“Peaceful Japanese Garden, not very large but very enjoyable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mytoi

Mytoi
Ranked #5 of 36 things to do in Edgartown
More attraction details
Owner description: Enter a secluded world of designed Japanese elegance in this garden environment of exotic and native plantings that encircle a serene pond.
Potomac
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Peaceful Japanese Garden, not very large but very enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I first remember going to Mytoi with a very close friend about 10 years ago. We had a great time and said prayers from my Russian Orthodox Christian prayer book. I know that's not exactly zen meditation but the garden is a it's a great place to relax with quiet time or enjoy with friends and family as a social event. Also, do NOT neglect the paths across the road. They lead through the woods to a cove of sorts. The paths are quite a different experience than a Japanese garden but add a lot to a visit to Mytoi. The view of the cove is wonderful and the walk through the woods takes only about 20 minutes though you can linger longer if you wish.
When I returned to Mytoi last summer with my wife, toddler son and in-laws we had a GREAT time strolling the gardens and, as I said, we also GREATLY enjoyed the paths across the road which, as I understand it, are also open to the public.

2 Thank JohnS3712

Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“A small chunk of quiet beauty on Chappy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

It takes effort to get there - the little ferry from Edgartown to Chappy and then a bike ride or walk to Mytoi but it's worth it. Combine it with one of the Trustees of Reservations naturalists' tours and it's a great day!

4 Thank Ellie B
new york
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“If you're there...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We took a drive around Chappaquidick to see what we could see and stopped at the gardens. They have some nice plantings but it is small but serene. They run tours out to the lighthouse from there also. Nothing much else to see there (except we did find a little semi-private 9-hole golf course that it seems not too many people know about) so if you go over to Chappy, stop at the garden. I know a lot of volunteers put their time in to keep it in shape.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank newyorktraveler98
Laurel, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Lovely Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Mytoi Gardens offers a pretty, serene place for quiet contemplation, as Japanese Gardens are wont to do. It's evident that the place is being cared for - there was evidence of repairs to some of the railings. The little nooks with various plants or stone features were nice, and you never knew what you'd find when you rounded another corner. There is no fee, but there is an opportunity to give donations.

One downside is that it is so close to the road, especially at the center where the bridge and koi pond are. As people ride by on their bikes, their loud chatter disturbed the peaceful atmosphere. I would imagine that in the non-summer months, this disturbance is much less.

The other difficulty is for those who are not very mobile. My mother-in-law can't walk very far, and with roots growing over the path, she was hesitant to try. So she and my father-in-law waited near the entrance for my husband and me to finish going through. There is an area with steps going up and down hill (not standard stairs, but a riser, then a flat area 3-4 feet long, then another riser, and so on) - but that can be bypassed if you can't do steps. I have a bum knee, and was able to handle the steps just fine.

3 Thank CarvingFool
Gloucester City, New Jersey
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Pretty, serene, free”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Considering this is a free area for people to enjoy, I don't think it's reasonable for anyone to expect that it is meticulously cultivated. It is a pretty little area that offers a serene place for a quiet stroll. It's nothing wildly exotic or stunning. Make sure you take bug spray!

Visited July 2013