“Bustling Restaurant on the Harbor”

Atlantic Fish & Chop House
Ranked #10 of 66 Restaurants in Edgartown
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Newport, Rhode Island
“Bustling Restaurant on the Harbor”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

We have eaten here for lunch and dinner, the restaurant is right on the harbor and has indoor and outdoor seating on patio areas so the views are very nice. It was very busy both times, especially at dinner. The food is very good but quite expensive and so are drinks. I thought they had a good wine list and plenty of choices by the glass also. For lunch we had salads; I had a lump crab salad and my husband had a lobster arugula salad, both were large and delicious. For dinner we went with another couple and for appetizers tried the clam chowder, the beet salad, house salad and wedge salad. The beet salad was delicious with gold and red beets, the dressing on the green salad was really good, the wedge was quite large and just okay; too much lettuce, not enough tomatoes and no onions. Clam chowder was good.

For dinner, my husband and I split a 16 oz sirloin and had a side of sautéed mushrooms and grilled artichokes. Everything was really good, the steak was cooked perfectly and portions were plenty. Our friends had the seared tuna sandwich with the slaw and the lamb bolognese which they said were both very good.

The food was very fresh, portions are large and service was good. The only drawback are the prices. Appetizers are in the $15-$20 range and dinners are in the $30+ range. Wines by the glass ranged from $10 to $35 and mixed drinks were priced $11 to $18+.

• Visited August 2014

• Thai first
glencove1
“The only reason I am saying this is average is the view is so great”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Talk about disappointment! We got great seats overlooking the harbor ... but that is just about the best thing I can say about my recent dinner here. First the drinks ... I ordered a Sophia Loren. It was good but full of floating strands of rosemary that made it mighty hard to drink. My friend ordered an Elizabeth Taylor. That one was a disaster. So sweet it was undrinkable. Then I ordered a cod dish. I asked the waiter what came with it. He said "It comes with nothing." Nice... I ordered a side of mushrooms. My friend ordered a tuna sandwich. So I got the cod ... and it was coated with breading that totally obscured the taste of the overcooked cod. My friend said his dish was not particularly good. The mushrooms were good. The bill????? Expensive -- a lot more than it was worth.

1 Thank glencove1
Portland, Oregon
“Chaotic but fun”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Great selection of dishes to please anyone. Attractive place with pleasant, friendly staff. We were there over Labor Day weekend so it was crazy but our servers made it as mellow as possible.

One annoyance: I am short and have short legs and I hate sitting at those tall pub stools, which we were forced to do if we wanted to sit on the deck. I'll never understand why those pub stools are so popular! But this was a minor annoyance and otherwise the meal was delightful.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank ImeldaTheHon
Edgartown, Massachusetts
“Some what over priced for the quality and quantity of food”
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Lobster roll was fair at best, not the typical amount one would expect for a New England resturant by the harbor

1 Thank Islander1971mv
Weymouth, Massachusetts
“Great food, incredible service, and beautiful views”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

On a recent week long bike trip with VBT to Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard, our guide suggested the Atlantic Fish and Chop House for an "on your own dinner" night. We gathered several of the group together, which turned out to be 7 of us, and had absolutely no problem getting a table. No looks from the hostess that clearly said, "No reservation? hmmm." , just a welcoming, "follow me." We were seated on the outside deck with a great view of the harbor. Our waitress was a gem from the first second she started talking to us. We were having fun, and we were with a couple of seriously funny people, so there was a lot of laughter from our table. She joined right in with our joking and helped us with all questions in good humor. Even as she got busier, she was attentive and friendly. Then came the food. Unbelievably wonderful. My husband had Scottish Swordfish, I had Salmon. Both were grilled to perfection. Our friend to my right had a steak that made us all laugh at how huge it was. He shared it with another member of our party, who could not stop talking about it for the rest of the trip.
We shared large plates of vegetables, served family style, and all were baked or grilled perfectly. Then came dessert. We shared two gargantuan size pieces of cake, one chocolate and one carrot. With seven of us, we could not finish them, and took them back for our guides.
I cannot recommend this incredible restaurant highly enough. There was literally not a single aspect of our dining experience that wasn't close to perfection.

1 Thank celticwoman50