“Great Location but not a luxury hotel”
Review of Harborside Inn

Harborside Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Edgartown
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Great Location but not a luxury hotel”
Reviewed August 3, 2006

I have been going to this place for a few summers now. There are lots of pros and cons depending on what you like.
Pros:
Located right in the heart of Edgartown, so it is steps away from restaurants, bars, and shops.
Great view if you have the harbor view
Access to the dock if you have a boat
Some rooms have great balconies
Clean
Kitchen/Dining area including stoves, refigerators, blenders, etc.
Nice Pool
Decent size rooms
Parking Lot (which is a HUGE plus since Edgartown has NO parking anywhere)
Great for families (game room, pool, and a safe area)

Cons:
Small bathrooms with scratchy towels
Once a day maid service
No room service or restaurants on premises
Must drive to get to a beach
Beds are not extremely comfortable
View of the street if you don't have a harbor view

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The towels
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
8 Thank keirao

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Reviewed July 12, 2006

We stayed at the Harborside Inn for five nights in June 2006. We had a balcony center room facing beautiful Edgartown Harbor and Chappaquidick Island. Our room had a private balcony with a lounge and chair that was perfect for gazing over the entire area. The rooms were beautifully done and very comfortable. The front desk staff was very helpful on arrival and they even made us a dinner reservation at a great restaurant.

Our room was very clean and kept clean during our stay. The housekeeping staff is very friendly.

We brought our 24’ boat with us and were able to dock it at the Harborside docks for an additional charge. The Dockmaster was very professional and assisted us with good information about where to fish.

We are looking forward to returning the Harborside in the Fall for some more good dining and fishing

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 29, 2006

Good location, but be careful if you have allergies. The newer buildings closer to the water are full of mold and mildew - the dehumidifier running full blast and the cover-up air fresheners should have warned us.

The rooms in the colonial era houses are better but there are pets allowed with the resulting issues for subsequent guests.

Not particularly barrier-free once you get past check-in.

Staff tries to be accommodating, but the manager does not embrace the great tradition of New England hospitality.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
19 Thank SD92101
Reviewed July 20, 2004

Went down for the weekend of 7/16/04 to visit friends who live on Island for some boating, beaches and relaxation. Checked in without incident and staff gave a parking pass to my host so he could park downtown. Good start. The Inn is located right in the downtown area near everything in Edgartown and extends back to the water. My room was in the Chappaquiddick House. Room was standard stuff. One problem not apparent at check in was the window directly behind the bed had no curtains, only a flimsy venetian blind, so at 7am the room was bathed in sunlight. Friday night after returning to the Inn things went downhill rapidly. After returning from dinner and drinks at 1am (bar closing time is 12.30am) I decided to walk a bit and enjoy the grounds. As I walked to the rear of the Inn in an area of tables and chairs overlooking the Harbor, a belligerent staff member who appeared to be of Haitien or Caribbean descent chased after me and asked if he could help me and if I was a guest. I replied that I was fine and that I was a guest. He retreated. I continued down to the Boat slip area and looked out over the water. As I was walking back, the same staff member was charging towards me, he aggressively asked me to identify myself and my room number. Bear in mind, that in my Khakis, polo shirt and $10,000 watch I hardly cast a long shadow of criminality. He was brandishing a large flashlight which he used to check a piece of paper that listed guests. He seemed unsatisfied, although my name was there, he rudely told me I was not allowed in that area. He hovered around me as I walked the 10 feet or so away from the slips, he disappeared for a moment. I was somewhat shaken and sat down. I walked to the rear of my Building and purchased a drink from the vending machine. I then slid my card to enter the Inn and sleep, but my adventures were not over. A red dot appeared. I decided not to panic but to walk around to the front of the building and try that entrance. Before I made it, the awful staff member blocked my path and became hostile. I told him the card did not work. He asked: "Are you an idiot?" "Are you stupid or something?" I was dumbfounded, he shouted that the entrance I was trying to use "had nothing to do with my room." Yeah, it was on the other side of the building. He then said he would "escort " to my room, which he did in a completely belligerent and insolent manner. Needless to say the entire encounter was unpleasant. It interfered with my sleep for the evening and was the worst service in any hotel, motel or Inn I have ever experienced. To top it off, the phone rang promptly at 11.10 am waking me from my sleep, and I was told to get out, as check out was at 11am. My request for an additional 30 minutes was met by a pronouncement there would be a late fee. Fun Indeed.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, General Manager at Harborside Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2004
I investigated the problems the guest had with our staff on the weekend of 7/16/04. Our security person's report for the evening was reviewed and he was interviewed. My investigation determined that the guest was walking around the property at 2:10 am and seemed to be confused. Two other guests felt uncomfortable and informed security. Security saw the guest and asked him to return to his room. The security report indicated that the guest had obviously been drinking alcohol and was agitated. Security person escorted him back to his room. Like the guest, the security person is dressed in Khakis and polo shirt, he carries a 6" flash light to assist in indentifying guests and checking out our parking lot. He instructed to be available for guests if they have problems and assist them in any way he can. He is a Jamaican and has been employed by the Harborside Inn for seven years. We have had no other complaints regarding his treatment of guests in his security duties. In fact, we get many compliments on his way of helping guests late in the evening. We probably did call the guest's room in the morning to determine whether he was checking out, as our check-out time is 11:00 a.m. All our literature and room notices carry this information regarding checkout. We extend late checkouts to guests if at all possible. Our records indicate the the guest checked out at 11:50 a.m. It is always distressing to us to hear about a guest that is unhappy about their experience with us. Unfortunately, he did not express his feelings at the time of departure. We would have been able to discuss it with him at that time. All of the Staff at the Harborside Inn strive to make all our guests "VIP's" and receive daily kudos for our friendly and helpful staff members.
Reviewed April 29, 2004

Beautiful Inn! extremely relaxing, set in a great town, in a great location, friendly people. Easy walk to the shops, movies, resturants. Balcony looks over the ocean. Heated pool looking over ocean also, hot tub and sauana. A beautiful Inn on a beautiful island. One of the most relaxing places I have ever visited.

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2003

Repeat customer to the Harborside Inn. Wonderful, huge porch attached to the room (Waterview Balcony Center room) to enjoy an early sunrise or some cozy moments any time of the day. Excellent location in the heart of Edgartown and comfortable accomodations in historic old sea captians homes. Walk to shops, Chappaquidick Ferry, restaurants. Once we check in, there is little interaction with the staff since our room is in a different building, so it's quiet and feels private.

25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
Pequot Hotel
#1 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to Harborside Inn? Share your experiences!