“Ok for the price” 3 of 5 bubbles

Edgartown Commons
Boston, Massachusetts
“Ok for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed (2 adults and 2 kids) 3 years in a row, because the price, its clean and has a good location, please don't expect much more.... just a basic hotel with a great location, you can take the bus to anywhere from there.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cloquis

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights last summer in the middle of a larger new England trip. Loved the ability to get around on buses, loved the kitchen with full size fridge, loved the washer dryers so we could clothes washing mid week. Bed wasn't great, but enjoyed the living room and opportunity for the family to spread out. Would definitely come here again, and appreciated the reasonable cost room. Great place for sailors going through town! We could walk downtown and everywhere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Marylander44
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

My parents and I stayed here while attending a wedding over Labor Day weekend. We truly enjoyed it, and the location is absolutely perfect! A couple weeks after returning home, I realized that I had left a Lilly Pullitzer dress at the hotel. By the time I was able to call the hotel, they were closed for the season; however, Rick graciously offered to search for it. After a few days of searching, he was able to find my dress (!!) and ship it to me at no cost! As the dress was quite expensive, it meant so much that he was willing to invest his time and money to get it back to me! I'll definitely be back!!

2 Thank Lauren F
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed in room #22 with two queen sized beds in the bedroom and a living room with a small kitchen. It had tons of windows and a great atmosphere. While I've read that they don't have air conditioning, I was there in October and their heat definitely worked! They have good water pressure and well heated water. They furniture was a bit dated and the couch had seen better days. It's only two blocks away from all the cute stores in Edgartown - even less to some good coffee! I would stay here again in a heart beat!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank skaut
boston, ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

After reading all the reviews of the Edgartown Commons hotel/condo we (family of 5 - 3 kids under 10) thought we'd give it a try because of the price, space and kitchen facilities. After staying for a few nights I'd have to say I agree with the two/three star folks and the four/five starers as well. It's really dependant on what you're looking for in a vacation to Martha's Vineyard; if you expect ocean views, high nighly room rates, air conditioning, high end property managment/staffing and you're going to eat out every meal out then this might not be the place for you. But if you're looking for a very affordable room with a kitchen and a seperate bedroom near downtown Edgartown this is the place for you. For the time we were a ET Commons the temp was mid to high 80's during the day and 60's, 70's at night and we had no issue with it being hot for the unit we stayed in (lower floor of main building). A main bus stop to the entire island is 50 yards away and the main downtown isn't much further of a walk. It's in between state beach (calm waters) and South Beach (little rough) and there's plenty of onsite parking. The 'units' or condo's are all individually owned so some might be in better shape than others with updated cookware, silverware and appliances. The unit we stayed in was updated, clean, dry (read another reviewer say it was moldy, musty), great fans, appliances, etc (i obviously can't speak for the other units). I'd say the downside was the operations or management side of the stay. I guess I could have asked at some point but I didn't know if I should take out my own trash, if someone would come and pick it up or if I was supposed to leave it outside the door. There also isn't any daily room cleaning, unless, again I'm unaware of how things operate and I was somehow supposed to request room cleaning each day. Not a huge deal but you just didn't know how things worked and there weren't any instructions. Another example is a few run-ins with the pool - one night there were people swimming till 8pm and the next night it was locked up tight at 6pm (my hours might be off but it wasn't consistent). Similarly, one morning it was open at 9am and the next day it didn't open until after 10pm - nothing posted about the hours of operation, you just had to sorta deal with when it opened (I will say it seemed a little odd they decided to START cleaning the pool at 9:30). Anyway, overall a great place and if you're in Martha's Vineyard.

Room Tip: Lower floors might be less hot because they don't have direct sun contact.
3 Thank DaveMBoston
Hamden, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

edgartown commons is like our 2nd home. it gets better each year. we look forward to seeing all the same people who are there the same week .jan and rick are like family. our dates are set for 2013. can't wait.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

The price was OK...for Martha's Vineyard, basically $130/night. When we booked they knew we had 4 people. It sleeps 5. When we arrived the bedroom had a single and a queen and the living room had a fold out couch that had seen better days. The walls and ceiling were paper thin. There was no air conditioning and the humidity (on a labor day weekend) was very high. The sheets were older than the fold out bed. The curtains only held out the extreme sun. The room was like daylight, even at night. The swimming pool was just outside our door and the kids started at 6:30 every morning. We never had our sheets or towels changed in 3 nights and we never saw an employee, even at the front desk, in three days. We later found out that each room is owned separately by someone and the place is only managed. If I were the owners of our room, I would want my fees back. It really wasn't even that clean, although I saw no loose dirt. The furniture looked like maybe a mismatch from a Goodwill store. The bathroom was tiny and steamed up so badly you had to get out to stop sweating and get dressed. The sink was VERY small and you hit your head on the medicine cabinet when you brushed your teeth. But it was inexpensive....I would have paid twice the price for something better. In the end the wedding we attended was wonderful! But this rental was so bad we arrived home needing a vacation.

Room Tip: No Views. Martha' Vinyard is expensive. Plan to pay twice what you ordinarily do to get the sam...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Edgartown hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
The Christopher
The Christopher
#3 of 10 in Edgartown
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to Edgartown Commons? Share your experiences!