“Great family friendly spot”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Edgartown
Mattakesett Properties and Tennis Club
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Matakessett is a great place to go with your family

Right outside south beach, it is walking distance to the beach and a nice albeit long walk into edgartown. The rental units have multiple bedrooms and can accommodate many children. Matakessett offers many activities including camp for kids, night time activities, yoga etc into the price - there is lOts to do here!

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Opinioned_traveler

Reviewed May 27, 2010

we have been going to mattakesett (and the winnetu) for over 10 years. each summer we rent 3 condos in a row with other good friends who have kids the same as ours. the staff at mattakesett have come to know us well and are very helpful meeting our requests in terms of vacation timing and condo placement. the location is ideal. when our kids were very young, it was very easy to get to the pool or beach, lugging all of our beach toys, etc. now that they are very young teens, they have the independence to move about the resort freely and safely. easy bike ride to town for the kids too.
the resort offers everything you could need for a beach vacation. the condos have well equipped kitchens so that you can eat in and they also offer restaurant options. this resort is very thoughtful in planning activities for kids so that parents can get time out alone as well. the morning camper program is a must (also great way to meet potential babysitters!) afternoon cookies and lemonade for all ages is a nice treat as well.
every year, we've seen continued additions and upgrades to the services at the resort. they really seem to understand what families need at a vineyard beach resort.
we always feel like extended family when we're on the vineyard at mattakesett!
we have also stayed for long weekends at the winnetu over the years. same access to all the services as mattakesett, but in a real hotel setting.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank JACKIE_SEGALL
Reviewed May 21, 2010

This year we will visit Mattakesett for the 14th time. My children will not hear of changing our vacation plans for any other place. Mattakesett itself is the epitome of New England beach charm. When the kids were little, we rented a condo steps from South Beach, put them in Camp Matty every morning and had 3 hours to ourselves to ride bikes into Edgartown and talk and see the stores and be a couple. As they grew up we have been more able to give them freedom to come and go as they please, to ride on their own into town to the candy shop and for ice cream. They always meet other kids and make new friends. The condo is perfect for us because it is roomy, I save money by cooking and having breakfast and lunch things there, it has a pool and a basketball court and the kids can each bring a friend. With the beach so close there is no running around relentlessly in traffic but much being together, building sand castles and playing games. We come here to be together in this most beautiful place, where there are things we can do together as a family that time and pressures in our mainland lives prevent. It has been perfect for 14 years.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2006

I had really wanted to take my entire family to Martha's Vineyard to enjoy the combination of having a home that we would rent on their property and the use of the hotel ammenities that they had. I rented a "beachfront" home which I assumed was on "the beach." Boy was I wrong. Not only could we not see the beach from our "beachfront" home, but we had to cross a major highway in order to get to it. I was very upset since I was paying top dollar for "the beachfront home." when I called to ask about the property, I was very speciific in my needs, The service at the resort was consistently horrible. Nobody knew what they were doing......PLUS the hotel people told me that I didn't need my car and that everything was minutes a way. Well, town was 3.9 miles away and a $40.00 cab ride each way becasue it is based on how many peole you had in your cab. (we had 4) They had public transporation which we took a lot but the bus only ran until 9pm... Also, at this "resort" they had the smallest dirtiest pool. I became the complaining guest who complained about everything from upon arrival finding TICKS in 3 of the beds to the fact that housekeeping only came when they remembered. I would never go back, they wern't nice, nor accomodating. We ended up leaving 2 days early (we were suppose to be there 7 days) after spending 7k for what appeared to be a nice house on the web ...turned out to be one big headache..

Family From NY, NY

Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank beemercorp
Reviewed May 23, 2005

Our family (my husband and three kids) have been traveling to Mattakesett for the past 8 years. It is a great, although casual, "resort" if you know what to ask for. The condos are all individually owned and decorated. Management now rates them "Gold", "Silver" or "Bronze" depending upon how nicely they are decorated and if they have been updated (new kitchens, etc). There is a HUGE difference between "Gold" and "Bronze" (personally, I would not stay in a Bronze unit). I recommend asking how updated your unit is before you agree to rent.

The pool area is nice, although a bit worn. Small kiddie pool.

One of the best things about staying here is the day camp for kids 3-12. It is staffed by college students and it runs everyday (but Sunday) from 9-12. They do a great job and the kids love it. The camp counselors are often available for babysitting in the evening as well. There are additional evening programs for the kids too.

The other great thing is the short walk to South Beach.

We've always had a great time here. My biggest piece of advice is to ask specifics about the condition of your condo. Some are not very nice.

• Stayed: July 2004