“A good value in a perfectly central location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kelley House

Kelley House
Ranked #8 of 10 Edgartown B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“A good value in a perfectly central location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

This inn was undergoing renovations when we stayed. They were reworking the lobby area... hopefully they were making their way through the guestrooms. Our room was very clean but the bathroom was a little "tired" and could use a face lift. We had to ask for a space heater as they shut the heat off in the building a few days earlier and it was still a bit on the cool side at the end of May, but they accommodated and it was no problem. The bedding was comfortable and we slept well. Being an older inn, however, the soundproofing was not the best. We could hear footsteps above our heads and voices of people speaking loudly in the adjoining room.... but that was before 9pm. We had no issues with sleeping or other guests. The amenities were nice too. A refrigerator in our room, a Keurig coffee maker ready with a handful of pods... etc... it is right in the heart of Edgartown... across from the ferry to Chappaquiddick and surrounded by shops and places to eat. We didn't get a chance to try their restaurant but we really wanted to. The menu looked great. Overall, I would give it a solid 4 out of 5. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor and could hear people above us. Perhaps a higher level would have elimi...
1 Thank mam361

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Saratoga NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

I've been going to The Kelley House every spring for about 15 years. I'm always amazed at the charm of the inn which is over two hundred years old, the rose bush hedges which greet you, Hyde planted gardens, the cozy lobby with the fire place, high backed chairs, Oriental rugs. Well, it's all gone now. New owners seem to want to " update" what was once a cozy inn. Gone are the hedges, the gardens weren't planted, the lobby is stripped of its charm, replaced with scaffolding and signs apologizing for painting! Really? I'm on vacation. You should have attended to this before I arrived. Linen and leaning carts left in the halls all hours of the day and night, someone outside with power trimmers at 8:00 a.m. And I get a sign saying, Pardon our appearance? Don't think so. How inappropriate to have workmen on scaffolds with huge fans blowing while I am trying to enjoy my time off from work. Hardly relaxing. I only wish I could have said, Pardon me for not paying full price for your rooms. Disappointed to say the least.

Room Tip: Go to a different place.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank knitwitnurse
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Pros: Great location in the middle of town, charming old inn, good sized rooms, staff brought us a space heater because the heat had been shut off and it was cold. The off-season rate before Memorial Day was very reasonable.
Cons: Our upstairs neighbor's footsteps were thunderous. But the biggest caveat is that if you need to park a car, there are approximately half the number of parking spaces as rooms. There is a public lot across the street which allows overnight parking until 6:00 AM (!) after which you must move your car every 2 hours. So we ended up planning our day around our parking space. If I go back I will either go without a car or look for someplace else.

Room Tip: The top floor won't have the noise of footsteps above your ceiling.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

The title says it all. There were pros and cons to this stay. But I'll end on a high note, so I'll start with the cons.

Cons: the weekend was unseasonably warm and the room was stuffy. The air wasn't turned on yet, so we couldn't regulate the temperature. My boyfriend's allergies were acting up so we couldn't sleep with the windows open. The front desk did give is a fan to use, but it didn't really help. The TV was small and old with a bad picture (but let's be honest - you're not there to watch TV), the walls were paper thin and we could hear those in the rooms next to is and in the hall. The bathroom was functional and clean but the shower could use some updating.

Pros: great location just a few steps from Main Street. Awesome pub next door for drinks/dinner. Short walk to the lighthouse. Very friendly staff. Comfortable beds. Small refrigerator to use. Complimentary coffee and muffins to start your day and milk and cookies to end it.

All-in-all I would stay here again. You're wasting your trip if you spend a lot of time in your room when visiting Martha's Vineyard anyway.

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Caitlyn C
East Bridgewater, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

room had stained rug.............cobwebs and dust..............room above made noise all night............phone to desk did not work...............heater in room stayed on all night...........room was roasting............even with windows open...........

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Clark_Guinn, Regional Director of Operations at Kelley House, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
It was disappointing to see your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Kelley House. Clearly, our housekeeping staff failed to provide you with a freshly cleaned room. I have shared your comments with the Director of Rooms so that this oversight is communicated as unacceptable to the housekeeping staff.
The beginning of this year a new phone system was installed and during the migration, entry and testing of each individual guest room phone was completed to verify the phone system worked properly. However, with recent reconstruction a few wires were inadvertently cut which affected 2 of the guest rooms; both have since been repaired.
Regulating the temperature in Kelley House is challenging to control when we are between the winter and summer seasons. Unfortunately, the system is a historic 1 way heating system, running either hot or cold and it cannot turned off as it is required to heat the water for showers; in turn creates radiant heat in the guest rooms.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the calamity of errors you experienced. In an effort to redeem you as a valued guest, I would like to offer you a complimentary return stay, so we may reverse the impression we unintentionally gave. To arrange, please contact my assistant, Lynn at 508-356-2102.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at Kelley House no regrets whatsoever as it is what it is. A very well located old fashioned Inn which is comfortable and everything works. It doesn't merit four or five stars in our book as it doesn't compare with some of the high end B&B's we are lucky to have become accustomed to. The location is excellent however and the staff could not have been more pleasant or helpful. We hired bikes round the corner to Chappy and dined in lovely local restaurants. A good time and well recommended unless you are seeking very high end luxury.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Tony B
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

I recently took my first trip to Martha's Vineyard with my Family and the Kelley House made it such a great experience! We stayed for 3 nights in the Court House suite and the accommodations were immaculate. We had plenty of space for 4 adults and 2 kids, 2 beautiful bathrooms and the kitchen area was so convenient. The Newes Pub had great food for the adults and kids and was so accessible. But my favorite part of the staying at the Kelley House was that every morning the lobby has fresh muffins and coffee and tea, and every evening there was freshly baked cookies, and milk! Both the kids and us adults loved that! The lobby was beautifully decorated and you could sit right and front of a roaring fire and relax. In addition to all the wonderful features, the staff was so great and so attentive. I had absolutely no complaints! We are making this a tradition.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kaitlyn K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
The Christopher
The Christopher
#2 of 10 in Edgartown
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to Kelley House? Share your experiences!