“1979 not much has changed!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kelley House

Kelley House
Ranked #8 of 10 Edgartown B&B and Inns
Minnetonka, Minnesota
“1979 not much has changed!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

After reading the comments of other travelers I must say--it appears that not much has changed since our visit in 1979!!!

We only had reservations for one night-due to a nasty storm we were unable to return to Falmouth as all of the ferry boats were locked in port. The staff at the Kelly House were so wonderful and they went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and arranged for a special rate ($$) and they had to work extra hours finishing the renovations on a room that was not ready for use.

My wife and our two children (now grown) have fond memories of the Kelly House!

Room Tip: Enjoy the warmth and charm of the house - the staff-and the overall location!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

You are paying for location and that is about it. One of the previous reviews said it best, "uninspiring."

The hotel was clean but was not up todate. The carpet through-out our room and parts of the hotel was stained and bordered on disgusting. It is an old noisy hotel. In our room we could hear ever step taken on the floor above us and as people moved up and down the hallway and stairs.

The staff was fine, but I expected better and more attentive service for the cost. If you need a place to sleep but not hang out this is the place. Get in and get out quickly.

Avoid the restaurant "The Newes." Went there twice, once out of curiosity and the second time out of exhausting and desperation (my fault, granted) and the service was not great. We were told we could be seated but we could not order for 15 minutes because of something going on in the kitchen. I think the bartender looked drunk. I ordered a particular glass of wine from their menu and was given something different. Only when I brought it to their attention did they tell me they were out of the wine I asked for and didn't bother to tell me.

They supplied chocolate chip cookies and milk in the evening...that was nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank R F
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Not having stayed elsewhere on MV, I don't know how this place compares with other establishments. We stayed for one night during shoulder season with a reasonable price. We had a large corner room on the second floor. The decoration is outdated and the bathroom needs a makeover. The mattress was a bit saggy. We did like how bright the room is. Given that it is an old building, it is not noise-proof, especially if there is a floor above. The staff member is professional and tries to be helpful, but does not seem warm. The location is convenient, close to the waterfront. Free parking is a nice bonus. There is no breakfast, but free coffee and muffin did the job.

Room Tip: ask for a third floor room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tacz
Garner, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We recently spent the weekend in the Chappy House with our dog. The location was fantastic and super convenient to the downtown area shops and restaurants. The room was perfect for us and very pet-friendly without it being a "pet" room (ie. no smells, stains, etc...). We were on the 1st floor of the Chappy House and it was very quiet and private. Access to the small yard area was perfect for our dog. The room was laid out well and was very clean. Great place to stay! If we ever make it back to MV, we'll totally go back for sure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CourBor
Oak Forest, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was a family trip - 4 adults (kids being 24 and 26). We wanted to explore historic, quaint Martha's Vineyard over the Easter holiday weekend. This was off season for MV and we got a very good price for a very good room. I spent a lot of time reviewing Trip Advisor for the perfect Inn, but did not want to book through a clearing house site. I simply called the Kelley House and they very graciously honored the best price I was able to find online. They even suggested a room that would be best for a family of 4 adults. As soon as you pull up, you notice how meticulously the grounds are maintained. You are warmly welcomed by a burning fireplace with comfy chairs, and a pleasant host, very eager to please their guests. We walked up two floors to our room (307) and were impressed with how much space was in this room! The decor was up to date and clean. The linens not only smelled clean and fresh, but appeared so, too. The bathroom was nicely stocked with amenities. There was FREE wifi *in* the rooms - rare these days. Within 20 minutes of checking in, we received a call to make sure everything was up to par and asked if there was anything we needed to call. We were also reminded that there would be complimentary cookies and milk that evening.

The only expected "drawback" from most any Inn or B&B is, of course, the quietness. We expected this, and it was actually quieter than we expected. We took the advice of other reviewers and opted for a higer floor. The doors to the rooms are "old school" with an actual key (does not identify your room), and it was not a heavy duty, silencing type door. That would be my only reason for not giving a perfect 5.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 307 - VERY spacious room with a King Bed and Double size sofabedf. We also had a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KristaLee65
Norwood, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have been to many places in MV over the decades. Looking for a place to chill out for my family after a tragedy. I read many reviews before decision. Charlotte who had exc. recommendations did her job superbly. No request was overlooked, room near lobby was so peaceful fire going in lobby every day was most welcoming. Karen, a nite mgr. loves her job serving the public and it shows. Never saw a housekeeping staff but rm. always cleaned on return. Great coffees and muffins, fridge, cookies and milk every nite. MV has a quality that is so comforting and at this time of year it is all yours. Look no further great value for the money and off season you can't beat it. Please get Charlotte back Kelley House even her staff love her, the best people. Thanks so much from the Sturtevants....

Room Tip: Did not see children activities, pool not open yet, no fitness center that I saw, first floor is exc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank marciasturtevant
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

A totally bias review here. Since 2001 the Kelley House has been my summer vacation spot. My family has gotten to know the staff as they've gotten to know us. I really don't know if I get special treatment. I watch interaction with all guests and the special treatment is given to all. In the past twelve years we've incorporated a few day trips and weekend stays on the vineyard. I will stay no where else.

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Harbor View Hotel
The Christopher
The Christopher
#2 of 10 in Edgartown
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to Kelley House? Share your experiences!