“A No Risk, First Class Experience”
Review of The Hob Knob

The Hob Knob
Ranked #1 of 10 Edgartown B&B and Inns
Vancouver
“A No Risk, First Class Experience”
Reviewed June 17, 2007

A colleague recommended the Hob Knob on the short list of places to stay in Edgartown. My wife and I were lucky to get a weekend room so late but were shocked at the price - almost $400 a night, which is by the far the most my we've ever spent on a B&B or inn for a room, not including dinner. So it was with high expectations and a lot of hope that we made our way to the Hob Knob. I should mention as well that a gourmet breakfast was included, which was THE BEST breakfast I've ever had at a B&B, no contest.

All said, we LOVED the Hob Knob. The staff, especially Erin and Emily, were first class, extremely helpful, and helped make the weekend perfect. I can't say enough about the enitre staff and Erin and Emily in particular. I wish all places had such amazing people.

If you are looking for a no risk and exceptional experience, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Hob Knob. Edgartown surpassed all expectations as well. This was our first visit to MV but it will not be our last.

• Liked — the staff and overall high quality of everything provided
  • Disliked — the price is admittedly very high for a B&B... but better than 95% of what's out there!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CraigR23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 22, 2007

We stayed here for one night in May 2007. When we arrived they had upgraded us to a top floor room. The room was very clean. The bed was extremely comfortable. Fresh flowers were found in the room. The decor was pretty and typical of a bread and breakfast. There was a flat panel screen TV. In the afternoon they serve delicious pastries and tea. Morning breakfast allowed us to choose from a few menu items, as well as help ourselves to cereal, fruit and scones. Breakfast was above average. The only drawback was that the floors creak a bit, so we could hear people walking around. It didn't bother us too badly though. We would recommend a stay here at this pretty little inn.

• Liked — Comfortable and quaint
Stayed May 2007
1 Thank Kabecka
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 20, 2007

The Hob Knob is, just as previous reviewers write, a lovely place. It is set in Edgartown, one of the three main towns on Martha's Vineyard, though probably the quietest. It is just a few minutes walk from plenty of shops and restaurants.

The property itself is beautiful. You can see that great care is taken with the maintenance and landscaping. There is a great front porch with plenty of seating so you can relax with a book or take a little nap.

The same goes for the common areas. They are cozily decorated and have lots of places for you to whittle time by with coffee or tea (provided from 9 until 9 each day) and the newspaper.

Our room was also quite nice, if a bit impersonal. Instead of being uniquely decorated like most B&Bs, this one had more of a hotel-ish look to it. The bed was comfortable with down pillows & comforter, and the linens were high-quality. And it was extremely clean.

The bathroom was nice but basic. It did have a marble vanity, but the rest was tiled in plain white ceramic. Very clean, though, and I loved the Aveda toiletries.

Afternoon tea and breakfast are included in your room rate. Tea was self-serve with cookies and banana bread. Breakfast included a buffet of fruit, yogurt and scones, with self-serve coffee/tea and then an order is taken for your choice of entree. Everything was fresh and delicious.

My only criticism- and it's not actually a complaint at all, just a difference from what I expected, is that this property lacks the personal touch of most B&Bs. It is a very professionally run establishment, which again isn't a bad thing. The staff is very accommodating and nice, but very professional. And if you're looking to make personal connections with the owner like I do at other B&Bs, it probably isn't going to happen here. This place is run just like a small hotel. Just a few examples: the pay snack basket in the rooms, the extra charges for internet access, the advertisements for the owner's realty business, and the suggested gratuities list. Again, none of this really bothers me, it's just not really like most B&Bs, where there is a more intimate feel. And maybe I'm in the wrong here assuming the Hob Knob bills itself as a B&B at all - I just assumed it was that as I discovered it on some B&B sites.

Bottom line, a lovely, lovely inn, but if a personal touch is what you're looking for, it's probably not going to happen here.

• Liked — Very clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kikiroo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 10, 2007

We arrived at the Hob Knob on a cold Monday night during our 14-and 16- year old teen's spring break after a busy visit to New York City and Boston. When I phoned the Inn to make the reservation the night before we arrived, I happened to mention that it was my daughter's birthday and Vera, the manager, sweetly asked if she could provide us with a cake to celebrate upon our arrival - right then I knew this would be a great place to stay. What a delightful experience we had! It was truly the highlight of the entire trip, although we stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels in the city, the ambience and cheerful attitude we encountered at the Hob Knob were superior and so contrary to the other reviews I had read about it here previous to our stay.

We found the breakfast to be sumptuous and plentiful, the public rooms artfully and tastefully designed, but incredibly comfortable and cozy. Andrew was so kind and courteous, as was everyone else we encountered. My husband was shown the bike barn a few doors away and pedaled happily all around Edgartown, which was quite (happily!) deserted at this time of year. The Inn is just 2 or 3 blocks from the downtown area where we walked to eat dinner and lunch, and went to the downtown matinee (a bargain, I might add, for first-run shows).

The rooms are all spotlessly clean (we peeked at them all) and each is different, but all have in common a spotless bathroom with plenty of light and counter space (a big problem in most Inns and B&B's), large windows overlooking either the garden or the quaint Main Street, incredibly comfy beds, and several chairs along with tv, magazines, and Aveda bath products.

My kids and I spent an entire day in one of the downstairs public rooms playing Monopoly and nibbling on the delicious scones served at tea time. There is also a small but spotlessly clean workout room with several different machines and weights, along with a downstairs honor bar which the kids utilized for soft drinks during the stay. We had no problems with noise, and there was someone staying directly above us.

As to the "commercialization" issue pointed out in other reviews, I didn't really see the issue - there is a "gift shop" of sorts (merely a part of the front hallway carved out with some cabinets and a few shelves) selling a few logo products (tee shirts, hats, etc) but, truly, if you've stayed at any 4 star Inn or hotel, these items are well-loved, judging by the number of people wearing them! And the logo is actually quite nice.

All in all, my husband and I are quite excited to return by ourselves this summer or fall - and we do quite a bit of traveling, rarely returning to the same places.

1 Thank sanfrann
NJ
Reviewed February 18, 2007

I said in a previous review that I wouldn't stay at the Hob Knob again, but, never say never. A friend and I decided to go to MV in Feb and since there are not too many inns open I decided to try the Hob Knob again. I'm glad I did. The second visit was much much friendlier then the first one. I did notice that the people working there were not necessarily the same ones from the first visit so maybe that was the reason. Judy in particular was quite helpful on this visit.
I just want to say that the Hob Knob is worth a look... it's beautifully decorated... the linens are the best... there's several areas to go and relax in with a book or afternoon cup of tea.
I'm still not crazy about the commercialism of the inn.
But would I go back? Yes.

• Liked — Close to town.... beautifully decorated.... clean...
  • Disliked — Price tag on just about everything....
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MV2
Wirral,England
Reviewed January 5, 2007

We came to Martha's Vineyard in October for a very quick and very busy weekend to celebrate a friend's wedding. Knowing the schedule would be exhausting I wanted somewhere really special to stay and the Hob Knob came up trumps! It wasn't a cheap stay but if you define value for money by being very satisfied with your choice then this was good value.
We chose a deluxe room at the top of the house -I'm pretty sure it was room 16. It was quiet, very spacious, had a lovely bathroom and a very big, comfortable bed - just what you need when trying to grab sleep when your body says you shouldn't be but you have a huge wedding to attend in the middle of the night UK time!
Previous reviews had mentioned that the staff could be a little stand offish but we didn't find this at all. Infact, they couldn't have been nicer. They suggested the best places to go in Edgartown, they let me raid the kitchen before breakfast officially started, they even took the time to enquire how the Wedding went - by this time it had become known as the Clinton Wedding on account of the fact Bill was on the guest list. He couldn't make it though! We even got complimented on how nice we looked for the wedding - a nice touch from busy staff.
The breakfasts were delicious and the little dining room very pleasing to the eye. In warmer weather there are comfy settees out on the very pretty verandah. You can take breakfast and tea there or just sit and watch the world go by.
Even in our punishing schedule we made sure we were around for afternoon tea on both days - I wasn't going to miss THOSE scones! Simply delicious.
The Inn is in a great location, about a 5-10 minute stroll into Edgartown which is a beautiful little town. There is basically one street of nice little shops to browse in, some great eateries - we had a lovely lunch overlooking the harbour and then further round is the lighthouse and the beach.
I pondered long and hard about staying at the HK but I definitely made the right decision. It really is a lovely place to stay and for us it was a haven where we could relax and recover in between the various events of the weekend.
Value for money? For us - definitely!

• Liked — Very pretty, chintzy and cosy style of the Inn.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Go there! Don't stay at Oaks Bluff - horrid.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kittyhola
Reviewed June 9, 2006

After much research about Martha's Vineyard, we decided to stay two nights at the Hob Knob Inn. The Inn is located in Edgartown which is a short ride from where the ferry arrives in either Oak Bluffs or Vineyard Haven. At the advice of the manager of the Inn, we brought our car and were very happy we did. Upon our arrival at the Inn, we were promptly checked in and escorted to our room on the second floor. The Inn is very charming both on the inside and on the outside. Our room was on the small side with barley enough room for the king sized bed, a chair and dresser. The bathroom was clean and bright but also rather small. The bed was comfortable and despite the creaking floors above us, we both slept amazingly well each night. We woke each morning to the smell of freshing brewing coffee and goodies being baked in the kitchen below. Breakfast, which is included with your stay, consisted of cereal, scones, fruit and a hot entree of your choice. The food was wonderful and a great way to start the day! After a day of exploring the island, it was nice to return to the Inn for afternoon tea which is served daily. Not only is there a wonderful selection of teas and coffee, there were several types of goodies to chose from as well. It was a treat to snack on banana bread and tea while perched in front of the fireplace on a rainy afternoon.

The Inn offers plenty of parking and is a short walk from wonderful shops and restaurants in Edgartown. I had read over the other posted reviews before selecting the Hob Knob. I have to say that the service was good although not overly friendly. They smiled and were helpful when asked - but didn't go out of their way to socialize with you as you might expect from a small, intimate inn. I suspect, however, that it might be a Martha's Vineyard "thing" as we didn't find many locals to be very friendly.

As a side note, if you do visit Martha's Vineyard, be sure to dine at the Beach Plum Inn - it is a bit of a ride from Edgartwon but it is outstanding!

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank SweetPea
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgartown
Mansion House
Pequot Hotel
#1 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to The Hob Knob? Share your experiences!