“Tacky But Fun”

Ranked #18 of 69 Restaurants in Edgartown
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Quality ingredients, large portions, great prices and the freshest Margaritas in a 175 seat restaurant that is fun for families, singles, couples, young and young at heart...Open YEAR ROUND for lunch and dinner. This is where the Locals go.
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We went with a group of 21; 18 college girls, 2 chaperones, and a child. Being November, it was cold so we had to sit inside, and it was hard to get a table due to a large group in the back room who had been there for a couple of hours already and weren't leaving anytime soon (yikes!). The staff was very accommodating and worked hard to get us into at least the same area of the restaurant, even pulling tables and chairs from outside for us. The food was average, nothing to write home about, though decently priced. The staff was friendly as well; the waitress for my table struck up a conversation with us when she found out we were from the college she'd just applied to. The atmosphere is gaudy and tacky, but fun, as indicated by the sign consisting of a shark wearing a sombrero and holding a margarita! :)

SharkOwner, Owner at Sharky's Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Hi there and thanks for joining us...we consider our decor "acceptably cheesy" and all we want is for people to have fun, feel like they are on vacation and to be able to relax...We do not take ourselves too seriously, because as you mentioned, our logo is a shark wearing a sombrero! Thanks! JB

Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is the best place to go after a long bike ride. Get the nachos, trust me. They are huge and stuffed with yummy goodness.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I went late one night and just felt like some wings. I had a quick drink at the bar while I waited. The atmosphere was bar like with some mexican decor. It has a full bar and tv's for watching sports. In the past the fare is American - Mexican like. It is decent at best. The service is good. I was in there 10 minutes prior to closing and didn't feel rushed. The wings were ok. It's not a destination place but if you need late night grub or drink, it works.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We love Sharky's, and return every time we go to The Vineyard. It's a wonderful atmosphere and the food is terrific. If you like hot wings, their habanero / pineapple wings are my favorite. And they have a wonderful assortment of different Margaritas. Staff is very friendly. On an island where dining out can get pretty pricy, Sharky's is perfect for a family night out without breaking the bank.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We have gone here twice. The first time we went, the food was average but the atmosphere seemed lively. So we went back, and the food was very disappointing, and the margaritas were the worst I have ever been served anywhere. Watery with no alcohol (and I am not a twenty-something looking for heavy-duty drinking - we ordered margaritas after a long trip to the island, and just wanted to relax.) Service was slow and inept. I love Mexican food, but I've crossed this place off my list forever.

2  Thank travelingmom53
SharkOwner, Owner at Sharky's Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

I had a very nice email back and forth with this guest and found out more details about her visit. First let me mention that she ordered a frozen margarita, and I am 100% confident that it has the usual 2.25 ounces of alcohol in it. Frozen drinks never have the same alcohol taste...think of a pina colada or a frozen daquiri...the point is basically to not taste the alcohol and due to the very cold temperature of the drink there is less "boozy" flavor. Anyway, since working with this guest we actually reformulated our frozen margaritas to have a more concentrated sour mix flavor and we feel the results have been terrific. She says she will be back to taste test them, and I am very confident that our reputation of the best drinks anywhere will be preserved...Thanks! JB PS- regarding the food it seems she ordered a dish that had more cheese and sauce than she had hoped for, but I gave her some suggestions for a similar item that I think will fit in her taste profile much more...thanks!