“Horrible Experience”

Ocean Park Inn Cape Cod
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Eastham
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I don't even know where to begin with this review besides the fact that it was the worst hotel, correction motel, I have ever stayed in. I was going down to the Cape Friday night with five friends for a wedding I was attending Saturday. Before arriving to the hotel, I was on the website http://www.capecodopi.com/ , multiple times and it was completely deceiving. No where on the website does it state this is a Motel. I expected to be staying a a nice Cape Cod resort and the moment I pulled into the parking lot I was in shock. The pool is the first thng I saw and I was immediately disappointed, the whole reason for arrivng late Friday night was to have the ability to relax by the pool Saturday before the wedding, I don't even know how anyone would be able to sit by the pool, let alone relax, it was disgusting. Then we checked in and proceeded to go to our room. When we walked into our room the smell was almost unbearable, very harsh smell of sewage. Besides the fact that the rooms were out-dated, they were also horrendous. There were no closets, just a pole sticking out of the wall for us to hang our dresses on. Since we arrived late, my friend went into the bathroom to brush her teeth and wash her face for bed, all of a sudden I hear her scream, there was a huge cockroach in the sink. After killing the first cockroach we then saw a lot of moths, spiders, and other huge bugs all netted in cob webs that had to be growing over several years. The white towels they provided were tinted yellow, with red and brown stains covering them. I remember reading that the Four Points Sheraton was their sister hotel and had to call over there because the reception at Ocean Park Inn closed at 11pm and we immediately wanted to leave this place. There were no rooms unfortunately that night so we had to wait until 8am to call back and try and find a room for that next night. After not being able to sleep in all the flith we left the hotel room once it became light out and waited until we could try and switch out at 8am. After many calls, trips back and forth to the office, housekeeping verfiying that everything we were saying was the truth about the room, they switched us into the hotel next door. But it wasn't a smooth process, the GM was apparently not working all weekend and the people working kept telling us they didn't have the authority to give us a refund and kept using that as an excuse for not being able to help us out. It was an overall horrible experience and I highly do not recommend staying here. It is completely deceiving, the website never mentions that it is a motel, the pictures are not even of the actual property, and the rooms are absolutely disgusting. Also very over priced, $192 per night with a two-night minimum is outrageous for the qualtiy of the place. I took pictures of all the spiders. bugs, and towels but do not know how to upload them onto the website.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank gmk123
Cassandra_Innkeeper, Manager at Ocean Park Inn Cape Cod, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Hi “gmk123”,

Hello, I hope I do not come off as defensive as I attempt to address the items that you mentioned in your review. First off, I believe you are the first person who has expressed any complaint about the outdoor pool so I was surprised to read that in your review. As you can see from the pictures on the website, the Ocean Park Inn is clearly a motel-style property. Our Executive Housekeeper did verify a single spider was found in the room. Yes, any insect is not pleasant however we are an outdoor property and it is nearly impossible for us to keep all of mother natures small insects out. You did mention a “cockroach.”, which was unconfirmed as you had disposed of the specimen. As for the towels being stained, we did check them with you in the room and they were not stained. Your father made arrangements for you to stay at the Four Points by Sheraton due to your discomfort with the property; we did not “move” you. We are very sorry that you did not find your stay pleasurable and hope that you did enjoy the rest of your weekend and were satisfied with the compensation that was extended to you.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked this room last minute for a family get together - if it was a better price point (not the $180 plus per night) I would appreciate this motel better. The shower was really bad and the bed was a typical motel - but if you didn't get any promotions (2nd night free, etc ) stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Excellent customer service, cozy New England Style, unique lawn and picnic area with building length balconies make this a very enyoyable place to stay. Rooms were cleaned well daily and the location was quiet and convienient. The in-room fridge, and the office coffee station and microwave are a plus and the staff goes out of their way to assist you and provide what you need. This lodging is not a "fancy" place, but rather, is friendly and welcoming, with an at-home feel. We were there for a week and were very happy, will definitely stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms perpendicular to the road get less direct sun if you plan to be on balcony during the day.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Hi “Madrone55”,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and I appreciate you taking the time to post a review!
We are thrilled to see you enjoyed our inn and got the real feel for our property. As you said,
although we are not fancy, we strive to be friendly and welcoming and provide clean, comfortable
and convenient accommodations. I will be sure to pass along the positive comments to our staff.
We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were very disappointed by our room, because it had no table & therefore didn't have 2 chairs for the 2 of us to sit. There weren't many rooms that had both desk & a table, but we were lucky enough that such a room was free on our 2nd night. Every time we made a request, the staff were very eager to help, however, we shouldn't have had to make so many requests. In all the rooms we looked at, there was a cheap horizontal blind on the east side of the room that did not block the early morning light & we were awakened at 5:45 a.m. We had to get the maintenance staff to put cardboard on the window, There was also no curtain in the shower in 1 room & a see through curtain in the other, so the light from the bathroom woke us up. There was almost no space to put anything in the bathroom & no place to hang towels. The room was cramped, with little space to hang anything. I wouldn't have stayed here if I hadn't gotten a special rate because of a course I was taking next door.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a desk & a table. Get them to put cardboard in the raised window before you...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Hi “icjg”,

Thank you for your honest feedback. Yes, it is true that not all of our rooms have a table and two
chairs due to the different layout in some of our rooms. Some have a desk and a chair and some have a table and two chairs. Thank you for bringing to our attention the light that shines in the back window. We had not heard this before and we will be sure to look into it. I apologize that you were not completely satisfied during your stay but I am happy to hear that the staff was eager to assist.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We had stayed there before on a professional business conference held next door. This location advertised it had been "updated." No updates were noted from the past visit and the room was overall shabby and the carpet was dirty. Tub drain was broken and we were given what appeared to be a piece of rubber tubing to cover the drain. When showering, the water would begin at the desired temperature but would turn extremely hot or cold during the shower. The free Wifi either did not work or the signal was too weak to use. Staff was friendly but this did not help the poor quality of the room. Bring you own coffee pot. We would not stay there again.

Room Tip: They may have nicer rooms. This may be fine for families who spend very little time in the room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Hi “SammieMWaco”

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you thought of your recent stay. I am
disappointed that you were not thoroughly satisfied. I am not sure where you saw that
the property was “updated” but there were some improvements since last year, such as
custom designed new window treatments in all of the rooms and new carpet in several
rooms. The staff will appreciate that you found them to be friendly. I am sorry to hear
that you would not consider staying with us again but I do appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Pet friendly rooms! Yay! The place was clean, nice outdoor pool, room was decently decorated. Margaret (front desk), was very friendly, and she had a good amount of knowledge about things to check out in the area. She got us extra towels right away. We will probably stay again, b/c it is hard to find a decent place to stay that allows dogs. As far as improvement goes....the price is high for a motel set up. Things to improve on would be...coffeemaker in the room, hairdryer, wifi that you can connect to well (it is very poor in room 6 where we stayed). Other than that, we had a good stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nessa43443
FPEastham, Front Office Manager at Ocean Park Inn Cape Cod, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Hi Nessa43443,
Thank you for your feedback! I will be sure to tell Margaret your kind words. I am glad you were able to enjoy the Cape with your dog. As far as hair dryers and coffee makers being in the rooms, it is something we are looking into it and it has to do with electrical capabilities. The WiFi should be working well in all rooms. Thank you for telling us! I will be sure to have it resolved. We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Booked this hotel online for a trip to Cape cod .
While this hotel promised "comfortable deluxe guest rooms" , what I found on arrival was totally different , and the review and hotel homepage were totally misleading!
This place is just a cheap highway hotel, with prices marked up to a deluxe hotel level.
The hotel was in a state of almost total disrepair, the area appeared rather deserted, and sign board in front of the hotel was not lit up, making it impossible to locate this place without a GPS.
The building was old and at certain areas almost derelect, the swimming pool was right in the middle of the car park, the is no security and the area was poorly lit up, raising some concerns on safety.
There is only one girl on duty at the hotel office after 3 pm, who will double up as housekeeping. When she is away for food, there is nobody to answer the phone.
There is no coffee making facility in the room, no drinking water. Coffee is supposed to be available in hotel office, but I was told the coffee maker had broken down, so, there was absolutely nothing available.
The room were small, appeared unclean, we found some pubic hairs on our bed sheets and blankets, there is no wardrobe, no place to hang clothes in the bathroom, which was also extremely small. There was no place to hang towel in the extremely small washing up area just outside the toilet.
The air conditioner was old and not working well.
Considering the price we paid for this room, this is highly overpriced and totally outrageousness
They even charged $50 into my card account straight away as deposit, which was was totally unacceptable.
Would not recommend this place, stay away and stay elsewhere, It was a total mistake to stay at Eastham, which is just a stretch of highway, and totally isolated, there is no township nearby.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank DRANDY

Hi Drandy,
I am sorry to see you found our inn so unsatisfactory. As you mentioned, we had also noticed the lighting could be a bit better for our sign, the project is being completed now. I do remember personally checking you in and your concerns of an authorization being held on your card for incidentals. We do this procedure with all our guests, it is policy and a standard of ours, sorry for any confusion this may have caused. I hope you were satisfied to see the release of the hold at the end of your stay. Yes, you did find ‘fuzz’ on your linen as you had brought to my attention shortly after you checked in; we changed your room for you. The coffee maker was taking longer than I had hoped and I had offered two to-go cups that the Four Points by Sheraton had waiting for you, free coffee is typically available in the morning at our inn. As I thank you for letting us know areas we can improve, we would appreciate truthful information and feedback.