“Fantastic inn on Cape Cod”

Whalewalk Inn & Spa
Ranked #3 of 11 Eastham B&B and Inns
Connecticut
“Fantastic inn on Cape Cod”
Reviewed August 28, 2007

We stayed at the Whalewalk inn for our 30th wedding anniversary. We have never stayed at an "inn" before and were not quite sure we would like it, but we did! The rooms were fantastic, just like the pictures on the website. The innkeepers had thought of everything, even down to a sound machine that played ocean sounds, that now my husband needs at home to fall asleep.
The check in was easy- our room was even ready early, the grounds were nice with different sitting areas throughout the property. Our room had a private patio off of it, which had a table and chairs for a private cocktail hour. We did not take advantage of the spa or hot tub, but they looked nice and if we had more free time we would have. The breakfast served was great- served at private tables with very friendly servers. The cleaning staff was also very friendly and very good at their jobs, getting in and out of the rooms while we were having breakfast.
I was very picky, searched forever finding a place that was just right and I was so pleased at our choice. We definatly will return there whenever we can. It was worth every penny!

• Liked — the service
  • Disliked — no internet access
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed July 19, 2007

This was our third trip to the Whalewalk Inn. The service is wonderful, just as much or as little as we needed. The owners have been very thoughtful and remember our anniversary every year with a small gift. These are the reasons we come back.

The recently added spa/exercise room is a nice addition but will probably not satisfy those looking for a full spa experience. Being able to relax in a sauna or swim a few lengths in the Endless pool is a great diversion.

Breakfasts at the Inn are creative and tasty. In warmer months, sitting outside on the patio is a treat.

Stayed November 2006
1 Thank kpdiva
new york
Reviewed July 4, 2007

The Inn owners are rude and curt. The "spa" is a whirlpool in a convereted garage. The breakfast wasn't good. The are very unfreindly and unhappy owners who should NOT be running an INN !!!!!

• Liked — leaving the inn
  • Disliked — arriving
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
15 Thank tranquilityoga
Hastings on Hudson, NY
Reviewed February 28, 2007

This was our honeymoon, because we didn't want to go that far away after the ramp up to the wedding. I felt positive that I was picking a romantic room b/c of the picture on their website and all the amenities (gas fireplace, whirlpool tub, spa shower, heated floors and included gourmet breakfasts). Sounds divine doesn't it? What the website fails to note is where "Main Inn, Room 1" is located on the property. It is right on the patio area so that often (or even people inside the house which parially surrounds the patio) you feel observed by people relaxing there when you enter your room. It doesn't feel private, even with the door closed, blinds drawn. Partly b/c you can sometimes hear people chatting outside your room on the patio, but also b/c the kitchen too is adjacent. There is an access door for maid svc. that runs right to the kitchen. We could hear people chatting in the kitchen and we were sure that if we could hear them, they could hear us. They should do something to absorb or better wall off the sound between these areas.
We also disliked that every time we left to go anywhere that when we came back the maid raised and opened all the blinds.
Would've been fine had we been in probably any other room. That meant that since we were in this socializing area we would immediately have to close them (and there were quite a few - I think 8 blinds) in order to undress or have any privacy whatsoever. There was even a window with wooden shutter right in front of the toilet! My husband almost had an embarrassing experience when he realized that the shutter was open!
We felt further observed at breakfast b/c the tables were v. close together, other guests barely talked and our waitress too was exceedingly observant of her voice level. I assure anyone who reads this that it is I who usually feels annoyed at people who are loud and noisy. You get a lot of that near NYC. However, we both would've loved the option of having breakfast in our room instead.
I hate to be so negative about a place that was undeniably beautiful, luxurious and trying to be attentive to every detail, but these problems made it hard to enjoy anything.
Even the discounted massage I received made me uncomfortable. The massage itself was too rough for my taste, but it was the comments about how I looked too young to be married that really made me feel judged. I know it wasn't meant to make me feel bad, but she seemed genuinely shocked that I wasn't nearly as young as I appear. She even commented that her mom, one of the owners remarked on how young I look. It just made me feel like I stood out from the mostly middle-aged clientele even more. It is unsettling to get the impression that you are making your hosts uncomfortable because you aren't part of their peer group. However, I'm sure that wouldn't happen to most people. Still, I know that massage therapists aren't supposed to comment on their clients in any way and this shouldn't be any different.
Lastly, since I've gone this far I would add that the TV was quite small. For all the luxuries I would've really appreciated a large TV, especially because there isn't much to do at night. The Inn is somewhat far away from Dennis & Hyannis where the tourist attractions are.
I will add though I was more exhausted than I had ever been in my life from the wedding and was ill, so all these details were far more overwhelming than they probably would've been for anyone else. Still, the location of this particular room is a problem.

Stayed June 2004
10 Thank BeeJustnorthofNYC
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed September 11, 2006

My husband and I enjoyed a 2 night stay here to celebrate our anniversary/my birthday Sept 3 - 5. We stayed in the Spa Penthouse which is spacious, modern and full of neat little extras. The hosts were gracious, the massages we booked in the spa were wonderful and more than fairly priced, and the breakfasts were delicious. I have not hesitated to recommend this inn to friends and family. it may be a little pricier then some but the quality is well worth it. A really great couples get-away! Peaceful, serene and immaculate!

• Liked — Beautiful, clean and quiet
  • Disliked — A little off the beaten path
  • Tips/Secrets — splurge on the spa penthouse if you can!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JackieBlue
Downriver, Michigan
Reviewed September 10, 2006

The Whalewalk Inn was a beautiful bed and breakfast but not recommended for a one night stay. It is very clean and luxurious minus the very hard king sized bed. The innkeepers were very nice and accommodating and the breakfast was delicious. However for a one night stay it is quite costly if you cannot take advantage of the spa and facilities. My daughter and I arrived later than usual and ended up not using any of the luxuries except the whirlpool tub and the heated floor in the bathroom. It has a spa which would have been nice but no time to use it. I think it was very costly and you are paying for the whirlpool and larger bed. I did not feel like it was a very good location since we wanted to see the seashore more than we did. It was our first visit so it was a learning experience. If you are spending a few days and don't mind a hard bed, it is a beautiful Inn.

• Liked — whirlpool in room
  • Disliked — very hard king size bed and price
  • Stayed September 2006
2 Thank gomezr
New Jersey
Reviewed August 13, 2006

We enjoyed two wonderful days/nights at the Whalewalk Inn at the end of July. The innkeepers, Elaine and Kevin, really make their guests feel welcome. Upon our arrival, Elaine walked us around the property, pointing out where we would find complimentary soft drinks and water, detailing when an evening reception would be held and showing us the spa. They upgraded us to a beautiful suite in the Barn even though July and August are peak season and the inn was at capacity. Breakfast was delicious both mornings. We plan to return at the earliest opportunity.

1 Thank Grateful*traveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastham
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Ship's Knees Inn
Ship's Knees Inn
#3 of 5 in East Orleans

Been to Whalewalk Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!