“Again and again”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Eastham
Quebec City, Canada
“Again and again”
Reviewed October 6, 2010

New owners, new smiles. We stay at this place each time we came to the Cape. We hesitated this year because we had not a good service last year. But when we saw that Captains Quarters has a new owner we decided to come back. And it was a good decision. Smile, good service, return of the free breakfeast, calm, all was perfect. This motel is just near the beaches, 5 minutes to Nauset Light and Coast guard. Maybe 10 to Marconi or First Encounter (to see the sunset). The bicycle trail past just behind. A lot of good restaurants around, few minutes to Weelfleet or Orlean, Central between P-town and Hyannis.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nic064

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Bonaire, Georgia
Reviewed September 20, 2010

I don't know where to begin my review, as there are countless things I could say about this awful motel. Upon entering the room, I was greeted by an awful odor of musk and mildew. The bedding was stained, smelly and I am not sure if it was changed after the previous use. I was at the motel four nights and the sheets were changed only on the last night and after I requested them to be changed. The coffee pot was full of grounds and mold, it was not cleaned daily as it should. The shower leaked and the bathroom tub had HAIR in it from the previous guests. The window was open and the lock was broken. This was a ground room and anyone could come in through the window. The telephone did not work and the connection box had been ripped from the wall and had plaster on it. The exterior of the motel is dirty and outdated. I was with a tour group and this motel was reserved by Diamond Tours for us. Even after being notified of this substandard motel, we were not offered a change in motels.
That said, the staff working the front desk are unprofessional. They are unable to tactfully deal with any issue that might arise within their crumbling establishment. Their response to our repeated inquires about the lack of maid service was to ask if we had put the 'DO NOT DISTURB' sign out.

Stayed September 2010
1 Thank GaAnn
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I have to agree with some of the other reviews here, although our experience wasn't quite as terrible. The outside is in desperate need of some landscaping and basic lawn care. The building could use a paint job. The rooms were OK, I have certainly seen better but I've also seen far worse. It was quiet and I got 2 decent night's sleep, and other guests I met sitting outside their rooms in the morning seemed happy. Everything in the room worked, including the free WIFI - which I had to use extensively. And the room price for the Cape was a bargain compared to the other places I checked. Good location being only 20 miles south of Provincetown.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Sarasota
Reviewed September 11, 2010

We stayed at the CQ because of its proximity to a wedding we attended in Wellfleet. That, along with the friendliness of the front desk staff, and its generally quiet atmosphere, are the only positives about the place. The Captain would turn over in his grave...
My daughter (who of course has no idea about any of this) made the reservation for my husband and me, and which was to include an adjoining room for my mother-in-law, who is 92. That was not the case when we arrived. The best they could do was give us the last room on the left and the first one around the corner. We had a lovely view of the dumpster, which they don't even try to conceal with a fence. There were broken mirrors and an old couch, among other strewn debris for all to see.
Forget about curb appeal. I don't think they own a lawnmower. And weeds are everywhere...
The pool is enclosed in an ugly chain link affair near the road.
Moving on to the rooms: my mother-in-law's door showed evidence of a possible past break-in. It wouldn't shut because the mechanism was broken that allows it to catch. So she had to bolt it to close it. Great. What if she had fallen and we had to get in? And we were so far away it didn't matter.
Though I was mostly concerned with the present bedbug hysteria, I didn't see any. (They must have wisely checked in elsewhere:) The rooms were hardly white glove clean. Who does clean anything, anyway??? Teenagers??? E.g., there was a thick ring of scum, mold and dirt around the base of the bathroom sink, easily removable with Comet and a scrubbie, folks! The Board of Health would have a field day. If you do decide to stay, call the BOH for me.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank muffin54
Foster City
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I hate to have to write this kind of review but hopefully management will get it and fix the problems. I had stayed at the Captains Quarters years ago and it was okay but our most recent experience was miserable.

We have young children and made our reservations months ahead of time specifically for adjoining rooms. I confirmed adjoining rooms multiple times before our arrival, however when we arrived we were told all their adjoining rooms were full. Since there were no other occupany options the day we arrived we had no choice but to take the two non-adjoining rooms.

Both rooms we had were filthy and smelled horrible. There were wrappers on the floor and used q-tips and tissues in the trash. One room reaked of smoke, the other of mold and chemicals. There was a large wet stain on the carpet. The shower curtain was covered with mold.

The furniture while new to the Captains Quarters was recycled from a Hilton Garden Inn (some still bore the H logo). It may look okay in the pictures but the furniture is scratched, beat-up and filthy.

The beds were too soft and worst of all, my sheets were covered in sand (did they even wash the sheets between guests?).

The outside of the building was no better than the inside and looks completely run-down. There was no landscaping to speak of and the grounds were completely unkempt and overgrown with weeds.

We only lasted one day of our four day reservation before we were compelled to check-out and frankly, that was one day too long.

I felt bad for the girl at the front-desk because it seems like she was heading a complaints department vs. a front desk. I didn't see any smiling faces. Management has a lot of work to do to get this place into shape. Until then avoid it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank a1000monkeys
Agawam, mass
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Have stayed at CQ for 20 years through 4 owners, the place is now in shambles. No up keep on grounds, rooms terrible even with new cheap furniture and carpet. Came back after beach, room was cleaned but carpet was a mess. Target has pillows on sale for $5.00, I don't know what my head was lying on? Beds were like titled rocks. Previous owner got out just in time, drive on don't even think about it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Maverek
Wallingford, Connecticut
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I grew up on the Cape and can tell you that this is one of the best deals there. My partner and I recently spent a weekend at the Captain's Quarters and the hosts were very accommodating and the location is exceptional for the beaches, Wellfleet, PTown, etc. While the place isn't the Hilton or Trump's Taj Mahal, it is very Cape Cod and most adequate. Although certainly not fancy, our room was clean, convenient and met our needs. Those who insist on having every amenity in their motel and the most modern decor would do better going to NYC or Boston (and paying much higher prices). Overall, a wonderful discovery for us and we will most certainly return.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastham
Ocean Park Inn Cape Cod
Even’tide Resort Motel and Cottages
Wellfleet Motel
Wellfleet Motel
#2 of 4 in Wellfleet

Been to Captains Quarters Motel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!