“Bad beyond belief.”

Captains Quarters Motel and Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Eastham
Reviewed September 11, 2010

We stayed at the CQ because of its proximity to a wedding we attended in Wellfleet. That, along with the friendliness of the front desk staff, and its generally quiet atmosphere, are the only positives about the place. The Captain would turn over in his grave...
My daughter (who of course has no idea about any of this) made the reservation for my husband and me, and which was to include an adjoining room for my mother-in-law, who is 92. That was not the case when we arrived. The best they could do was give us the last room on the left and the first one around the corner. We had a lovely view of the dumpster, which they don't even try to conceal with a fence. There were broken mirrors and an old couch, among other strewn debris for all to see.
Forget about curb appeal. I don't think they own a lawnmower. And weeds are everywhere...
The pool is enclosed in an ugly chain link affair near the road.
Moving on to the rooms: my mother-in-law's door showed evidence of a possible past break-in. It wouldn't shut because the mechanism was broken that allows it to catch. So she had to bolt it to close it. Great. What if she had fallen and we had to get in? And we were so far away it didn't matter.
Though I was mostly concerned with the present bedbug hysteria, I didn't see any. (They must have wisely checked in elsewhere:) The rooms were hardly white glove clean. Who does clean anything, anyway??? Teenagers??? E.g., there was a thick ring of scum, mold and dirt around the base of the bathroom sink, easily removable with Comet and a scrubbie, folks! The Board of Health would have a field day. If you do decide to stay, call the BOH for me.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank muffin54

Reviewed August 30, 2010

I hate to have to write this kind of review but hopefully management will get it and fix the problems. I had stayed at the Captains Quarters years ago and it was okay but our most recent experience was miserable.

We have young children and made our reservations months ahead of time specifically for adjoining rooms. I confirmed adjoining rooms multiple times before our arrival, however when we arrived we were told all their adjoining rooms were full. Since there were no other occupany options the day we arrived we had no choice but to take the two non-adjoining rooms.

Both rooms we had were filthy and smelled horrible. There were wrappers on the floor and used q-tips and tissues in the trash. One room reaked of smoke, the other of mold and chemicals. There was a large wet stain on the carpet. The shower curtain was covered with mold.

The furniture while new to the Captains Quarters was recycled from a Hilton Garden Inn (some still bore the H logo). It may look okay in the pictures but the furniture is scratched, beat-up and filthy.

The beds were too soft and worst of all, my sheets were covered in sand (did they even wash the sheets between guests?).

The outside of the building was no better than the inside and looks completely run-down. There was no landscaping to speak of and the grounds were completely unkempt and overgrown with weeds.

We only lasted one day of our four day reservation before we were compelled to check-out and frankly, that was one day too long.

I felt bad for the girl at the front-desk because it seems like she was heading a complaints department vs. a front desk. I didn't see any smiling faces. Management has a lot of work to do to get this place into shape. Until then avoid it.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank a1000monkeys
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Have stayed at CQ for 20 years through 4 owners, the place is now in shambles. No up keep on grounds, rooms terrible even with new cheap furniture and carpet. Came back after beach, room was cleaned but carpet was a mess. Target has pillows on sale for $5.00, I don't know what my head was lying on? Beds were like titled rocks. Previous owner got out just in time, drive on don't even think about it.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maverek
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I grew up on the Cape and can tell you that this is one of the best deals there. My partner and I recently spent a weekend at the Captain's Quarters and the hosts were very accommodating and the location is exceptional for the beaches, Wellfleet, PTown, etc. While the place isn't the Hilton or Trump's Taj Mahal, it is very Cape Cod and most adequate. Although certainly not fancy, our room was clean, convenient and met our needs. Those who insist on having every amenity in their motel and the most modern decor would do better going to NYC or Boston (and paying much higher prices). Overall, a wonderful discovery for us and we will most certainly return.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2010

The room was clean and recently remodeled, particularly including the bathroom had a nice fiberglass one piece bathtub/shower enclosure. Good water pressure and a decent showerhead.

The continental breakfast was only OK: plain bagels, small grocery store muffins, cereal, juice or coffee. One of those Belgian waffle makers would have brought it completely up to snuff.

The beds weren’t anything fancy, but I slept well. The sheets were of standard hotel quality and nicely laundered.

The TV was a tube type, but worked fine. There was a small refrigerator in the TV cabinet and it also worked well.

They allow pets with reasonable rules and a $15.00 per day fee. Our dog was well behaved and we had no hassles. Ours was a designated pets OK room, but was not any the worse for it.

The staff was friendly and competent. I understand that they are recently under new management.

The WIFI in our room was a little weak for my phone, but my friend’s iPod Touch was fine with it. WIFI was good in the breakfast room and there was a computer for guests to use there.

In short, a nice quiet room at a fair price with no problems. . I don't understand the negative reviews on this place.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2010

My wife and I were pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness of the Motel. Our room was very large with updated furniture and carpeting. Although the Motel was filled to capacity we heard absulutley no noise at all. The walking trail is easily accessible and a great asset to the Captains Quarters. The cleaning staff cleaned our room each day, made the bed and left fresh soap and shampoo. I'd give the Motel an A+

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We had a room for 5 nights at the Captain's Quarters and found it to be quite pleasant. They had rooms available for my dog, which was an absolute necessity. I don't know why there are so many complainers here. The owners/staff were very friendly and helpful with everything. Cleanliness was NOT a problem at all, nor was noise. Great value.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastham
Ocean Park Inn Cape Cod
Viking Shores Motor Inn
Southfleet Motor Inn
Southfleet Motor Inn
#3 of 4 in Wellfleet

Been to Captains Quarters Motel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!