“Like nothing you've ever tasted before”
Review of Karoo Restaurant

Karoo Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 28 Restaurants in Eastham
Cuisines: African
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Romantic, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Karoo Restaurant is inspired by the diversity of British, Dutch, African, Malaysian, Portuguese and Indian flavors that make up the delicious dishes of Chef Sanette Groenewald's South African homeland. Our eclectic menu ranges from VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, and Gluten free options to homemade burgers, fish & chips, native stews and exotic meats. We carry a wide assortment South African wines and unusual imported beers from all over the world. As always our entire menu is available for dine-in or take-out.
“Like nothing you've ever tasted before”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I travel globally and have had the good fortune to sample food from many exotic places. The spices that are used here are very unique, like nothing I've ever tasted before. We were a group of five adults and four children and ordered a number of appetizers to share. Peri-Peri chicken wings, "Monkey" ribs, beef and chicken samosas, and homemade hummus.

For our entrees we ordered Bobotie (meatloaf) Pap and Chakalaka, the shaved beef special, and the Cape malay (Tofu) stew. All of the dishes had delightfully different spices and flavors.

Our server was really friendly and attentive and the service was fast.

I definitely recommend this as a "must try".

It's often busy so make reservations if possible.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank khoward67

Massachusetts
“Nicely spiced”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We had always had good meals at Karoo in Ptown and really missed it now that it's closed so we made sure to visit the restaurant in Eastham. I rarely eat red meat but had to try the special - maybe the best burger I've ever had, spiced with coriander, vinegar and wish I could remember what else, and topped with curry cole slaw. My daughter and I also shared the Vegetarian plate which included hummus, grape leaves, falafel, tabouleh, and a "power salad" - also very good. My husband had the bunny chow (no bunnies in it) which is very tasty, but a little hot for me.
We only get to eat there one week of the year when we visit the cape, but the owner welcomes us like old friends! No place around like it.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Don't send back the traditional Malva dessert”
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

I was enjoying my veggie assortment of appetizers, followed by a spiced lamb stew...had a guava cocktail and my friend had the coffee liqueur cocktail. The waitress forgot the sweet potato fries, so to compensate she said she would throw in a free order of samosas. Fine, but after I left I noticed she kept it on the bill and charged us anyway. In addition to charging $8 for a $5.75 dessert!

Like I said the meal was going well until we ordered dessert...The Malva Pudding $5.75
"A rich traditional South African dessert, caramel cake soaked in a caramel sauce and cooked into a toffee-like pudding". The waitress raved about this dessert and said it was the best! I had said to the waitress I would like to try it, but I'm afraid I won't like it. She replied "No problem, if you don't like it we will bring you something else." Well as I guessed, I didn't like it, it was way too sweet and soaked through with sugary sweet liquid, a crystalized, freezer burn topping of vanilla ice cream and some whipped cream on the side. So when we sent it back, we got a very hostile, stern faced woman with piercing eyes approach our table with distain, "I hear you have a problem with the dessert? What's wrong with it? " she was angry, mean and hostile and highly offended we didn't like the dessert. I felt chastised and denigrated by her rough manner. Frankly she was very rude, and earlier I had seen her charming other tables with stories of her travels. My friend and I left with a bad taste in our mouths, not only from the Malva but from the poor treatment and lack of customer service...never to return again. Noticing our bill was overcharged didn't help either. I can't say I recommend this one.

2 Thank Travelonbike
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AMAZING AND NOT ANOTHER SEAFOOD PLACE”
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Loved everything about it! It is a unique place with a diverse menu and great atmosphere. The entire decor was handmade and put together with love and thought. I know this because the owner came by the table to tell us about her wonderful restaurant.

1 Thank Ashley N
Lyme, Connecticut
“Not Your Usual Cape Menu....and that's a very good thing!!”
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have been to Karoo's about 6 times in the past month.....that's saying something right there. We usually eat-in because, except for breakfast (the Fairway in Eastham or Wicked oyster in Wellfleet) and an occasional pizza (red Barn in Eastham ) we have not found food worthy of eating until now.

We have had the Pakoras, samosas, cape Malay stew (I always order this because it's so good I can't help myself...) and my hub has tried peri peri chicken and chakalaka. Peri peri was good, chakalaka (chick pea stew was really good) .... And he has had other dishes too but the Cape Malay has now won him over too. What we did last time was to split the Power Salad (which is a hi protein vegetarian salad - incredibly good) with the vegetarian Cape Malay stew and we were both very happy!
Dessert -/ do try their Malva? Dessert - it's outstanding. We will go back to Karoo's again and again!! Love it.