“what happened?”

Arnold's Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in Eastham
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: "Best fried clams in the world"-Food & Wine Magazine. Arnold's seafood is so fresh, any fisherman would approve. Native lobster, local raw bar, cocktails, fried and baked seafood, lobster rolls, salads, an extensive children's menu, gourmet ice cream, and mini golf. Arnold's owner is Nathan "Nick" Nickerson, a true Cape Cod native and Mayflower descendant. Nick grew up surrounded by the sea and worked on farms and with family in Cape Cod restaurants. Almost 40 ago he founded what has become the world-famous Arnold's Lobster & Clam Bar. From the start, crowds were drawn to the fresh, native seafood, generous portions, friendly service and fun Cape Cod atmosphere found at Arnold's. Pets are allowed in our outdoor area in the back.
Connecticut
“what happened?”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

been coming here since they opened (over 30 years) and last week had the first oops with this place... they served our party lobsters that had hole in the shells..not very appetizing looking ...like they had some sort of disease....they were not barnacles but black holes bored right through their shells which indicates some sort of parasite activity...sorry Arnold you don't get my vote this year...you don't serve customers this kind of product....you have the money to serve your well deserving customers fresh healthy lobsters..you don't buy the cheapest bottom of the barrel lobster and sell it to the public at market price....come on and get back on the ball

1 Thank KyLaConnecticut
Nathan N, Owner at Arnold's Restaurant, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
KyLa, I apologize for dropping the ball on this one. One of my steam cooks plated a very ugly lobster which he should never have done so Arnolds deserves the review you gave it. I buy ALL my lobsters from local lobstermen in runs. That means I buy everything they bring in without first having it separated. My team does the separating when they arrive here putting them in different tanks depending on what they are used for. Only the Very Best hard shelled lobsters get plated for our customers except of course the one you received. That one should have been put in the tank we use for the lobsters we cook for meat. There was absolutely nothing wrong with your lobster as far as the quality of meat but I agree it should never have been given to a customer. Believe me I am more upset about that than you are. My goal here at Arnolds is to exceed the customers expectations not disappoint them. I'm sorry you did not say something at the time so I could give you a much larger lobster for the inconvenience we caused you and your family. I have spoken to my two steam cooks and I doubt very seriously that will ever happen again.
With my apologies,
Nathan Nickerson

Farmington, Connecticut
“Sundown at Arnold's”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

If you pass by Arnold's thinking it is just another Cape fried seafood joint, you are missing a memorable experience. You wait in line to order, get a buzzer and then take your tray to the table. While the line may be long during the dinner hour, it is worth the wait. We take friends there often because on a lovely evening, there is nothing better than fresh shrimp from the raw bar, a draft beer and an overstuffed lobster roll with very fresh lobster and very little mayo. If you are so inclined, try the onion rings. Very thin onions with batter that does not suffocate them. Arnold's (named, we are told, after the eatery in the tv series "Happy Days") is cash only, but does have an ATM on premises. Miniature golf and ice cream are also available. Who could ask for anything more!

Galway, Ireland
“Great food, long wait”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Let's get this right out of the way - Arnold's is not cheap... however, nothing else on the Cape is, either, and while many places are cheap and not terribly good, Arnold's serves excellent food. I've been here several times before, and I generally order clam strips since they're cheaper than getting the whole bellies. Clams have become pretty pricey, but the portion size here is very generous, and the clam strips are delicious; they aren't drowned in grease, nor are they completely hidden under the batter. I also get the chowder quite frequently, and while I prefer a heavier chowder, Arnold's is pretty good, and it isn't the junky sort where its all potato lumps with maybe a few tiny bits of clam. Thumbs up, too, to the onion rings, which are also served in generous portions.

I will note, though, that if you get there in the dead middle of the dinner hour, you will wait a very long time to order, so try to either go a little early or a little late. There is a separate window outside for ice cream that can get pretty backed up depending on time as well (the ice cream is solid, by the way, although I've only had it a couple of times).

Alexandria, Virginia
“A Lobster Lover's Must”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Great spot! They have it down to a science. Don't let the line scare you away. The Lobster is so yummy as is the chowder! We sat outside under an umbrella and just enjoyed it so much.

Visited July 2013
Montreal, Canada
“amazing fresh, hearty seafood”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We actually wen there twice in the same day! For a late lunch, there was no wait. We had the best lobster rolls I've had. They were so stuffed, that I had to use my fork for the first few pieces of lobster. There was also minimal mayonnaise, which I see as very positive. For supper, we had to wait in line for about 45 minutes, even at almost 8 p.m., but it was well worth it. I would say that the Maryland crab cakes were possibly the best I've had. Also stuffed with big chunks of REAL crab. (In most restaurants there's a lot of filler, such as breadcrumbs...not here.) We decided to live it up and got some fresh oysters, too. They were very big & very tasty....YUM! A great experience, but somewhat expensive (but worth it). Don,t forget to bring cash with you; they don't take credit cards.