“Food was fair, but waiter was a disaster”
Review of Lobster Shanty

Lobster Shanty
Ranked #18 of 28 Restaurants in Eastham
Cuisines: Seafood
Toronto
“Food was fair, but waiter was a disaster”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Two lobsters for $19.99 in late August. That's what got me in. Mind you it was a softer shell type, but was tasty nevertheless. The clam chowder and fried clam strips was good too. No complaints on the food or the great price.

But the waiter was a complete joke. He tried to memorize our order for a family of four and goofed up. After delivering our food with some missed items, he was nowhere to be seen. He acknowledged we wanted some extra cutlery and paper plates when he departed, but forgot to deliver them. His colleagues had to cover for him by delivering the missed foods. When they got the clam chowder size wrong (we ordered a bowl, but was delivered a cup), the colleague said they would give us a free cup on house. We ended up paying for that too because our waiter never wrote anything down. Ketchup, any service came from the colleagues waiting the neighboring tables because ours was never to be seen.

Who is this waiter? He's some mixed Asian dude in his twenties who grew up in Dennisport. How do I know? Because when he brought me the check (one of his colleagues had to tell him to come to our table to bring us the check), he didn't hand it to me, but instead stood about 6 foot away and held it in his hands for 10 minutes while he told his life story to his friends. I guess talking to his friends was more important than giving me the check. Apparently, he has worked at the Lobster Shanty for several years as I listened in. Amazing that the restaurant manager would keep such a useless waiter for so long. I would have fired him a long time ago.

Montreal, Canada
“They think tourists had never ate lobsters before”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

They sold us soft shell lobsters at full price, and tried to convince us 1 pd 1/2 were always like this (empty and soft)... The fisherman plate or whatever the name of the plate was soaked in butter. Nothing else to taste. No fish plates for kids... Beside the traditional fish and chips... After three days of chicken fingers, fish and chips and grilled cheese, they were not hungry anymore.

Massachusetts
“My bad...didn't check Tripadvisor first!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Tripadvisor exists to help prevent us from making a mistake. How silly do I feel that we actually went to this dump. We 'assumed' that since it was on a main drag nearby to popular beaches that it MUST be good...how else would it stay in business? Well, I feel like I had all the information availabe to me which would have prevented this mistake but I failed to make use of it.
First - the waitstaff has no personality. However, I give them credit for actually bringing a takeout order outside to us at the picnic tables rather than waiting for us to go inside and get it (that was the ONLY positive thing about the visit).
Second - restrooms - when they are dirty, this should be a red flag that the rest of the establishment is equally unclean.
Third - my kids were given sand pails with their meals - they had a 'Lobster Shanty' sticker on them (free advertisement?) ...I peeled off those stickers ... no way I am going to admit I actually went here or give them free advertisement.
Fourth - the food was gross ...can't say much more than that.

AVOID this place - all negative reviews are accurate...as for the positive reviews...perhaps their expectations are much lower. Go a few miles to Orleans to Cookes for something more decent at a very CLEAN restaurant.

Avon, CT
“Do Not be fooled”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This place looks appealing as you pass it on he road...but the service was horrible and the person taking the order had to have everything repeated at least three times...so ordering for a family o f four( take out).. Was painful. The food was fair.

Visited August 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible, Terrible, NO GOOD Place!!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We thought we would give this restaurant the "benefit of the doubt" after reading previous reviews on Trip Advisor. The restaurant looked like a cool, fun little "beachy" place. There were three of us eating and once we ordered it took about 30 minutes to get our food. I ordered the cheeseburger and fries. The fries were cold (not lukewarm but COLD).

My daughters ordered the fried seafood platter. My youngest daughter cut into the fried fish and it was raw!! After finally getting our waitress back to our table (we had to ask a bus boy to get her because she NEVER came around), we showed her the fish and asked if we could get some new fish fried correctly. She agreed...when she brought the new fish to the table, it was RAW also!! It was like they had the fryer set way too high, it was cooking the outside but leaving the inside raw. And not only was the fish raw, but there was also a "fried claw" in the fish!!!!

We showed the waitress the 2nd serving of raw fish and the claw. She said she would get it taken care of. Her idea of taking care of it was a $3.00 discount on the $25.00 plate!!! Most waitresses would have sent a manager to the table but instead we were told that if anyone asked about our $3.00 discount to tell them that we brought in a coupon!!

I recommend to AVOID this place at all costs...Chatham is not that far of a drive and has some VERY GOOD restaurants!!!

Visited August 2013