“Fantastic Vintage 60s Motel”
Review of Town Crier Motel

Town Crier Motel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Eastham
Reviewed June 15, 2014

What a trip back to a simpler time! This motel has all the uncrowded,easy feel of the 60s , along with the more modern room amenities like cable TV and wi-fi. The breakfast buffet was all home-made, bountiful and delicious -- just like grandma's cooking when I was young. The rooms spotless, comfortable and mine even had birds singing in the tree outside the window. The pool was pristine and nicely warm. The best part was we had it all to ourselves when we went swimming. Plus, you can't beat the hospitality. The owners and employees were so helpful and kind that I already feel like family. It was such a great experience that I am going back again to see them in a few months. Plus, you can't beat the low price or the convenience of the location. I recommend them without reservation!

Room Tip: Rooms 1-14 have the softer beds, while the other rooms have firm ones, so make certain you request a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rauee Lin K

Reviewed June 13, 2014

My boyfriend and our couple-friends each bought this LivingSocial deal for a nice weekend on the Cape, unfortunately this motel was a huge disappointment. Let me break up this review by what was promised via the LivingSocial deal:

What was promised:

"In the morning, start your day at the motel's casual poolside restaurant, serving made-to-order eggs, hash browns, pancakes, fresh fruit, and more. Accommodations are decorated in classic Cape décor, equipped with private entrances, and appointed with two double beds, a flat-screen TV, a desk with a chair, and a microwave and refrigerator."

What we experienced:

We were not allowed "made to order eggs" unless we wanted to pay an additional $4. The man who was supervising the buffet let us know that we could have some of the mushroom omelette that he had already prepared (and was cut in half because apparently the person before us only wanted half an omelette), but that if we wanted any other type of egg (even your standard scrambled) it would be extra. In addition, as LivingSocial patrons, we were only allowed to go to the buffet one time, and we were not welcome to all that was displayed at the buffet; we were offered the aforementioned cut-up mushroom omelette, bacon (only 2 slices), mini-pancakes (only 2), and a bit of potatoes/an attempt at home fries. My friend has Celiac Disease and explained to the woman who owns the motel that she cannot eat gluten, and asked if instead of getting pancakes she could have some eggs (otherwise all she could eat was bacon & potatoes); in response, the owner told her: no, made-to-order eggs are not included in the deal and to eat some pancakes. The woman who runs this motel clearly had no idea what gluten or Celiac Disease is, which is a telling sign as to how outdated this motel is (as a side note: as a general rule, if you're going to manage a restaurant you should be sensitive, aware, and accommodating to food allergies).

By "Classic Cape Decor" the motel must have meant "1980's decor" as the rooms were incredibly outdated and the TV's were certainly not flat-screened as promised, they were in fact box TVs (which is fine, just don't lie in your advertisements).

The beds were also very hard & springy, reminiscent of dormitory bedding.

One last point about the rooming situation: my friends had the room next to us (which was great!) however, whenever they turned the shower on, it sounded like a torrential rain storm was passing through our hotel room (the same thing happened to them when we turned on our shower).

On a different note: as part of the LivingSocial deal, we were promised coupons to help us have a great time in the local area, these coupons included:

1) Lobster Dinner for Two at Arnold's Lobster & Clam Bar
2) Full-Day Bicycle Rentals for Two
3) Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream for Two

There were no lobster dinner coupons in my room, and the Ben & Jerry coupon was for a "Kiddie Size" (equivalent of a Kid Size, or Extra Small)... even though the LivingSocial was clearly for two adults.

All in all, it was a pretty disappointing experience compared to other stays I have had on the Cape, and other escapes I have used from LivingSocial. I think the main issue with this experience was that as a LivingSocial customer, the motel owner had the mindset that we were a 2nd class customer and did not deserve the same amenities as other customers. As a someone in the marketing field with experience with these types of group-deal websites, this is not the intent nor spirit of LivingSocial; perhaps the motel owner should better understand her marketing efforts.

Room Tip: Rooms #35 & #36 view is a trailer park, if you'd like a nice view, ask not to have these roo...
16  Thank Olivia P
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed here over ther past weekend for my birthday and found it a great place to stay on the Cape! The rooms were spotless, the pool area was also spotless and well maintained. The grounds were beautiful. We had breakfast there our first morning there and found it to be an excellent deal. The staff was very friendly. The innkeeper, Judy, was friendly to us and we found her a delight to deal with. It felt like we were staying at our grandmothers house! We would recommend it highly and want to bring our kids and grandkids here. There is alot to do nearby!

Room Tip: I believe they are very similar. Ours was two double beds, a flat screen tv, mini fridge, and clean...
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I just spent two days/nights at the Town Crier Motel in Eastham and had a lovely time. The hotel was very neat and attractive. We received a complementary cookie at check-in which I think is a wonderful idea. The check in clerk was very friendly and helpful, giving us ideas on where to visit, and eat while staying in Cape Cod. The breakfasts were perfect; nice variety of food, the coffee was excellent! and the resturant staff was wonderful. This was my first trip to Cape Cod and the hotel was in the perfect location. thank you!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Looking for a place to get breakfast while staying at a friend's house in Eastham we noticed the "Breakfast Buffet" sign and decided that was for us. $9.00 per person. The greeting was nice with the sincere hope that we would enjoy.

Our meal was served up to us by a very nice young man who was concerned that we enjoy our meal. I had french toast and pancakes. My beverage choice was a hot cup of tea. The water wasn't very hot but I didn't mind because I have found that to be the case in much pricier places than this. The food was just right for me. The atmosphere was friendly and "cape" informal. I didn't eat anywhere near $9.00 worth but left happy that I had been there.

We didn't use the motel so I can't comment on that. You might want to give the buffet a try.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

I recently stayed at The Town Crier Motel in Eastham, MA - Cape Cod and had a wonderful experience! The hotel has all the amenities one looks for to make your time away from home feel like home. The rooms are nicely furnished with everything you need, the pool and poolside restaurant is great, and the property itself is quiet and large enough to spread out and enjoy sitting out on the lawn furniture on the expansive grassy areas. It is right on the Cape Cod Bike Trail, minutes to the Cape Cod National Seashore's Salt Pond Visitor Center, Wellfleet Audubon, shops, and wonderful restaurants. I am a repeat customer and will continue to be a repeat customer. The owners are very helpful in suggesting "Things To Do" and have always done their best to accommodate any requests. This property "feels like home."

Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

We got this deal on Groupon and the description of the motel seemed great but once we got there it was not what we expected. No one was there to greet us when we arrived. The "flat screen tv" is actually an old school tv. The mini fridge barely works, the air conditioner did not work at all! The shower barely had any water come out and screamed when you turned it on. The "maid service" is actually $5 a day not even free. The "free" breakfast is actually for one serving only of the breakfast buffet and everything that they show is not even included it is $4 extra per item. When I told the manager of the hotel I have a food allergy she said "I'm sorry do you want pancakes?" Completely unprofessional and not worth the aggravation. Thank God we didn't have to spend much time at the motel over our trip. BEWARE!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Christina C
TownCrier8, Owner at Town Crier Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your recent stay with us which was a Living Social Package and not through Groupon. We appreciate your comments and have made certain that the everything is in working order in the rooms you occupied. However, we do apologize for not greeting you upon your arrival. Our office closes at 7:00 p.m.; therefore, at your request we opened the rooms for your late arrival at around 11:00 p.m. The Living Social Package is an extremely economical way for folks to come for a weekend at the Cape and it includes wine, lobster dinners, breakfast, bike rentals, and probably, best of all Ben and Jerry's ice cream for two people. In order to make the package as economical as possible, we do not include maid service, unless requested. The package breakfast includes a full breakfast buffet -- coffee, juice, fresh fruit, three breakfast meats, three kinds of potatoes, eggs, pancakes, french toast, homemade muffins and pastries. I really did not know what else to offer you to accommodate your food allergy. As you can see from some of the other reviews and from the Living Social Website, these packages have been very well received. I wish you had given us the opportunity to address all the issues you refer to as soon as they arose so that we could have made your experience a happier one.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastham
Four Points by Sheraton Eastham Cape Cod
#5 of 9 in Eastham
Cove Motel
Cove Motel
#2 of 8 in Orleans

Been to Town Crier Motel? Share your experiences!