“Pretty Good Overall But Not the Same as Previous Visit”
Review of Bee-Hive Tavern - CLOSED

Bee-Hive Tavern
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had been to the Bee Hive Tavern several years ago and absolutely loved the fun décor, great food and service so I recently went back with my husband on what was a rare "free" Saturday for us. This was over an hour's drive for us so we planned on taking our time while eating, which was no trouble at all because the waitress was admittedly new and ended up not putting in our order right away because some other staff member had distracted her with other duties. Thankfully our clam chowder came out first and quickly or we would have been rather upset about this due to the long drive. The white chowder was very good with nice big pieces of clams. One issue I had was that I ordered the special house secret fruit juice blend, forgetting that grapefruit juice could potentially interact with one of my medications, and the waitress was unable to tell me whether or not the juice had grapefruit juice in it at all - basically because she wasn't allowed to know the ingredients and made it clear that the restaurant wouldn't let ANYONE know. I let my husband drink it instead of letting it go to waste. My husband had the fried clams with sweet potato fries and thought the clams were pretty good but the sweet potato fries (which cost extra and were supposed to come with a special dipping sauce that we ended up having to request) were overcooked and sliced too thinly. I had the lobster pie with veggies and French fries and couldn't have been happier. The "lobster pie" was literally just big beautiful chunks of lobster swimming in butter with a few breadcrumbs baked on top and it was magnificent. The veggies were good, not overcooked/mushy. The fries I could have made a meal of all by themselves, they were SO good! For dessert my husband ordered the cherry crisp and was unimpressed and I ordered the Schneeball (vanilla ice cream coated in a layer of sweetened coconut and drizzled with raspberry sauce) and was just as in love with it this time as I was the first time I had it several years ago. The décor was definitely "pub" style and not as much "bee" theme as I remember from my prior visit but comfortable and well lit during a Saturday afternoon. Overall I feel like this is a pretty good restaurant that could likely use better customer service but the food makes up for it if you order the right dishes.

There are newer reviews for Bee-Hive Tavern

Reviewed July 7, 2013

This use to be one of our favorites until this spring. The waitress accidentally split a tall glass of ice water all over the table, which made us jump up and get a new location immediately.She personally made a slight apology, but this really dampened our spirit for lunch and as far as the Bee Hively restaurant making us feel a little more comfortable, the whole thing went totally ignored. The chowder was OK and frankly we don't remember much else. Last year I would have said their gingerbread was "to die for"..but this year, I'm not so sure, I'd chance it!

1  Thank picklesnap
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I live a 1/4 mile from here. I will never eat there again unti new owners. Cranky staff. Dingy appearance. Terrible food.

1  Thank mfiles1
Reviewed June 30, 2013

As stated in some other reviews, this was a nice restaurant but NOT NOW. Way overpriced, food was terrible from the stale microwaved rolls at the start, through the completely tasteless, bland entrees. How do you make a $29 baked stuffed lobster with scallops tough and tasteless? Use the Bee-Hive's secret recipe, I guess. Vegetable "medley" was cold and chewy, baked potato was cold and tasted steamed ( microwave again.) Waitress was nice enough, but "assistants" we're a pain, constantly trying to take away plates before we were finished with them. Not their fault at 15 years of age, just poor training. Stay away, wait for this business to fold and this nice location will be taken over by someone who knows how to run a restaurant and cares to do it well.

1  Thank Tecova
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I ate at Bee Hive when returning from Barnstable beach. The staff were very eager to help.

I had a Grilled Atlantic Salmon with Sweet Chili, Hoisin Glaze which was fresh and very delicious.

One of my friends was a pure vegetarian which is a problem a most places. The chef came right on our table and asked about what ingredients he could eat(or not eat). Chef seemed to know about Indian vegetarians' preferences and fixed a meal specially for him that was not even on the menu.

Overall a very good experience and I would like to visit it again if I am in the area.