“Excellent camping location”
Review of Camp Overflow

Camp Overflow
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Otis
Camp Overflow
Western Massachusetts
“Excellent camping location”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

A wonderful location on the lake. The campground is heavily seasonal campers, but it did have a couple of nice spots up by the field that were still under tree cover and had water and electric (no sewer though). We took our popup and had a spot in the tree line next to the field. I also took a drive down one of the paths into the woods that was for tents and those looked nice as well. Very private. But avoid the field if you don't have shade or AC - LOTS of sun exposure and I can't imagine how hot our camper would have been if we were out there since the temperatures were in the high 80s at the time.

Check-in
Very simple. I was bringing my boat, and they allowed me to bring my boat down the night before and leave it in the parking lot. They don't take credit cards, which was a minor inconvenience, but they had a cash machine in the store and they did take checks.

Store
Had the basics for everything we needed. Nothing extravagant, but had things like hoses and electrical cables if you needed to buy additional, basic non-perishable food items associated with camping, bug screen, beach/camping toys for children, soda, ice cream, etc. They didn't have alcohol, but there are a handful of general stores in town just down the road that carried beer/wine/spirits. They also allowed me to put money down and run "a tab" which was very convenient. It allowed the kids to go down for ice cream or candy and not have to carry money. People were very nice there as well.

Marina/Beach
A nice little setup they had there. The docks were for seasonals only, but we had a mooring which was just off the docks. They offered rides out in one of their skiffs while they were open, but I found it easier to just jump off the dock and swim to the mooring and come back for the family (it was hot anyway). Marina had gas (and I believe DID take credit cards). The lake is great boating, but does get VERY busy on weekends. They also had a beach which was nice and had a pseudo-sandy bottom. And one of their docks had a slide on it into the water that my kids had a blast on.

Sites
The sites were on the small side. The majority had dirt foundations. We were lucky to get one of the ones with pea-stone bedding which helped with the dirt control tremendously. The seasonal campers had much larger lots, as they probably should. But we fit our camper (28 foot when fully extended), chairs around the firepit, and a popup tent over the picnic table with a little room to spare still. A lot of "bigger rigs" were in the field along the tree line which seemed to work for them. But of course - they all had AC, which we didn't. One other thing to mention is that the location of the power outlets and water outlets was sometimes in weird positions, and you may want to be prepared with longer hose/extension chord just in case. We didn’t need extensions though. I enjoyed our site though and would definitely do it again.

Grounds
Fun to drive through the park on a weekend night and see all of the seasonal campers decked out to the nines. And then on weekdays it gets very quiet again. A handful of kids to be seen, but not too many. There was a playground for the kids, but it was a little rundown and my kids (ages 8 & 10) didn't really care to play there. No activities that I was aware of, so the kids had to find their own entertainment. Bathrooms were cleaned daily and were adequate. Had pay showers which I CANNOT STAND, but dealt with it nonetheless. 25 cents for 3 minutes, and the water was warm, so I was content. Garbage bins placed throughout that are hid from view in sheds.

Overall
Great place. Wish they had a little more in terms of activities for the kids, but the lake definitely makes up for it. We’ll be returning again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank MassIS300

#1 of 8 in Stockbridge
The Old Inn on the Green
The Old Inn on the Green
#1 of 2 in New Marlborough

Been to Camp Overflow? Share your experiences!