“Never ever again”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Soups
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Recently decided to try Denardos with some friends because we wanted to try something different (and because Peppas was closed), and discovered that it was a major disappointment. The staff was rude and impatient from the get-go. After asking to have my salad come before my meal, I was told it would come out. However, the things to come next were only some of our meals, which did not include the salad. When the salad arrived it was soaking wet and certainly not worth the wait (or money). One of meals came out 10 minutes after all of the others.
Overall, it was a terrible experience and the food was mediocre. If you are really craving margarita pizza, you are better off ordering regular cheese and saving the money. One final note, be sure to ask how much salad dressing is. Certain salad dressings are an additional .50 cents to an already overpriced salad that consists of pre packaged iceberg lettuce.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

The pizza was good and larger than most pizza places. Just wish they would get rid of those canned green peppers...they really taste weird! Most places today use fresh peppers, broccoli, tomatoes etc. Grinders are good too.
The place is clean and nice, but the lighting is very bright. Kind of diminishes the atmosphere and makes it more like a cafeteria.

1  Thank Cristina6519
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Sure, the staff/owner can be a bit cold (if you knew 4 years back her only son, a senior, took his life, you'd understand her), and some of the big pasta/grinder meals can be a bit bland, but if you look past that and choose different things from the menu, you won't be disappointed. I ordered a rice gumbo - it was delish. They also have good poppers and great onion rings. The day we were there the owner was serving us and she was nice. No rudeness or neglecting. My gumbo came in freshly hot and steamy so I was waiting for it to cool down. She came by asking with a concerned face if it was too spicy for me to eat. It was a hearty flavorful portion. We didn't get a meal, as we weren't that hungry, so we went right to the desert - no problem. I think my bf ordered some chocolate cake, which wasn't bad. I ordered their ice cream of the day (all the deserts were written on the board by the entrance, which we didn't pay attention to when we entered, but the owner was very kind to recite all the things TWICE for me as there was a LOT to choose from). I liked the ice cream very much, especially the strawberry/pistachio "parts" which had bits of the fruit and nuts in it.
All in all, it is a nice experience when you know the menu and know what you can expect.
Oh, and they do take-out. Their salads are pretty good, but like I said, I stray away from the grinders and big pasta meals - tend to be unnecessary huge and a bit on a bland side. Other than that, we like to wander in there from time to time.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

and the food was very mediocre. Felt everything was deep fried and questioned its freshness [i.i. possibly frozen breaded chicken--cant be positive though]. Went with a large group of guys who are used to fine dining but felt like giving this place a try. To a person we felt food was mediocre and the service poor---servers were more interested in congregating in the kitchen entrance and talking to each other than making sure we had bread, water, etc. We finally figured out why---the restaurant has a mandatory 18% tip for large parties---so why work when you know you are making a healthy tip already? People in my group were incensed---so I think they lost the support of about ten local families.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

I too have found rudeness at the counter when picking up take-out. As the food is mediocre I gave up after a few tries. If you want better pizza etc in ELM, go to Peppa's and Fazio', as recommended here already. Just had the worst sweet sausage grinder ever from DeNard's...