“What about vegetarians?”

Hand and Trumpet
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Wrinehill
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I feel compelled to write after attending the pub for a much anticipated meal. I am vegetarian and from the vast array of choices on the menu I was limited to a choice of a pasta dish, a salad and a "lighter bites" quiche. I decided on the pasta however was told (after a queue to order) that they had run out. I was bitterly disappointed at this. How does a restaurant justify this? So I ended up with a cheese sandwich and bowl of chips - hardly a meal to die for. Why on earth as a vegetarian should I be limited to a salad or a small quiche. Quite frankly it's pathetic for a popular pub. Ironically the night was organised as vouchers had been given for poor, slow service last time. So sadly I must warn people that it really isn't a good place to go. Bitterly, bitterly disappointed

4  Thank CD333333333

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We eat here every few months, it's slightly more expensive than usual pubs in the area, but the food is always excellent and uses ingredients from local sources. The menu is always well thought out and interesting, with something for all palettes.
Friendly service and a good selection of beers and ales make this place a go to pub, and we make a round trip of 20 miles just to eat there. Well worth a visit, especially for foodies!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Having heard good comments about this pub, I can only say after visiting today that it is most definitely a pub I would not recommend to anyone. I ordered the fish and chips which I consider to be a relatively simple meal to get right, but was served was a poorly presented plate, with the chips thrown all over, soggy battered fish and congealed peas for which I was expected to pay £12.25. I returned this meal and even though the Manager was present he did not feel he should personally get involved in resolving the problem. Having spent most of my working life in Senior Management positions, I must say to find this type of management response is very disappointing. The impression I gained when returning this meal was that this was a regular occurrence. Much work needed to improve the food, customer service and management.

8  Thank Paul C
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We visited the hand and trumpet on a Friday lunchtime. The restaurant was quite busy with many tables reserved (due to a music festival taking place in the local village )
The menu offered a range of choice from sandwiches to a full meal
The staff were friendly and helpful and our food was served in good time
The portions were more than adequate, in fact my fish could have been mistaken for a whale
Our meals were nicely presented very tasty and thoroughly enjoyable. A very pleasant way to spend a Friday lunchtime

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I have been the hand and trumpet on a couple of occasions but I have never taken my children because some people told me how child unfriendly the place is. I thought I would take my whole family including a 7mth old and a 4 year old. I was overjoyed by the reception the children got. All the staff were very helpful and friendly towards them. The food was also great for the children and I will definitely be going back