“crowded but pleasant, good service”
Review of Sun Tavern

Sun Tavern
Ranked #2 of 25 Restaurants in Duxbury
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Sun Tavern is an upscale yet casual fine dining restaurant located just south of Boston in a quaint farmhouse dating back to pre-revolutionary days. On a country road in the seaside community of Duxbury, The Sun Tavern's warm inviting environment is a reminder of days gone by, with a fireplace sitting area to warm your soul and five separate dining areas to enjoy the company of others.The Sun Tavern offers a vast array of American cuisine. Listed as one of The Phantom Gourmets "Top 100 Restaurants in New England", you will find cuisine that rivals the finest that Boston has to offer. Awarded the "Gold Plate" by Billy Costa of T.V. Diner and rated "Gourmet Greatness" by the Phantom Gourmet, The Sun Tavern is the place to dine on the South Shore.
Reviewed August 17, 2014

We've eaten here three times now. It's not as relaxing as some places (just for being crowded), but the burgers are very good and the other food is well prepared. The bar is good, but not great if you are looking for high-end liquors and cordials, and local products are nearly absent. I'd go more often if they had more locavore beers and spirits. The service is good and the prices are fair. Importantly, we have not found much better in the area.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

The atmosphere was excellent. The food was even better. Our wait staff were very professional very accommodating. If you're in the Duxbury area, this is a must. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stumbled upon this restaurant after a long day of travel on our way to the Cape. Staff was so very friendly and helpful. The food and ambience were great. Particularly liked the Oysters and prime rib. Too bad we can't visit more often.

Alan G.

5  Thank Alan G
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Been here many times with good reviews.... tonight was awefull....entry steps had a ghetto make shift rickety ramp...waited in lobby trying to get attention to be seated..we should of left then.. Oysters were warm and not very good......my wife' meal came out early and they returned it to the kitchen to hold it over and Micro it..my meal. Sauté' Veal was precook and put over mashed and micro waved. Both were dry and not good at all. This place is off my regular venue.

Lawrence F, Manager at Sun Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

My name is Lawrence Friedman, I am the owner of the Sun Tavern. I would like to greatly apologize for not meeting your expectations on your recent visit. We take feedback from all of our guests very seriously and would like to comment on your review.
Although we have a permanent ramp on the side of the building, we placed a temporary ramp at the front door for a guest who specifically requested it .
I am not sure why you had to wait in the lobby, that is unacceptable as we always have one or more people at the hostess station to greet guests. I apologize that you had to wait and will look into it.
Our oysters are shucked to order and my guess is, since the bartender was extremely busy they sat in the window a little too long. Once again, unacceptable and I apologize. I happened to be walking through the kitchen when Amy brought your wife's meatloaf back because she forgot to request the sauce on the side. Since we had to make a fresh meatloaf dinner for her, which takes at least 5 minutes, we also remade the veal cutlet dish from scratch. All of our meals are made to order and nothing here is ever pre-cooked or microwaved. It is my understanding that both meals were taken off your bill as they were not to your satisfaction. Again, I apologize for not meeting your expectations and would greatly like to make it up to you. I hope that you will visit us again and ask for me or my manager, Laura Hurley, when you next come in so we can assure that you have the positive experience that we strive to provide.
Once again thank you for your feedback and in the future, please feel free to reach out to me directly at larry@suntavernrestaurant.com with any comments or concerns.
Larry Friedman.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Saturday night dinner for two couples was as good as it gets.
One couple split a mussels appetizer and my wife and I split a salad, which the kitchen did for us and delivered in a great presentation with each portion encircled by a super this slice of cucumber. My wife had an outstanding scallop dish, her friend had a blackened salmon, while her husband had a sea food combo and I had a lamb "sirloin. Each dish was uniquely presented over a variety of beautifully finished (and tasty) vegetables. The sauces were outstanding. The meals served hot. The service was excellent - our water glasses never got below half empty. This has to be one of the best restaurants south of Boston.

Lawrence F, Manager at Sun Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

I just wanted to take a moment and say how much we appreciate hearing about your experience at the Sun. We very much value our guests opinions and it is so nice to hear that you both enjoyed your experience. When you are in next please sign up for our emails which will let you know about all of the events and special dinners we feature. You can also follow us on facebook which will give you a heads up on whats happening as well. If you haven't yet, you should also join our VIP Club which will track your spending and reward you with gift cards and special discounts on birthdays and anniversaries.
Once again thank you so much for your very positive feedback.

Been to Sun Tavern? Share your experiences!