“North End Quality in the Merrimack Valley” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Italian, American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Marblehead, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“North End Quality in the Merrimack Valley”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

I went to this restaurant with my SO , at his suggestion the other night. It's hard to believe that I haven't tried it, even though I live a short drive away.
When we first pulled in, I was a bit skeptical, given Scola's location in a small shopping plaza. Very non-descript from the outside. However, stepping inside, it was like being transformed into any one of the cozy little romantic North End restaurants. The interior was pretty, the candlelit tables romantic and cozy.
Our server greeted us promptly and was very friendly and efficient. The bread was tasty and fresh. As we looked over the appetizer selection, we had a hard time deciding aong the selections and ultimately decided on the chicken finger, since the menu boasted they were the "best you've ever tasted". That was enough of a challenge.
Well, Let me tell you, the menu did not lie. Hand battered strips of fresh chicken breasts lightly fried and coated in a honey mustard glaze that was unbelievably tasty. They were served with blue cheese dressing and carrot and celery sticks.
I have this thing, whenever I try a new Italian restaurant, that I almost always get the chicken Parmesan. I figure if they can do that well, then they can do just about anything else.
This dish did not disappoint for sure. It was about the best Parmesan I've had in several years. I liked that it wasn't drowning in sauce and the angel hair pasta was done just right. My SO got a baked pasta with meatballs dish and loved it, although for me it had a bit too much sauce, but I think that was part of the dish.
Both our entrees came with a choice of soup or salad and since it was a chilly night, be both opted for soup. My chicken soup was loaded with big chunks of white meat chicken and vegetables, He ordered the corn chowder and while I am not a fan of corn chowder, he encouraged me to try a taste and I have to say it was quite good, flavorful and sweet. ( my main issue with corn chowder is that it tends to be bland-this was not.)
The value here is hard to beat. Our entrees were in the neighborhood of $13-$15. We had no room for dessert and opted for coffee instead.
Overall, a very pleasant experience and a definite do again. I would recommend it for a cozy date or even a family dinner.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank StarChaser810

Dracut, Massachusetts, United States
“Worst service of a lifetime!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

We made reservations for dinner at Scola's for my grandson's 4th birthday 10/ 21/2011.
I HAVE LIVED IN DRACUT FOR 50 YRS. It was my most horrible restaurant experience ever. Reservations were for 6:30 PM. After being seated we waited for 45 minutes for the cocktails for 2 of us , then we waited an unmeasurable time for the other 4 people to be served theirs. There were 8 adults and 2 chidren, one 6 yr old and one 4 yr old who were very happy as it was the 4 yr old's birthday. That changed when the children waited for 2 hours for their food. By that time they had lost their appetite and couldn't even eat.
The service was so horrible I cannot descibe it. I have eaten in restaurants all over the world and I can without a doubt say this was by far my worst experience. The waitress messed up so many things I won't even list them all ( one example was chicken piccata instead of veal piccata ) Worst of all was when we asked to speak to the manager it took another 1/2 hour for a response. She was apathetic and figured she'd fix things by sending a desert for the 4 yr. old. Didn't work, never saw her again. We are local, business professionals, and extremely disgusted with what we thought was a great restaurant in our home town. It is anything but!! What a gross disaster! I would highly recomend that people stay clear of this restaurant unless they want a bad experience. It ruined an evening we can't replace.

4 Thank Jeanne H
Lowell, Massachusetts
“Poor service and poor management”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

service was very poor. we tried hard to work with manager and waitress. we waited 45 minutes for bread and drinks. food took 90 minutes. we had 2 children age 4 and 6 and they were served last!! what restaurant does that!!!! waitress cried when we tried to talk to her then management thought we were being difficult. food was cold and waitress gave 2 people wrong orders. will not go back due to poor customer service. We have gone here 15 + years and have catered from scolas on 12+ occasions. NEVER AGAIN!! We will not recommend them to any one.

2 Thank Mary w
Boston, Massachusetts
“Large portions of some pretty good Italian food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

Upon recommendation from someone in my church, we tried Scola's yesterday and enjoyed our visit. There was no wait and the atmosphere was homey, although perhaps a little cramped. The menu is vast, making it hard to decide, but also making it more likely that I'll come back another time to try something else. The restaurant specilizes in Italian cuisine and seafood. Both my wife and I went with pasta dishes for this first trip.

I had the veal parmigian with fettuccini. The amount of pasta was enough for three people and there were two large portions of breaded fried veal. The sauce was a little sweet for my taste, but I understand that many people like that. The veal was a little thin, but it was very flavorful.

My wife had the gnocci which our server said was made fresh at the restaurant. The portion was very large. The gnocci were very heavy. Again, I know some people like that, but I've had gnocci that were wonderfully light that were like small pasta pillows carrying the sauce (such as you'd find at Erbaluce in Boston). The gnocci at Scola's were not like that.

My son's chicken fingers were not the mass produced frozen chicken pieces that you get on the kid's menu at some restaurants. Scola's chicken fingers were fresh made, well seasoned and lightly breaded.

The service was a little slow. It looked like they were understaffed. We asked to see a dessert menu and after giving one to us (without prices listed) it took almost 10 minutes before the waitress came back to see if we wanted anything. By that time, we just decided to run up the street to Dunkin Donuts for dessert.

Overall, a good meal. If there was a category between average and very good, I'd probably have marked that one, but the portions were enough for leftovers and the food was pretty good.