“Great option”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Devens
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Great option”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is a fairly new property, with friendly & professional staff, quiet location, and well worth considering if you want to avoid the congestion and higher prices closer in to Boston or Worcester. HGI's are usually done to a high standard, and this one is no exception...very tasteful interiors, nicely decorated, upscale without being luxurious, warm and inviting in a corporate sort of way.

This hotel has plentiful, easy, free parking. Wifi included and works well, though you can get 4G here if you have your own aircard. Fitness center is good--very up to date Precor equipment incl 1 bike, 2 stair machines, 2 treadmills, universal, freeweights, and adjoining room with small pool and hot tub.

Location is excellent for a particular type of traveler. The hotel sits in a "common" next to a Marriott Spring Hill Suites (which i've also stayed at) and a local bar/grill establishment (comparable to an Applebees). There is no highway or railroad or anything else nearby to generate noise. It's located on an old army base that closed years ago and is being transformed into a business/light industrial center. This means if you like to walk or jog, you have miles and miles of quiet streets to go out onto safely. If you have a bike, you can easily ride around. If you want nightlife, you will have to get in your car and drive elsewhere, as there's none here. So... the experienced traveler who wants a modern, clean, upscale place to stay without any stress and hassle will love it here. A traveler that wants to be in the middle of all the action of a city will be bored here but at least will get a great night sleep.

Rooms are generous in size, with the comfortable, adjustable bed Marriott promotes, assortment of pillows, clean and fresh linens. 42" flatscreen HDTV that actually works and shows channels in hi-def. There's a nice large granite countertop and sink in the bath. Room has desk, coffeemaker, mini-fridge, and microwave. Everything was spotless, clean, and worked.

Breakfast is $12.95, but this might be free for some Hilton Honors members, or they build it into the room rate, give you a "free breakfast" coupon, and you see it itemized on your bill at check out. Breakfast includes omelets and pancakes cooked to order, and the normal self-serve buffet items. Nice dining area. It's like most other HGI's. Quality is good. In fact the cooking was very good, but cooks in these places turn over frequently.

There is a small bar. They offer dinner, but with several good places to eat in the area, i didn't try it.

This hotel is almost perfect, except for one thing. It's a wood frame building, so you can hear noise from people around you walking around, loud TVs, slamming doors, etc. Given the clientele who stay here, this isn't much of a problem unless by luck of the draw you have a rude neighbor, and anyway by 10PM everything's quiet. But those who are really picky light sleepers may want the top floor just in case. (I don't know why any company would build a modern hotel using wood framing, it's inappropriate.)

I would stay here again and would recommend it to others. Prices are about right for the area and the quality of the property.

Room Tip: Property is on a large lawn, and there are no highways, airports, factories, etc. nearby so any loca...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Groton, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel on Fort Devens is opposite the Devens Grill and the Marriott Suites. It gives a good Hilton based alternative to the Springfield Suites. My stay here was fine, room was spacious and clean with a nice view over the green. Staff were courteous, parking easy. Really no complaints whatsoever. To be fair it's not any better than the Marriott across the way - its on a par - but that in itself if a compliment.

lake county
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Its a lovely looking hotel - the staff are great, the restaurant is also nice - not great - but out in this area, you'll see why they even have that offered here. However, I stayed in a jr. suite due to room availability. All I have to say is that it is very unfortunate that such a nice looking , new hotel would have such POOR construction that I had to endure the sound of my neighbors 'business' in the rooms next door, and the pounding sounds of my neighbors feet on the floor above. DO NOT STAY here if you hope for a good nights sleep or a chance to do any quality work in your room. There is a Marriott next door - stay THERE instead - trust me!!! Two stars just for the staff, NEGATIVE 3 for the hotel.

Room Tip: Quite simply - do not stay here. Period.
1 Thank reddogbluedog
mikeegan122569, Regional Director (on behalf of the General Manager) at Hilton Garden Inn Devens Common, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality experience you expected during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the noise coming through the walls from neighboring guests.
Your comments have been shared with our maintenance team who will look into solutions to the noise issue which will help us to improve our guest experience moving forward.
We are glad that our friendly and accommodating staff was able to make up for the noise issue in part and we hope you will consider staying with us again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Jon Mehlmann
Crowley, TX
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We recently stayed one night at this property (instead of closer to Boston). We had a last minute change in plans and I selected it since other choices were booked, and here I could use points and just pay the taxes. I normally do not stay anywhere that I don't have a chance to research/read reviews; but the Hilton rep was really pushing this property as a good choice, a good deal and a newer property. Since she said that I could cancel if I saw a review that concerned me later on; I decided to take a chance. I am glad that we did. This hotel was very clean, very comfortable and quiet. The staff was great. Breakfast was not included, but they have a restaurant/grill on site (although we did not eat there...but I wish we had). For dinner the night before, we ate at another grill near the hotel; which was good. I think it took us about an hour to drive back in to Boston to catch our flight home; so not too bad. It was far enough out to be relaxing and the drive there was pretty. I would recommend this property and we would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Smithfield, Rhode Island
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night for a soccer tourney. I was very surprised at how nice it was. Very clean, great amenities and very friendly staff. We had an issue with lack of a cot, the manager was more than understanding and went out of her way to make sure I was happy. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Glendale, California
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I go back to this area often for family events and usually stay at a different, more formal hotel, closer to my destinations. This time that hotel was full, so I tried the HGI at Devens since it was highly rated at this site. As others have said, the hotel is brand new and clean. The room and bathroom were spotless. Nice big glass shower. "Sleep number" bed. Choice of pillows. Outside will probably improve as landscaping matures ... could use more trees.

The biggest and best surprise was the food. We had one dinner there, and my husband and I were amazed at the quality of the food. I had the soup de jour and crab cakes, and my husband had the bourbon steak (a grilled flat iron steak with onion rings). The soup was exotic and delicious, and the crab cakes were (astonishingly) the best I've ever had. I order crab cakes often. I live in L.A., travel to San Francisco, Maryland and Virginia. I'm picky, and I'm not kidding. These were the best crab cakes. Made fresh on the premises ... succulent, spicy and crisp on the outside ... plenty of lump blue crab and chopped sweet red pepper. My husband is an excellent cook, and his son went to chef school. They are "foodies". He liked his steak and loved the onion rings. (He is very picky about onion rings.) I never expected food like this at a "garden inn" ... better than the 4-star hotel we had stayed at in Cambridge the night before. I expressed my surprise to the waiter, who was very proud of the quality of the food. He praised the chef. I praise the chef. HGI ... if you read this ... please do everything in your power to keep this chef. Make him happy. He makes your hotel stand out ... way beyond expectations. I hope he is there when I return.

This is the first time I have rated a hotel. I would not have spent the time and energy if I had not been so pleasantly surprised. As for the one previous negative review about thin walls and noise ... the hotel was not full when I was there, and there was no noise near our room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lyn F
Hershey, PA
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I discovered this hotel on-line and am so glad that I did! I am a HH Gold Member, (so I've stayed at a lot of different properties). I must say that this hotel was outstanding. It is a beautiful brand new hotel (just opened in November 2011). My room was beautifully appointed, the entire hotel staff was extremely friendly and accomodating, the food in the hotel restaurant was wonderful. What more can I say? I will definitely stay at this hotel again and highly recommend it. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Devens
SpringHill Suites Devens Common Center
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leominster
Holiday Inn Boxborough (I-495 Exit 28)
Courtyard Boston Littleton
Westford Regency Inn
Westford Regency Inn
#3 of 3 in Westford
Hampton Inn & Suites Westford - Chelmsford

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Devens Common? Share your experiences!