“This restaurant is worth every minute.”
Review of Clancy's

Clancy's
Ranked #8 of 47 Restaurants in Dennis Port
Cuisines: American, Irish, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 21, 2007

This is my favorite of all restaurants. The one on Upper County Road is the only one I like. I will tell you of my experiences. The wait staff is quite friendly. I have gotten one or two that have kind of ignored us at times, but the majority of the time they were quite attentive. I have ordered the house salad with the honey dijon dressing, and it is always so fresh and awesome. I actually crave salads there. And the chili is so good and mildly spicy, served with nice and unsalty nacho chips to dip in. The fish and chips is outstanding there. I love the thick, crispy puffy fries they serve. You can tell the tartar sauce is homemade and it has small chunks of the ingredients, and is not too overpowering. The fish is perfectly crispy and has a flavor and breading I just can not possibly put into words. I also love how the coleslaw is not dripping with mayo. It is fresh and a more flavorful mix. The cobb salad is also outstanding. I think it is my favorite thing there. It has an extra large tavern salad as base with wheat crisp homemade croûtons, fresh onion, cucumber, and cherry tomatoes. Then warm tender grilled chicken, a chunk of bleu cheese, crisp bacon, succulent lobster, a big fresh shrimp, and a fresh hard boiled egg is put on top. And with that awesome honey Dijon dressing, it is a crave able food. And they have endless options, so you can try a new thing every time. But, on the other low note, on Lower County Road there is the beach bar. I have to say, one time there was more than enough. I ordered the Cobb salad. It came on a black plastic plate. That totally turns me off in a restaurant when something is served on a plastic plate. And the lobster was rubbery, the lettuce was white and the croûtons were tasteless and store bought. Also, the bleu cheese was a hard brick. The bacon was also limp and cold. The server ignored us several times and the hostess was unfriendly and seemed to only like people who wanted to party. I do not recommend going here, unless you like plastic dishes and plastic food.

3  Thank littlerunner13

Reviewed August 20, 2007

My wife and I were staying in Dennisport for a couple of nights and the innkeeper at our B & B suggested going to Clancy's. They would not take reservations so when we arrived we were a bit concerned about the amount of people there. We were told it would be a 45 minute wait and that we could wait at the bar or outside on the patio. Clancy's has two bars and we chose the smaller one in the back. We sat down next to a couple who lived in the area. Clancy's was their favorite restaurant. We ended up ordering dinner at the bar over looking the river and visiting with our new friends. The food was terrific.
The restaurant is very busy apparently all the time. It has a high energy to it and that might bother some. Definitely not a place for a romantic dinner but a place where the locals hang out, enjoy good food and have a good time.

2  Thank Mtiger
Reviewed August 19, 2006

My daughter & I were told by a very knowledgable owner at our hotel that the Clancy's on Upper County Road served good food at good prices with reasonable ambience (i.e., on the river with views). But, nooo...we had to lumber out on our own to the Clancy's nearer to us on Lower County Road (no view, but the possibility of fresh lobster beckoned). The place was packed even at 5pm (lots of kids, lots of everyone!) and service was slow to come. Everything was served on paper plates...my daughter had the lobster bisque in a paper bowl ON a paper plate (hmmm...) Her steamers were cool to the touch (being served in a LARGE paper bowl, how could the server tell??) & were sent back to warm up. Another diner two tables away had the same non-steamed steamer problem...My artisinal beer was served in a plastic cup, although the tuna salad roll was quite good. We passed on lobster, thinking it might still be flipping it's tail, not quite done. Too noisy, mediocre service, prices a bit high for what we got. Maybe Upper is better than Lower!!

3  Thank capemystic
Reviewed August 13, 2006

Clancy's is a very popular local chain with restaurants in Dennis, Dennisport and Hyannis. We stayed in Dennis this past week (starting 8/7/2006) and after reading good reviews for Clancy's online, we decided to try this place. The first night we couldn’t even find a spot to park, the parking lot was jammed and there was a line outside the door. We thought this must be something spectacular, and decided to go earlier the next night. Now after eating there we can't figure out why folks flock to this place. The service was fine and the seating OK. The restaurant is huge, but despite that, expect a wait if you go at dinner hour, it's mobbed. The food was dismal, at best. The breadsticks were coated in some sticky-sweet, oily garlic stuff. The salad was mediocre. We both ordered fried seafood platters. The seafood was sub par--greasy and heavy-handed with the batter with bland cocktail sauce. The rest of the menu seemed very standard. I'm sure this place is good for families with finicky eaters and children, but it was a true disappointment in a vacation place that has so many good seafood restaurants. If you're looking for prime fried seafood, trust me and go to the Kream 'N' Kone instead. It may lack ambience, but the food will more than make up for it.

2  Thank zelphie
Reviewed July 29, 2006

Good food, good drinks, good service. What more could you ask for? Although not a real fan of the common "fried" seafood available (anywhere) on Cape Cod, I had the fried shrimp. Large, succulent, perfect. One of the best. Service was attentive and friendly, even as the restaurant became crowded and hectic. All in all, a good experience--and reasonable.

1  Thank ebz06