“Not accommodating, but clean”

Colonial Village Motel & Cottages
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Dennis Port
Reviewed August 1, 2009

I booked this hotel for my wedding guests in September 2009. I only booked here because it was the only hotel still available for the weekend I wanted. At first the staff was friendly and the rooms seemed clean. However, they were NOT accommodating. They gave me hassle for blocking rooms. Then in August...after we had booked 30+ rooms...they took the hold off of the other 8 rooms because they "needed the space for other guests". I let them know that I would pay for the rooms whether guests stayed in them or not and that I would sign something saying that I would pay them the difference when I came down for the wedding. They wanted a credit card on the spot in order to hold the rooms. I didn't have a credit card on me that would carry that much money...therefore my rooms were unblocked.

Not only that, I asked to speak to the owner of the hotel to square things away. A family member of the owner, possibly daughter, called me back and was VERY rude. She said that she had enough of me and my family and she wouldn't hold the rooms for us anymore. When I asked her to give me a list of the people who had already booked she told me that she had already given that information to me once before and she wouldn't give it to me again. She wasn't going to sit on the phone and read the names of the people who had booked for my wedding. When I told her that she was talking to the bride and was promising and willing to sign a contract that the rooms would be paid for she said that she had to go because she was VERY busy. I asked what her name was and she hung up the phone on me.

I had been nothing but nice to these people who were rude and obnoxious back to me. She was rude to my entire family. I had gone there one month earlier and asked her to verify that one person had booked a room and not a cottage, because the receptionist I spoke to said my aunt had booked a cottage and my aunt thought she booked a room. It took them 35 minutes to give me an answer. One person was on the phone in front of the filing cabinet and the other person I was talking to said she couldn't ask the person on the phone to move. So I stood there for 35 minutes hoping to find out what my guests had booked as rooms.

I am very unhappy with the service at this hotel and would advise anyone to pick another hotel to say at...if they are available. I guess I know the reason now why this hotel was not booked when every other hotel in the area was!

• Stayed: August 2009
4  Thank Kris1254

Reviewed August 10, 2008

We regularly stay at 5 Star Hotels and this is a charming motel.

This is a fine motel with a wonderful indoor pool and nice gronds. The efficiency room is quite nice. Staff is friendly. It's a disgrace that some folks panned Colonial Village.

This is our first stay here in years and we were again pleasantly surprised with how nice and quiet the place is.

Colonial Village has been with the same owners for at least the last 20 years and we have wonderful memories here for our Cape family vacations. It continued with this recent trip.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RJTR
Reviewed August 7, 2008

I'm writing this because I think some of the other reviews are unfair. Yes it is an older style property and the decor of the rooms is a bit dated but when you're paying less than $150 on the Cape in peak summer you can't expect modern luxury.

Our party was 2 adults & 2 children and the first floor room we had was clean and comfortable. Yes the mattresses were on the firm side but this is much better than being thin and soft. The sheets & pillows were clean and fresh as was the bathroom and kitchenette - which included a fridge, and was a bonus we hadn't expected.

The motel is a short walk from Inman public beach and much better value than some of the seafront places we looked at. The pool was great, particularly the indoor one for an evening swim and the jacuzzi was even better.

If you need somewhere clean & comfortable for an overnight or short stay then you could do a lot worse for the same money.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2008

BTW- I paid $150/night for efficiency.... what a waste!!!

Oh my god. Where do I begin? First of all, you drive up and the place looks like a total dump that hasnt been remodeled in ages... then you go into the- I dont even know what to call it... - I guess the office. Ok, the office is this lil desk where this old RUDE lady (who is very slow and cannot multi-task) checks you in... and if you didnt notice nothing is modern... they still check you in on this paper like cardboard type poster board thing- with a pencil. Yeah great... a PENCIL! OK.... it gets better.... they fail to mention this in any of the chain websites- but its $15 per extra person per night... and I suggest to just pay it instead of trying to hide the person because its like they are always watching you!!! yeah, I paid $30 for my 2 nights for an infant after she spotted me by the pool with her.

Ahhhh yeah, Get to the room- its totally sixties style and has never been updated. Beds had bugs on them. Everything was just so outdated and needs total renovation package.

PS: Guests are not allowed- and not allowed to use any facilities.
This is a total white trash motel. I paid $150/night for the efficiency and would have much rather gone to Hyannis and paid the $200/night for one of the chains... but then again I wasnt expecting to be charged extra per child at this place.... oh and its cuz they dont like kids!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 19, 2007

I just returned from a stay at the Colonoal Village and had no problems. It is a Cape Cod hotel, simple and older. The grounds are kept very nice, there is an indoor and outdoor pool. The rooms are clean and they have recently been painted. The staff was very accommodating especially since we had arrived to the hotel at 2 in the morning. It is a nice walk to the beach about 5-10 minutes but in walking distance. I would stay here again I dont have any complaints,

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed August 12, 2007

I was a bit wary of staying at this hotel when I read the previous reviews, but we found the staff to be courteous and helpful and the maintenance of the property to be top rate. To be sure, the hotel isn't new, and there are a lot of fancier and newer places to rent, but this place was a great no-frills deal on Expedia. The room was clean, as was the bathroom. The airconditioning worked well, and the kitchenette unit provided us with what we needed. We spent five comfortable days here - a five minute walk from Nantucket Sound and several restaurants. If you know value, this is a steal.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank APtraveler
Reviewed June 24, 2006

Due to the overwhelming negative reports of this motel, I took it upon myself to write an email to the owner, inquiring about all of the negative feedback. Not only did the owner write back, she called me personally and we had a very nice conversation.

In fact, each and every staff member we encountered during our stay was extremely courteous, and very friendly. I stayed at this motel during a weekend in June with my wife and 5 month old son, and we had a very pleasant experience. We chose to stay in a basic motel room, although they do also rent efficiencies and cottages. Someone wrote that they got evil glares from the staff, and they did not like children. We felt very comfortable with the staff, and they seemed genuinely interested in our wellbeing, several times asking "if there's anything you need...". Since we have an infant son, we requested a first floor room, and received a first floor room without any problems. The parking lot is spacious, private, and accommodated our car without any problems. There were many children there, and everyone seemed happy.

I found the grounds of the hotel to be very appealing. There are lots of trees and plants as alluded to in their brochure and website. We had torrential rain all weekend, so we utilized the indoor pool which is enclosed in an all glass, almost greenhouse-like enclosure which we found rather interesting. The hot tub was a good temperature and nice and deep to get a good soak. The entire area was clean and in good condition.

We did not find our room to be small, as one reader reported. In fact, we had plenty of room to move around, even with the crib.

No hotel experience is perfect, and to be fair and honest, there are a few areas of Colonial Village that need improvement. First and foremost, I think the motel is slightly overpriced compared to comparable motels in the Dennisport area. We visit Dennisport every year, and this is the first year we did not stay at the Garlands, down the street, reason being they do not allow children under 5 years old. We paid far less money there, and we were on the ocean with a two bedroom efficiency, however, there is no pool at the Garlands. Other hotel/motels on the beach with similar on site facilities with indoor and outdoor pools offer rooms starting at around $90 for this part of June, with no surcharges for children under two. At the Colonial Village, we happened to stay across a cutoff date, and were charged $105 the first night, and $120 the second. This included a $15 fee per night that the motel charges to ALL additional persons in the room, regardless of age. I felt that paying $30 for my 5 month old to stay at the motel was excessive (and reported as such to the staff).

Having said that- please understand that the policy is CLEARLY stated in their publications (i.e.- brochure, website, etc). We had no surprises at check in. The rate and surcharge applied to our stay were in direct accordance with their website.

The beds in our room did need some attention. We found them soft, and not overly comfortable.

In summary, this is not a glamorous Las Vegas style luxury hotel, and they don't advertise it as such. We found the stay to be pleasant, and overall, we had a positive experience. The staff takes a great deal of pride in their motel, and we enjoyed meeting them and talking to them. We did not feel threatened or poorly treated by them at any time.

Stayed: June 2006
#10 of 21 in South Yarmouth
The Garlands
The Garlands
#15 of 19 in Dennis Port

Been to Colonial Village Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!