“Nothing nice except the view”
Review of The Garlands

The Garlands
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Dennis Port
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nothing nice except the view”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We fell victim to the "oops, we overbooked" scam that these people seem to be running. The first night we were in a shabby little one-bedroom in Seaside. Despite knowing that we'd need the sofa-bed, they left us no extra pillows or mattress pad-- just some sheets. For the next two nights we moved to the 2-bedroom place we'd originally booked, and it was minimally acceptable. Ripped furniture, window had to be propped open, 1 spoon in the kitchen. But it was reasonably clean and quiet.

5 Thank 410cccc

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Guilderland, New York
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We thought we booked oceanfront end unit per the website, but we were put in a shabby unit next door that is not even mentioned on the website! The view was great but that was it! The unit was awful. The screen door was ripped and laying on the balcony along with broken chairs and windows. The pullout sofa was from the year one, along with all the furniture in the place. The bathroom was moldy and the shower curtain was Made of paper. Paint was slopped on the walls by a two year old. There is no beach, especially at high tide. Each unit is individually owned, and management would not fix anything for us! Perhaps the good reviews had units rented from responsible owners. We got a full refund after the first night and went to the Breakers! BEWARE

Room Tip: Make sure you know exactly where your room is located! We were put in the shabby motel next door th...
7 Thank John C

Travelers are raving about these Dennis Port hotels

Hell, Michigan
Reviewed August 23, 2013

OK, to be fair I will start out with the the positives - Great location, friendly people, Port Dennis is lovely, it's on the water front. But the condo we stayed in was filthy. There was hair behind the bathroom door, old soap and empty shampoo bottles in the shower, obviously the shower wasn't cleaned before we got there, toilet didn't look clean either in the 1960ish bathroom, empty cans under the bed, red 'sauce' on the stove, crumbs all over the counter top like it wasn't wiped down, screen door was ripped, cracked wall, broken window, no air conditioning, little refrig was barely cold. So when I say it was like camping, it was like roughing it. Like camping you can enjoy the lovely outdoors and views... but you have to be prepared for your stay. This is what you should bring:

- A sense of humor, open mind
- Lysol, paper towels, bleach, windex to clean the place to your standard
- Extra bath towels, rooms sleeps 4 but you get 2 bath towels, maybe sheets if you are picky
- A cooler, ice because the refrig is small and doesn't work
- Hair dryer, clothes iron

There isn't really a sandy beach in front of the place, but there is one very close by. So this place will work OK for some people but not for others.

Room Tip: Ask to be closer to the water and ask to have the room inspected by the manager for cleanliness befo...
2 Thank ZuluZuluZulu
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 27, 2013

If you see my other reviews you will note I generally accentuate the positive. This review will not be as positive. Still, there are some positives to take away from the place: all of the rooms seem to have an ocean-front view; the rooms are literally a dozen steps from the water. The showers are hot and have great pressure. The place has a kitchen which is somewhat stocked with equipment for the purpose of cooking The place has a little deck over-looking the water. The area has lots of restaurants and shops though a car is truly required unless you feel like walking several miles to reach most of them. Now for the issues. I note that reviewers often claim a place is not clean when it is really just dated (I have stayed at such places which were reviewed by Trip Advisor reviewers). But this place is both dated and dirty: just a little. It is not as if the place is really dirty. One gets the sense that it is not really ever cleaned well. For instance, the rug underneath my feet feels a little sketchy. The bedroom has a slightly musty smell as if the sheets are changed but the bed cover is not cleaned more than once a year. The kitchen has not one sharp knife (only butter knives); there are all of two glasses in the cabinet that are larger than 6 ounces. The screen door to the deck is broken and sits in front of the doorway. When we arrived a knock soon came to our door. It was an employee that was unaware we had arrived. We asked about paper towels because there was one (literally) hanging onto its cardboard core. She said paper towels were not part of the deal. This leads me to other things: the towels in the bathroom were threadbare; the furnishings were dated and the beds were slightly uncomfortable. So - really - there are no amenities. I would recommend the place to a family looking for a budget vacation as it is about 250$/ night inclusive of taxes and has a kitchen. It is not that the place is gross (it is not), it is that it is not for folks that like good to great accommodations. I do not regret coming but, having traveled the world, would not come back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #4. I understand that each room is owned by someone and that the owner creates or...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Bradford G
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 18, 2013

It was a busy weekend on the Cape and The Garlands was chosen as a guess. It was an OK property, very clean inside the room. The location is good and the waves do crash on the stone wall, so it makes for a nice location. With regard to the rest of the building, it needs a ton of TLC. The entire property has been rode hard and needs a lot of repair, painting, spiffing, and loving care. After initially checking in, we were on our own. It was very quiet and the view was great. I hope that folks that read this will take the comments for what they are, just trying to be honest.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank genhub22
Ballston Spa, New York
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We recently did a last minute getaway to the Cape. I was meeting my sister and her family for a long awaited reunion. I found The Garlands in Dennisport at the last minute and they were having a great sale for the weekend. Since my sister was staying right down the road, we decided to go! The place was very easy to find and it really was very nice. We got a 2 bedroom, with a small kitchen and bathroom, It was right on the water and had great views! We really had a great time and loved every minute of our stay. The only bad part is we couldn't stay longer!

Room Tip: If you can get a front room over looking the ocean it's worth the extra money!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
NY
Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you are looking solely to sit on your patio and read or listen to the ocean waves, this is for you. Pros: Accommodating staff, although only there from 8 to 5:30. Must leave keys under mat when leaving. When seated in the livingroom, it felt like you were in a boat, water all around. The sounds of the waves crashing against the rocks was great.
Cons: The unit we stayed in was so outdated. I used my imagination to make believe that it was my unit and I filled it with used furniture and things I did not need in my main house. The table was great. The other furniture outdated and uncomfy. I thought I felt fleas.at times. The bedroom was wall to wall bed, little room to move. The bathroom was also small and barely enough room to fit into the shower. There was just a tiny stretch of beach, and you had to walk down steep stairs and climb over rocks to get to it, at low tide only. This is not a place I would bring a family, you have to drive everywhere. The doors did not shut because of the rust. I expected a little rust as you are on the beach. We only stayed two nights and made the best of it, but I would not stay there again. No air conditioning, just small fans. I would not recommend this property.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms have a great view of the ocean, so close you feel as if you can step out the door...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
#6 of 19 in Dennis Port
Riviera Beach Resort
Riviera Beach Resort
#10 of 21 in South Yarmouth

Been to The Garlands? Share your experiences!