“Poor customer relations; uneven food quality”
Review of The Red Pheasant

The Red Pheasant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Red Pheasant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 26 Restaurants in Dennis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Creative and Classic Cuisine in the charm of a 200 year old barn on Cape Cod. Fresh flavors and local ingredients are our hallmarks.
Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts
“Poor customer relations; uneven food quality”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I ate here with my father who was visiting from western Mass. My dish (salmon) was really excellent, but his (striped bass) was absolutely terrible. It was void of taste and had the texture of leather. (This is not just my father's opinion; I tasted it, too, and it was truly awful. Both of us have decent palates and like all kinds of fish, so it's odd that we BOTH thought it was so bad.) The owner came over to ask how things were (we didn't call her over--she came to our table on her own and ASKED us how things were), and I was very honest: I said my dish was delicious, but that my father's was terrible. She asked him what was wrong with it and he said, simply, "it tastes like leather." The owner then told him that everyone else who ordered it had raved about it (meaning what? that my father is crazy?) and on her own she determined that my father "must just not like bass." Later, she came by again and asked him to take a taste from the middle of the fish because she still couldn't believe it was leathery. My father obliged, but the middle tasted the same as the ends. The owner pretty much just walked away. Though my father left literally 90% of his $33 meal (he had two small bites; I had one), there was no accommodation on the bill for it being inedible. But the owner's coup de grace came when we were leaving the restaurant: she was at the front door, and I said nicely, "Thank you. Goodnight." (because I was taught to always be honest AND polite), but the owner completely failed to acknowledge us. My 89-year old father, who walks painfully and with the help of a cane, and I decided (with humor) that we should have known something was amiss when we arrived earlier in the evening and discovered that the "handicapped" parking spot was six or seven spots from the door, rather than in the spot closest to the door! Cape Cod is teeming with restaurants whose food is consistently good, and whose owners/staff treat their customers with graciousness and respect. The Red Pheasant is definitely NOT one of those restaurants.

2 Thank tizik16
RedPheasant, Owner at The Red Pheasant, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry your father did not like the Bass. In speaking with you I did offer to get him something else. It is true, I was very surprised because we had rave reviews on the Bass all night. I wish he had let me get him a different item, I know he loved your salmon. Was I on the phone or in conversation when you left because I do make every effort to say good night to everyone. I apologize if you felt slighted, it certainly was not intentional! Our handicap spaces are near the walkway behind the garden, it is possible you just saw the stairs?. In making a reservation if you mention handicap I can explain the best way to enter and give you a table that is easily accessible, I am very sorry your evening was less than perfect.

Ivoryton, Connecticut
“best on the cape”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Bluefish Bill say's The Red Pheasant in Dennis is the best on the Cape, freshest ingredients possible, none of that pre-cook crap that I have seen in other places, who is Bluefish Bill? cooked at The Chanticleer under Jean charles for 16 yrs, many places in N.Y.C. I have a pretty good idea of great food and The Red Pheasant is it!!!!!

3 Thank Bill V
West Yarmouth, Massachusetts
“Fresh, Delicious & Great service”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Lobster served in a light crusted pastry with fresh spinach was impeccable! The oysters we so tasty for starters. My 3 other guests had the sirloin steak and elk which was tender and cooked to perfections with asparagus and mashed potato. To top of the meal we finished up with the greatest Key Lime Pie caped OCD has to offer. Our table overlooked the delightful flower garden.

1 Thank tkjreviews
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Best”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The food is amazing. The view from the garden room is lovely, and there is a cozy bar. The service is professional and overall the best restaurant in Dennis.

Visited July 2013
Wellesley, Massachusetts
“excellent - deserves the accolades”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Everything about the evening was excellent - from the friendly greeting at the front desk, to the choice of table (we opted to sit overlooking the gardens), to all of the very knowledgeable wait staff, to the food. We shared a white bean crostini as a starter and couldn't get enough of it. For mains, the scallops were delicious, and the very generous portion of the duck was excellent. Desserts were equally good. Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2013