“Skip it if you are not a local or a party of two”

Chapin's Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 25 Restaurants in Dennis
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Brookline, Massachusetts
“Skip it if you are not a local or a party of two”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I recently visited Chapins in Dennis MA while on vacation with my wife. We were told that the wait was about 30 minutes. We waited an hour and fifteen minutes while we watched large parties who came in much later than us get called or if you were friends of the staff that entitled you to get priority seating. When I complained that others that came in after us were getting seated, the the friendly hostess turned unfriendly and replied that they have to seat large parties first. When I commented that the 30 minute wait was now 75 minutes plus, she said that 30 minutes was only a guess. In other words, we don't know you, shut up and wait. After getting seated it took another 15 minutes before a waitress came over. After all that frustration, the blood pressure was high and the food was mediocre.

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank Luca66_43

Boston, MA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great atmosphere, drinks and food”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Went to Chapin's and sat at the bar for drinks and dinner. The fried green beans with wasabi sauce were a great way to start the meal! The Cobb salad (with lobster, shrimp and chicken) was enjoyed by my husband, and I had the portobello mushroom sandwich. Very flavorful and huge (took 1/2 home). Will return asap!

liverpool, ny
“Decent food, iffy service”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband, myself and our 6 month old daughter ate at Chapin's Easter weekend 2011. We arrived 10 minutes after they opened...partially to avoid valet parking, which I personally think is ridiculous in the off season.
The hostess seated us quickly. The server was quite slow in responding to us for so early in the evening. Also, the servers kept gathering around the hostess area to gab, which I find unprofessional.
Overall, we were happy with our meals. The portions are quite large. I had no food issues with the restaurant.
This is a good restaurant during the off hours. I don't know that I would wait in line to eat there...expecially when the service appears to be hit or miss.

• Visited April 2011
Venice
“Go Early”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We have been avoiding this place because of the valet parking. Today we went about 3:30pm to avoid that issue. Tracy was behind the bar and gave us ice cold beer,great fried shrimp, lobster quesadillas and bone in chicken wings. All really spot on. Tracy was relieved by Famous Shamus and Michele at 5pm. The best bartending duo bar none.

Winchester, Massachusetts
“You can do much better”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We were on our way to Wellfleet and found Chapin's on the web. We decided to try it based on the reviews. My wife had a gluten free menu and got cod. It was just broiled with some rice crumbs flow on it. She couldn't eat the side dish and so they told her she could have a salad instead but then they charged an extra $4. I had a chicken dish with really strange seasoning. The chicken was okay but the rest was just edible.

The service was good but the food was less than so so and it was as expensive as some really excellent restaurants we have been to this week. Keep driving you can do much better.