“Great people, friendly service!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Starlight Lodge Cape Cod

You added Starlight Lodge Cape Cod to your Saves list
Starlight Lodge Cape Cod
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   203 Route 6A, Dennis, MA 02638 (Formerly Briarcliffe Motel)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dennis
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Great people, friendly service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Briarcliffe is a small motel with a super friendly staff and owners. I've had to arrive at some pretty odd times and they have always accomodated me. They have also accomodated parking in their lot with a truck and motorcycle on a trailer. While this may not seem like a big deal, their lot size is small so parking spaces are precious.

The only note I have (as of July 2013) is that rooms need updating. The facilities aren't the newest on the cape, and some rooms show their age. Nothing that makes me think twice about booking a room every year, just small things like swolen bathroom doors that are hard to shut. Having family in the area, I'm very well aware of the effect the salty cape air has on woodworking, so things tend to age quickly.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom C
kbjw3k, Owner at Starlight Lodge Cape Cod, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thanks Tom! We are always grateful for the kind words. Someday when we have built some capital, we will be able to afford some great upgrades! Can't wait!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Delray Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

We booked our room several months ago, I had requested early check in, they said they would save my room for us, which as it turned out, there were hardly anyone there. They knew we were arriving & said they shampooed rug & hopefully it was dry now. Room was so runned down, I have terrible allergies so I had left the AC on when we returned, they opened our windows & shut off AC , sorry but I paid for the room & would have hoped they leave the room,as I had left it. Beds were just terrible, rusted frames etc we had tried to enjoy the pool on Sunday morning, no such luck, they thought it was a great idea to do all there landscaping on Sunday morning & debri went in pool & it was so loud, I wanted to read a book, I ended up leaving the motel, not one car on Mon or Tues & could not do landscaping before there guests arrived or departed, no regard at all. Now I know why it was empty, as far as I could tell, they havent put a dime into the place in 15 yrs, my advice, pay more money & stay elsewhere!

• Stayed June 2014
7 Thank Sunshine2012_13
kbjw3k, Owner at Starlight Lodge Cape Cod, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
It is disappointing that this guest was not satisfied with their stay at the
Briarcliffe. We were surprised that the reviewer was put off by our cleaning
efforts when shampooing the rug and tending to the bi-weekly landscaping
needs that occur in the summer months. At the Briarcliffe, we attempt to do
the landscaping in short 1 to 2 hour intervals, when we believe they will be
the least disruptive. Let us apologize that it affected this guest's ability
to enjoy the pool. The Serta mattresses in ALL our rooms were recently
purchased and have been described as comfortable by many. A rust spot on
the bed frame was found and replaced.

We take each review as an opportunity to improve our property so our new and
returning guests can enjoy their visit. As owners, managers, landscapers, carpet cleaners or whatever role needs to be filled, my wife and I take pride in trying to give each and every guest a
positive experience. We are deeply sorry that we did not accomplish our goal
with this guest.
Saddle River, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Briarcliffe Motel was recommended to our family by friends(also from Jersey) who stayed there last summer. We enjoyed our recent stay largely due to the motel's great location near fantastic beaches (Corporation and Mayflower) and the wonderful people who run the motel. They went out of their way to meet our needs and enjoy this quiet and quaint part of Cape Cod. Our room was a standard 2 double bed room with a/c and refrigerator. It was clean, shower worked well, a great ice machine to fill our cooler for the beach and morning complementary coffee was available in the office. The hotel has a clean refreshing pool (on the smaller side) surrounded by tables and lounge chairs. When not at the beach the kids had a great time swimming in the pool while we lounged. The motel is on the older side but as stated very clean, descent furnishings, plenty of clean towels and linens and is much less expensive than comparable rooms on the Jersey shore which we frequented for several years. There are also several attractions and good eateries near the hotel and a great ice cream shop(Frosty's) within walking distance to the motel where we had our evening treat. After reading the reviews on the Briarcliffe, we would recommend the two recent poor reviews be strongly discounted. We found the motel to be more in line with the majority of other families who gave the Briarliffe, its location and accompanying customer service excellent reviews. We thanked our friends for referring us to the Briarcliffe and we plan to do the same to others and would definitely return to this fine beachside motel.

5 Thank Jean R
Thanks for your review Jean! Location, location, location! We hope to see you again soon. :)
Storrs, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I recently stayed at the Briarcliffe motel on route 6A in Dennis, MA. The hotel owners were more than accommodating and helped my family and I find great local restaurants and attractions. The Briarcliffe is an older hotel, but the rooms are clean and a good value for the proximity to the outstanding Dennis beaches. Nice pool for a dip after the beach. I would highly recommend the Briarcliffe for your next stay.

3 Thank Matt R
rhode island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

went there just this week , omg!!! omg!!!, it was terrible,the smell of mold , was terrible open windows put on old air conditioner, it was so loud,rug was really crappy wallpaper coming of in bathroom, stuck with tacts ,, the pillow was so flat ,, some other people i knew who were going to the same party as us, said she had terrible reaction from the mold, they left early ,every one on our side of the motel was sitting outside in the morning drinking coffee,not looking happy , another couple said to her husband you got to be kidding me .the bathroom window was all rotten,,never never again even for free

Room Tip: there are alot of better places in the area , i just waited to long and they were taken
7 Thank aggiebust
kbjw3k, Owner at Starlight Lodge Cape Cod, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
We take the feedback seriously that is given to us by our guests. Constructive feedback gets our attention while feedback based upon embellishments and perceptions do not.
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We've been vacationing in this area for many years, renting a cottage. This year we decided to rent at the Briarcliff instead. First, the positive: the owners are friendly, the pool is clean and has decent patio furniture. There is free coffee in the morning at the reception..On the negative side, the rooms are old and dated. The room was small, which is not in itself a problem. One queen bed with one of those terrible polyester printed bedspread. Dark red carpeting and dark wood furniture, consisting of: one nigh.stand, one bureau with loose handles that rattled anytime we walked by, 2 lamps (one did not work) an old mini fridge with a door that scraped the carpet when opened, one arm chair. Some hooks on the wall. The room was very gloomy, I assume it was clean. The floor in the bathroom floor was badly stained, and part of the "plywood" tiles were missing. The bottom of the door was all splintered. No need to exfoliate as the towels ( changed daily and clean) were very rough. The worst problem was the air conditioning unit, located about 2 feet from my head. It was so noisy that it woke us up every time it started.
One (!) plastic chair outside on the porch (for 2 people).No tables. The concrete around the pool is disintegrating so you carry loose gravel under your feet everywhere. On most nights, there was a "vacancy" sign up, and I understand from some people that they booked there because it was available at the last minute. It is unfortunate that more is not done to upgrade this property. Maybe they can't afford to but in a few years the whole place will collapse.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Michele639
This guest was correct. Purchasing and maintaining a seasonal motel during the past several years has been a capitol buster. Hopefully, someday we will be able to make the changes that this guest recommends. Thank you for your feedback.
Leominster, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Just spent two nights at the Briarcliffe and loved it! My family had spent the week in a vacation home in Dennis with no air conditioning and the heat was horrible. My husband and I needed a place to stay in order to attend a wedding on the Cape on Saturday. I called and talked to Ken and he was able to accommodate us (and assured me that the air conditioning was available). When we checked in, I told Julie we were attending a wedding the next day and she offered me use of her iron (didn't need it, but the offer was much appreciated). After a great night's sleep, we went to the wedding and when we came back the room was immaculate and there was a $20.00 bill on the freshly made bed! I must have dropped it when changing purses and the staff found it and put it on the bed for me to easily see when we got back! Ken and Julie not only run a great motel, but they have an excellent hard-working and honest staff. Thank you so much. I am definitely referring my friends to your place and hope to come back so I can enjoy the pool on a longer trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rosemary5912
I am glad we could help Rosemary! Thanks for your kind words..... much appreciated!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dennis
Sesuit Harbor House
Brentwood Motor Inn
Brentwood Motor Inn
#19 of 21 in South Yarmouth
3.0 of 5 stars 54 reviews

Been to Starlight Lodge Cape Cod? Share your experiences!