“A classic reopened, and better than ever”
Review of Deerfield Inn

Deerfield Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deerfield
New London, New Hampshire
“A classic reopened, and better than ever”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a business meeting and dinner with clients. The inn has just reopened after an 18-month renovation required by damage from Hurricane Irene. The building itself, inside and outside, is beautiful, comfortable and in keeping with historical Deerfield Village. Our room was spacious, well decorated and provided with plenty of amenities. The staff was supremely accommodating of my request for a quiet place to meet and for a part of the dining room where we could continue in some seclusion. Oh yes, the dining room--Champney's.
Service was just the right blend of attention, cheerfulness and patience with our leisurely meal. Now the food: almost everything was locally sourced, fresh and delicious. It was also prepared and garnished perfectly, and we enjoyed everything from steaks to fish. I should also mention that the included-in-the-package breakfast was delicious, well presented and pleasantly served. I would definitely return; in fact, I hope that the opportunity will arise.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Daphneanne, Owner at Deerfield Inn, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
How lovely to read your words! We all try hard to do our best every day, and we do occasionally fall short because that is the way we humans are! But what pleasure it has given us all to know we made you happy and that you enjoyed hour time with us. We hope you come back! The summer menus will be in place on July 1st!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Clementon, New Jersey
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I love the Deerfield Inn in its entirety. The rooms are beautifully decorated, the dining areas are lovely with fireplaces, cozy seating areas, wonderful pub All the employees are friendly and helpful. The owners, Karl and Jane are always on the premise inquiring about your stay and plans for the day. The food was excellent and other guests friendly and fun. The quaint town of old Deerfield offers lovely homes to visit and quiet walks throughout the area. The Deerfield Inn is a secret gem not to be missed.

Room Tip: I stayed in the carriage house which was lovely but certain the main inn is equally as nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Daphneanne, Owner at Deerfield Inn, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write. We appreciate that so very much. So glad you enjoyed your visit here and hope you won't be a stranger!
Biddeford, Maine
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I booked a room at the Deerfield in on Friday, June 7th with a checkout date of June 8th for my mother and I to have a Mom-Daughter getaway (the first since my son was born 8 months ago). I am a former employee at Yankee Candle, and had always stayed here when traveling to Deerfield for meetings many years ago. I always loved my stay, and was excited to take a trip down Memory Lane this year.
Upon Check-in, I was turned off immediately by Helen's indifference in checking us in. It was a horribly rainy cold night, and we were happy to finally reach our destination. We were told that our room was located in the Carriage House, which was fine, but were told by Helen that we needed to go back out and drive our car around the back to park there. We already had brought our luggage into the building. The reason I am mentioning this is that there is a way from the Main Inn to the Carriage House without needing to go outside. No offer for help from Helen.
When we got to our room, we wanted to have a cup of tea and relax before heading to Champney's for dinner. Our television set would not work, so I called the front desk and spoke with Helen. She immediately blamed us for 'doing something' to the TV, and huffed about having to send someone up to check it out. She did end up coming to the room, along with another employee, who confirmed that there was something wrong with our remotes, and she fixed it immediately. Again...no apologies from Helen at all. The other girl that helped us was extremely nice, and I wish now I had gotten her name. Helen left the room without so much as a goodbye.
Now--I have NEVER written a complaint about any restaurant/inn on any websites, but really felt strongly about this one. We were made to feel like an imposition (after spending almost $300 on our room) by Helen. Amazing how just one person can make such a negative impact on the way we now feel about our beloved Deerfield Inn. We will not be back. I did give an average rating, as the food and service in Champney's was wonderful, and our room was very nice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Daphneanne, Owner at Deerfield Inn, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
So sorry you did not have a five-star stay. (We have fixed the tv programming problem - we discovered it had to be reset every time the zapper batteries are changed!) We hope you give us another chance as we usually hear nothing but fab things about Helen. She is so very disappointed she let you down. Please accept our most sincere apologies. The axiom is there can be no "off" days in the hospitality business, and we are all most profoundly saddened. :(
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here for our anniversary and our visit couldn't have been more perfect. The staff was warm and welcoming, and as a lovely surprise for us because it was a quiet night they graciously upgraded us to a fabulous king room. Nice surprises included a Yankee Candle car freshener to take home, little cookies in the room to have with tea, and a free pass to the homes that are part of the Historic Deerfield museum tour.

Everyone we met at the inn (owners included) was kind and genuine, and we absolutely felt like valued guests. The restaurant was excellent, our cocktails were perfect, and we had a wonderful time. This is a jewel in Historic Deerfield!

Room Tip: Room 141 has a spectacular shower which includes two showerheads for two people!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Daphneanne, Owner at Deerfield Inn, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
We are so glad that you had a happy celebration of your time together. We wish you many more years of happiness, and thank you for being so dear as to write down your thoughts about your stay here. Glad you liked the "romance shower"! xo from us all
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The staff are welcome and warm, the bed was extremely comfortable, and the water pressure for the shower was great. If I were to return, I would definitely rent a room at the Deerfield Inn. As an added bonus, the Inn features a well stocked pub with friendly staff featuring a variety of local beverages and food sourced from local producers. This makes it a great stop for history buffs who have a bit of a 'foodie' side. :D

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank underscorefunk
Daphneanne, Owner at Deerfield Inn, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
A foodie historian - what fun! Those passions must open up a world of interesting exploration! Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to write a review. I sometimes can't find the words to express how grateful and touched we are that our guests have made that effort for us. Thank you!
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We just returned from the inn and had a great time. The inn is beautiful, food was delicious and the staff was warm and friendly. The location. Is central to Old Deerfield and the free subscription to the houses was a nice surprise.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 421Sally
Daphneanne, Owner at Deerfield Inn, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
We love that you had a wonderful trip. It makes us all so happy to have been a part of it. Many, many thanks!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I can only agree with all the excellent reviews of this Inn and previous remarks about the warmly welcoming staff, attentive (but not intrusive) care, and the Inn's comforts. I particularly enjoyed the peace and quiet of Historic Deerfield in its almost country-like setting; it insured a very good night's sleep. I liked the fact that the windows open (so rare these days in bigger hotels) and that each room has its own heating/cooling/off control, which makes a big difference to sleeping comfort. The food was excellent, too (I had breakfast, lunch, and dinner, so was able to sample the local products at every meal and the very good local beer at dinner). A big thumbs up! Enjoy the river walk.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 678MaryP678
Daphneanne, Owner at Deerfield Inn, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your warm and caring comments. We are all so happy you enjoyed your visit and took time to write about your experience. Don't be a stranger!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deerfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Greenfield
#1 of 3 in Amherst
Fairfield Inn & Suites Springfield Northampton/Amherst
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst
Courtyard Hadley Amherst

Been to Deerfield Inn? Share your experiences!