“Clean, comfortable - but nothing special”

Holiday Inn Boston-Dedham Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Dedham
Monterey, CA
“Clean, comfortable - but nothing special”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We are members of Holiday Inn so we frequent many locations. This hotel was very clean and convenient for our family vacation. The bathroom layout is not ideal. And breakfast was horrible - considering you get better for free at Holiday Inn Express locations! Do yourself a favor and visit Whole Foods across the street for easy, affordable, fast breakfast. The location and convenience to Whole Foods was the most positive part - it was the largest Whole Foods I had ever seen. As Priority Members - we never received information about access to internet. Would have liked a minifridge for convenience (travelling with small children).

TV reception was always fuzzy - unfortunate with such nice television sets. Believe it is their satellite.

Overall okay visit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Dedham Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear LJBmonterey,

Thank you so much for being one of our Priority Club members and for your review of our hotel. We are pleased you found our location clean and convenient for your family vacation. We are sorry you were not 100% satisfied with the hotel staff service, hotel amenities and food options. I truly value your comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 10, 2012

My husband and I had to take a last minute trip to Boston, so we decided to pay for our room using our Priority Club points. First off, at no time during our 4 night stay did we feel like the PLATINUM Priority Club members that we are. The hotel is dated. I had requested a room away from the elevator and we were put in room 724 RIGHT next to the elevator. The room and bathroom are tiny. The toilet hardly flushed. Horrible water pressure in the shower. Old soap bars stuck to the ledge of the tub. And the CARPETS... I cant believe they would put someone in a room wih carpets this FILTHY. Stains everywhere you put your foot down. Absolutely disgusting. I cant believe anyone would PAY over $100 to stay in this hotel... We would not have stayed in this hotel if it wasnt super convenient for my husband's business. What a waste of our priority club points that we have been waiting to use!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Dedham Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear Rachel T,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHG Care
New York
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Excellent property location across the street from an upscale shopping center, including a very nice Whole Foods. Another plus: the sink was located inside the bathroom--a rare pleasure.

Main drawbacks: lack of mini-fridge, awkward building layout (room was a long way from main entrance). Other minor drawbacks: not quite enough drawer space, slightly worn fixtures.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I stayed here for the night of my bachelorette party with my mom. We just had our nails done and grabbed dinner across the street at Legacy Place, so we just wanted a place to crash without making the drive back home that night. For what we needed it for it, it was pretty much fine. I think with the AAA discount it was $99 for the night, which is reasonable considering that it is a location right off the highway, and Dedham really is just outside of Boston-proper. Being convenient to Legacy Place is also great, there are tons of shops, fantastic restaurants, a movie theater, and Kings bowling. Parking is free and easy at this hotel.

The staff in lobby was nice and polite, no complaints with check-in or check-out. They also had the most delicious chocolate chip cookies in the lobby (the chocolate was even a little melty-warm!), plus ice water with lemon and some decent fruit that was free for the taking. It’s a very small lobby, and overall the hotel is a bit small and dingy. We were just around the corner from the elevators and it was a bit loud as we constantly could hear people in the hallway (I think we could hear people inside their rooms as well, although I’m not sure). Perhaps our neighbors were just loud, but the cramped layout of the hotel makes it tough to get away from the action near the elevators. I also think I could hear kids at the pool from the 3rd floor… it was either that or there was a party with teenagers down the hall from us. I never called to complain as I was not in the room most of the night and passed out when I came back, so I’m not sure how the staff would have responded to a noise complaint.

It’s an older building from the looks of it, so while it was a little dingy, I wouldn’t say it was overly dirty. I felt comfortable sleeping in the bed and the bathroom didn’t bother me. I didn’t take a shower while there though. The rooms were small (ours had 2 full size beds) and the bathroom was even smaller (I mean seriously TINY and cramped!), but the beds were some of the more comfortable hotel beds I’ve stayed in. They also had “firm” and “soft” pillow choices with labeled tags, which I thought was awesome. The TV service was crap – they have satellite TV and it was fuzzy with a lousy channel lineup, and the TV was pretty small. There is a lot of clothing storage space for the size of the room though. It was about a thousand degrees in the room when we arrived, but it cooled quickly when we turned the heat off… although the “low” heat settings were not particularly “low” if you ask me. Pretty much the room temperature choices were “toasty,” “toastier,” and “cold.”

Overall, not a bad one-night stay, but I wasn’t overly impressed… nor was I disgusted. It’s really just an average hotel with a Boston price tag on it for the proximity to Boston and convenience to Legacy Place.

Room Tip: Stay as far away from the elevators and pool as possible if you are looking for a quiet room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
HIDedham, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Dedham Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete this review. I hope you had fun at your bachorette party. We have alot of responses that compliment the room design, but of course this is a personal preference. I'm sorry you felt the space was not to your liking. We have recently renovated and updated our interior and exterior, so I am somewhat confused by the "outdated" comment. We do, however, appreciate all of our guests feedback...both good and bad. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you again in the future.
New Hampshire Seacoast
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Stayed one night, meeting friends for dinner across the street at legacy place (within walking distance, a very luxurious outdoor mall). Was not greeted as a Priority member or offered my little bonus treat but was in too much of a hurry to notice till I just took the online survey HI sent me. Girl at front desk gave us wrong directions to our room that got us lost, another staff member was super nice and walked us around to the wing we were in (we never would have found it without her). Room was wonderful--fresh and clean, with a desk and a small loveseat. Bathroom was small but nicely done in chocolate marble tile. Pillows were oddly small but worked out OK, bed was comfy. TV worked better than most hotels we've visited, though some channels were fuzzy. Internet in the room worked fine--front desk neglected to tell us the password so we just guessed it might be "guest" and we were correct! My only 2 small complaints are (1) there was a very faint sewer smell coming from the bathroom sink... I only noticed it when putting on my makeup and standing there for a bit and (2) the parking lot is a little weird to figure out, I think they should have better clearer signage... it's located in a sort of maze of businesses. As a woman, I was a little creeped out walking back at night through the various business lots because it was dark and remote feeling but luckily I had hubby for an escort!

Room Tip: Ask to be in the tower.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. The difficulties you had with the one front desk agent were a training issue and that has been addressed. I was glad to hear you like the room decor. Regarding the entrance to our hotel...the hotel was built quite a while ago and unfortunately, businesses were allowed to be built all around us. The result makes us somewhat landlocked and surrounded by other buildings. Some things cannot be helped and this is one of them. Calling the hotel ahead of time for directions is usually helpful as the desk agents know that finding the entrance to the hotel has been an issue. They are very good at guiding the guests into the property. Thank so much for staying with us and we hope to serve you in the future.
New Hampshire
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Along with the filthy carpets, the phone wasn't working at first, but they fixed that. The view from the window was of the dumpster......which was emptied at five in the morning, by a big truck with flashing lights!!! I thought the hotel was on fire! Somewhere in the hotel there is something that sounds like a foghorn, not loud, but definitely obnoxious, all night long!!!
The people who work there were very nice and friendly, but We won't stay there again. The restaurant loosely attached was Asian food and we don't like that. Almost impossible to eat anywhere else without taking the car and driving way out of the way!

Room Tip: find another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Clifton Park, New York, United States
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I have been staying at this Holiday Inn for 2 nights a week for the last 3 years. The General Manager Steve Carter and his staff have been GREAT. They really go out of there way to make me feel like I'm at home, seeing I am traveling quite frequently. They go above and beyond to make my experience here a Great 1 every time I come. The room is always ready and clean when I arrive. Thanks for all the hard work.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
HIDedham, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Dedham Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Thank you for being such a loyal customer and know that we truly appreciate your business. It is a genuine pleasure to treat all of our guests special and make them feel we are a home away from home. With many of our guests being frequent travelers, it is important that the time they spend with us be comfortable and that they enjoy an exceptional guest experience. We hope to serve you for many more years and love having you stay with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dedham
Hilton Boston Dedham