“Good for a room but not for its amenities/short-staffed”

Hilton Boston Dedham
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dedham
Reviewed February 9, 2010

My partner and I stayed for a wedding in August. The location is good, about 7-10minutes from a strip with a bunch of restaurants and some stores. The parking is free which is always a plus and the front desk staff is very curteous.

Checking in was quick and easy and the room was clean, big, and comfy. The bed was super comfortable and the amenities in the room was nice to find. The tv had a game console hook-up and was very easy to use.

There were some major control issues unfortunately and the stay left a bad taste in my mouth. First, my partner and I went to the bar one afternoon to grab a light lunch before the wedding and waited for nearly 15 minutes for the bartender. She never came back and we ended up going to that strip of restaurants. I think they were setting the bar up for a business luncheon with the way that the tables were set but there was no sign. (I work in hotels so I always try and look for things that normally guests will overlook or not care to look for). Then that evening there was a large party in the bar that went on until abour 3:00-3:30a, I had to call the desk to ask them to quiet them down. Now I was upset especially at this because the way the hotel was set up is that it is a very open bar, like a cafe, that is next to the front desk. If you're at the desk and look over, you can see everyone in the bar-its that open. Now, with that said and knowing how late it is with people trying to sleep, how is that you have to WAIT for someone to call to quiet a group at that hour? I suspect the agent was talking with them because they were just so obnoxious and loud. And my room didn't help either, if you walked out of my room and looked over the banister , you could see the bar and hear everything as it also echoed, not the best room or set up. The good thing is, however, within 5minutes the noise was gone and my partner and I could actually sleep.

The next morning, we tried their brunch. Overpriced is the first adjective that comes to mind and then sloppy. They were clearly short-staffed and the food was bland, nothing special to say about it. The chef who brought out the pans was kind and accepted my egg order and brought it to my table himself. The brunch was just not worth the money and the dinning room was filthy. Dirty tables and trash everywhere. None of the on-duty servers were attentive either.

Checking out wasn't as lovely as checking in. The gentleman wasn't the same who checked me in and he was less pleassant. Didn't ask me how my stay was and was pretty cocky when he spoke to me when I asked him if I had to sign anything. He just further aggravted me after the brunch.

In the end, the room was nice and comfy minus the room location but I won't stay here again, not even if the rate was better than other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)

Reviewed December 27, 2009

My boyfriend and I have stayed at this hotel for the past two years when visiting family over the Christmas holiday. The rooms are a good size, everything is very clean, and the service is terrific (even during a time when, perhaps, the regular staff has time off). Check in and out is so smooth, everyone is very friendly and attentive, and the overall experience is very good.

The location is really great - right off the highway and not far from many destinations. Dedham has recently built a new shopping area called "Legacy Place" which has lots of shopping and dining options, and a very nice new movie theater. It's only one half-mile exit away on the highway.

Each year we use the fitness center, which for a hotel gym, is very large with lots of different cardio machines (treadmills, ellipticals, bikes and even an erg), as well as universal machines and free weights. The hotel also has a swimming pool and spa, and even two racquetball courts. We’ve eaten in the restaurant and bar a couple of times, and the food and service have always been good.

Other reviewers have noted that noise from the common areas can be heard from the rooms. Our room was located right next to a stairwell and we never had any problems with noise. However, the hotel is usually not very full over the holiday and we were far from the elevators and open atrium area, so that could have helped with the peacefulness.

We have always enjoyed the Dedham Hilton and will continue to stay at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OrangeSquirrel
Reviewed November 18, 2009

The lobby and lobby bar of the hotel are designed in an open space format that reaches the fourth floor. The consequence of this is that all of the noise from the common areas is channeled directly at the rooms located in the center of the hotel. Do not accept a room anywhere near the elevators otherwise you might as well have the hotel bar for your room.

The hotel common areas are starting to show wear and tear and are in need of an update. The room itself was acceptable and comfortably appointed; however, the hotel uses fluorescent bulbs which do not produce a great deal of light; therefore, the room was very dark.

My stay was on a Friday night and the hotel had booked at least two large groups. Unfortunately the staffing required to service this number of guests was not to be found. The only dining option was in an overcrowded bar as the dining room was closed. The effort to service the throng in the bar compromised the staff’s ability to maintain basic housekeeping standards as evidenced by the presence of food and litter on the carpet. It was cleaned overnight; however, it was not a pleasant dining venue.

Breakfast service was attentive although the buffet itself was basic.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
ddhdh, Manager at Hilton Boston Dedham, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on the hotel. We spend many hours reviewing all of our guests’ comments and concerns and I promise that our management team has reviewed your comments and action plans have been created so that we may make improvements on the deficiencies that you have experienced. Again thank you for your time and I hope that we may have the opportunity to perfect your next stay with us.

Reviewed November 4, 2009

Had a room on the fourth floor. Wooden doors conducted all the hall noise into the room. People going up and down the hall until five in the morning, slamming doors, loud talking etc. One elevator out of service. Clock was locked so you could not correct time for standard time off of daylight time. No radio unless you had an ipod. Equipment which could be used to drowned out noise did not work. Bed was comfortable and room furniture and decor was nice. Bath products excellent. Front desk person at check-in was not real friendly, rather abrupt when asked questions.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
ddhdh, manager at Hilton Boston Dedham, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on the hotel. We spend many hours reviewing all of our guests’ comments and concerns and I promise that our management team has reviewed your comments and action plans have been created. I have personally inspected every room making sure that all clocks and radios are working properly so that any other valued guest does not experience similar problems that you have shared with us. Again thank you for your time and I hope that we may have the opportunity to extend a Hilton welcome the next time you are in the Boston area.

Reviewed September 27, 2009

I was traveling to Needham for a week of business classes and needed a hotel with a good gym and preferably a Hilton to earn HHonors points. I chose this hotel because of the fitness center and location -- it turned out to be a decent choice. It has some of the features that you would expect at a Hilton and some that you don't, but overall a good choice for business travel. The fitness center is probably one of the better offerings you'll find at a hotel anywhere -- it has free weights and several cardio machines. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are spacious. Staff is EXCELLENT, very helpful and courteous. The breakfast buffet is one you'd expect at a Hilton -- delicious with excellent staff. The new Legacy Place mall is just 2 minutes away complete with a Whole Foods Market and a brand new theater. Downsides: hotel offers smoking on the first floor and many parts of the building are antiquated: pool, elevators, tennis courts are a joke: the fence is falling down and grass is growing in the court cracks.
Recommendations for travelers:
1. Request a room on 3 or 4, especially if you are traveling on business. There are a lot of weddings and events that could disturb you late at night if you are staying on the 2nd floor. Also request that no one but other business travelers be placed in adjoining rooms. I had a horrible experience on a Monday night when another guest came to the adjoining room at 2am and began talking loudly and playing music.
2. Avoid the elevator since it often breaks and is extremely antiquated -- the stairs are a much better option.
3. Opt for the "bed and breakfast" rate with Hilton to get your buffet certificate.
Recommendations for the hotel:
1. Convert this hotel into non-smoking. The fact that you have a fitness center, racquetball courts, a pool and hot tub on the 1st floor coupled with the fact that the 1st floor is the only smoking floor in the hotel is just ridiculous. No one wants to use those amenities and have to inhale cigarette smoke at the same time.
2. Identify people that are solo business travelers and keep other guests out of their adjoining rooms.
3. Offer complimentary high-speed internet in the rooms. Do we really have to keep asking for this, especially at a Hilton?

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on the hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed the health club and found our rooms extremely comfortable. I am also happy that you shared your comments with us concerning areas of improvements. Our management team spends many hours reviewing our valued customer comments and action plans are created to make sure we correct any deficiencies that you may have experienced. I hope that your travels bring you back to the Boston area in the near future and thank you for choosing Hilton.

Reviewed September 21, 2009

I've stayed in this hotel a handful of times on business trips. Overall it is average. On my last stay, I was extremely disappointed with the service in the restaurant. I came for breakfast at 8 AM. A hostess seated me. I was not offered a menu, but one was given to me when I asked. I then sat for 230 2 minutes without a single staff person speaking to me or making eye contact with me. The restaurant features a buffet, and I suppose the staff assumes that patrons will choose it. In my case, I really wanted to order off the menu, but after 15 minutes I gave up and chose the buffet because I was running out of time to get to my first meeting. I did notice that the restaurant staff seemed to have time to chat among themselves, so I don't think they were short-staffed, just inattentive. I was not asked if I wanted to order, I was not offered water, and my check was not brought until I flagged down a staff person and requested it.

Usually half an hour is more than enough time to get a good breakfast in a hotel restaurant. At the Hilton Dedham it was just enough time for a dose of aggravation. The restaurant experience marred what was otherwise an acceptable stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank OaklandJeff

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on the hotel. Anytime we receive positive or negative comments, our management teams uses the information for additional training with the staff. The information that you provide will help us in creating a better team and provide superior service for our next guest. Again thank you for your time and I hope that we may have the opportunity to extend a Hilton welcome the next time you are in the Boston area.

Reviewed August 16, 2009

Stayed here after seeing a concert at Gillette Stadium. It was a little hard to find, but once we got there, it was great. Good service from the front desk. Enjoyed the room, comfy and spacious too. Was a little disappointed that I had to pay extra for wireless internet, but at least the parking was free. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank cshepNashville_TN
EllenCallas_GM, General Manager at Hilton Boston Dedham, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on trip advisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. We are an ideal location for travellers going to the stadium and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. I am also pleased that you found your room very comfortable and our front desk team especially friendly.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share you experience.

Regards,

Ellen Callas

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dedham
Holiday Inn Boston-Dedham Hotel & Conference Center
Hampton Inn Boston-Norwood
Fairfield Inn Boston Dedham
Residence Inn Boston Dedham
Courtyard by Marriott Boston Dedham/Westwood
Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston/Canton, MA

Been to Hilton Boston Dedham? Share your experiences!