“Scallops”

Dining options: Reservations
NJ
“Scallops”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Recently visited this restaurant. Very nice atmosphere. Had the pan seared scallops over risotto. They were nicely done. Also had the clam chowder which was full of tender clams.

Hostess and server were friendly which always contributes to a good meal.

Only negative was the cost.

1 Thank Calltest

Medford, New Jersey
“Thyme Time”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I went to Isabella restaurant based on reviews on Trip Advisor.

It is a nice place with subdued lighting. The service was efficient and gracious.

I ordered a Frisse Salad which was a $10/plate special and the Pork Chop with Duck Sausage.

The Frisse Salad should have come with the meal as it wasn't anything "special" and clearly not worth $10. I wasn't familiar with Frisse but here is the description of it from an internet site:

"Frisee is a type of chicory that has exploded onto gourmet plates. The exotic plant resembles a lettuce gone horribly awry, with a pale green explosion of frizzy leaves that adds a frisky note to green salads. Some consumers are radically opposed to frisee, while others adore the bitter and sometimes woody green."

Maybe it's ok to add some of it to a salad, but this was a plate of bramble bush. Count me as a customer who should not have ordered it because it's like eating tumbleweed; I should have brought my weed-wacker to cut it. Besides, I was only able to find 2 specks of Gorganzola cheese which clearly was highlighted in the restaurant description of the salad.

The pork itself, was a lean, cooked just right, large portion. The problem was it was cooked with a thyme sauce which greatly overpowered the pork and I found myself forcing to finish it, which I could not. After finishing with the meal, I told the waitress to pass on my comment to the chef (who is visable at the open grill) but I didn't see her say anything to him. I can only conclude one of three possibilities:

1. the sauce is pre-made, which is not indicative of good cooking
2. she was afraid to tell the chef because he might be one of those cooks who doesn't want to be told anything. (If that's the case, he can make it and eat it himself)
3. It's not my job and I don't care.

The duck sausage was very good.

The bottom line - skip the Frisse (it is just an extra to make $10) and unless you love thyme, don't order the pork. In general, ask how the entree is cooked, what sauces and what spices.
Also, if you can find out which is the correct reasons for not telling the chef, let me know.

This is an expensive restaurant. I will try others before returning.

1 Thank MrSands2422
Dedham, Ma
“You don't have to go to Legacy Place...”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I went to Isabella with my 8 year old daughter for "daddy date night", and we had a great dining experience there. Amy our waitress and Julie the manager were really helpful and friendly. The Mussels with a thai sauce were out of this world, and the crab cakes were better than the ones I have had numerous times at Legal.

1 Thank cashmandoo
Dedham
“Board meeting luncheon”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We were a group of 14 that arrived separately over a 45 minute period. The staff was gracious and patient with our staggered arrivals. Our server was efficient and very attentive. Everyone enjoyed their luncheon selections.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank MJDBoston
Boston, Massachusetts
“Have eaten here several times”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Excellent food across the whole menu. My wife and I are very diverse as far as pallets when we eat out. I typically am a beef or fish person and she a chicken person,so very rarely do we order similar appetizer's or entree's. Everything that we have tried across the menu, including specials, has been well prepared, well proportioned, and tasty. You really can't go wrong with anything.

My only knock on this restaurant is the bar. While it does have a full bar with good to excellent wine/drink selections, it does not have any beer on draft, just bottled. Not looking for an extensive selection, but a few "crafty" or local beers,could be done. This not a peeve of mine with Isabella specifically, but many of the better local eateries in the area. If you going to have a dedicated bar, with staff, have draft beer on tap. However,they do have some nice bottled beer selections.

Price wise, with my last visit, food + tax was ~$140 for 3 people, which included 3 entrees, 3 alcoholic drinks, 3 appetizers, and two desserts. Price wise, although not inexpensive, not outrageous for the quality and amount we got.

Highly recommend for a nice night out for higher end date, nice dinner out for a couple, or special family evening.

• Visited January 2013