“A little different Courtyard” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Boston Danvers

Courtyard Boston Danvers
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Danvers
Ashburn, Virginia
“A little different Courtyard”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

This Courtyard is in a colonial style building close to shopping and restaurants in Danvers. The staff was friendly, rooms were clean but basic (no frills). The room I had was extremely quite but I would guess most rooms at this hotel are quite as it is set far away from any busy roads. Well Courtyard Danvers I will be sure to stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jennifer B, General Manager at Courtyard Boston Danvers, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you very much for your time and review. I am happy you enjoyed your visit with us. I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back on your next trip.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Clean comfortable room - although my door stuck and it took me a while to get it open, minor problem. When I told the front desk staff they were apologetic. I wouldn't bother with the "restaurant" fast food really. Plenty of restaurants in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jennifer B, General Manager at Courtyard Boston Danvers, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. I appreciate your kind comments. I am glad the front desk was able to address the issue with the door and I am sorry that was not handled prior to your arrival.
We have received great comments on The Bistro and the menu does change each quarter. Our location has many restaurant choices but I hope you will give us a chance to impress you in The Bistro the next time you are in the area. Thank you again!
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

I used Marriott points to stay for two nights while attending a family event in Marblehead. It's not really that close to Marblehead, but there aren't too many other hotel choices in the area. For some reason, the hotels location on GPS doesn't match its actual one, so you'll need to continue on the service road towards the Home Depot to find it. The hotel itself is clean and comfortable and the staff was very cordial and helpful. I would recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank BR51
Jennifer B, General Manager at Courtyard Boston Danvers, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments. Our guest experience is our main goal and I appreciate you taking the time to write about yours. I am sorry about the GPS confusion and I have added directions to our website to assist with that. I hope your family event was a success and I hope to welcome you back again soon.
Washington DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is attractive from the outside and in, and the rooms are quite clean and fairly roomy. While all of these factors are probably the most important, they won't be what I'll remember once I'm gone. Instead I'll remember that the breakfast is not included - a fairly standard practice in this class of hotel - that I had to pay for coffee that was brought out from some back room, and most annoyingly that my family was placed directly next to a large group that spent the evening running back from room to room in spite of the fact that I asked for a quiet room away from noise (there were about 10 cars in the lot during my holiday stay).

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank DaJoos
Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

We're Marriott regulars (business and pleasure) and were really disappointed in this property. Before I get to the negatives, though, we want to mention a positive. Dottie at the front desk was warm and welcoming and very helpful. She's a big plus for this property.

Now, the negatives (where do we start):

* Though I did get an email from the hotel after I booked telling me their elevator was out of service for 6 weeks, it should be noted on their web site.

- After settling in our room, and ordering dinner to be delivered from a local restaurant, we went down to the lobby to order a drink at the bar while waiting for our food to arrive. The young man at the cafe/bar was NOT welcoming in his demeanor. Almost felt like we were bothering him being there. I ordered bourbon on the rocks and was shocked when he told me the drink cost over $12. When I asked him for an explanation he said the bourbon was $8.75 but the ice (AKA "rocks") were $3 extra. Needless to say I was incredulous. I said to him "You're telling me that you charge for ice"? and he said "Yes". When I restated my question and said "So, if I ordered the bourbon and took the drink to my room where I could add ice I would pay $8.75". He said "Yes". Still incredulous, I said "That can't be right". He turned the computer toward me and showed me my itemized bill and said "see, it says rocks are $3". I asked to see the night manager who came over and confirmed the bill. She said, "When you get a drink like bourbon on the rocks we pour more bourbon than if you didn't get ice". I have never heard of such a thing and - if this is a Marriott policy - the hotel staff should be required to state this before ringing a customer out.

My wife ordered a gin and tonic with limes and the server disappeared for what seemed like a long time. The night manager finally told us they had no limes and asked if we would like lemon slices. OK, no limes but, sure, we'll take lemons. In a while the original server came out with some sliced lemon wedges and asked "do you want me to just dump them in the glass?". Not the description we're used to. Strange.

• After sorting this all out I went and sat with my wife in front of the fireplace (it was COLD winter night). The fire was not burning so we asked the new person at the front desk (Dottie had gone home for the day) if they could turn it on and the young lady had no idea how this was done. But, she said she would check. After a while the night manager came over and said that the fireplace was out of order. Huh? I asked her about it and she said that it needed a new part and it had been ordered a while ago. She wasn't sure when it would be fixed. By the way, the fireplace area had dust all over. Clearly hadn't been cleaned for a long time. Oh well.

• We had a decent night's sleep on a decent bed and looked forward to a good hot shower the next morning. Not happening. The water pressure went from normal to dribble and the hot water went from hot to lukewarm. Not good.

NOTE: Not sure the hotel can be held responsible for the difficulty we had finding this Courtyard Marriott. Our GPS kept telling us to get off at an exit which had us going in circles. Turns out (accruing to people at the front desk) that there has apparently been some highway reconstruction that changes how you get to the property, which by the way is located behind a mall. Probably would be a good idea for the hotel web site to make this clear…

We won't be back, nor will we recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: We were in room 301 next to elevator. Since elevators were out of service, there wasn't a noise...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank smalltowns

Travelers are raving about these Danvers hotels

Longwood, Florida, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here to participate in the Halloween celebrations in Salem. We had two rooms and the beds were comfortable. The water was hot and strong.

My only issue lies in the location. Danvers has a strange layout of highways that makes you constantly circle the whole town if you need to go the opposite direction. There is no opportunity to change directions with the highways. It was odd.

Nearby there is an excellent bagel place, World of Bagels, I think. We enjoyed the breakfast there. There wasn't a complimentary breakfast at this location.

The bar situation was even stranger. I think I threw the employee for a loop asking for a Starbucks Mocha Latte with Bailey's liquor. He had to call over the manager. I just changed it to a Cosmo, which was equally as baffling for him. At one point he became rude with another patron who was trying to order drinks or he and his wife. He required everyone to "come to him" and show him their ID, while watching a baseball game. The patrons were not please. His attitude about the request was the problem, not the actual request.

I don't think I would stay here again because the location is inconvenient, but the rooms were up to par.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa F
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

We did a college visit in Salem and I was very happy with our select of the Courtyard Marriot. Even though it was one night the stay was great. Clean rooms, great staff members; helped with different directions; and very convenient to the North shore Mall, which my wife and daughter loved. The elevators were under maintenances but they did a great job acuminated us. We will come again, thank you.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Danvers
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore
No photo provided
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
North Shore Hotel
North Shore Hotel
#2 of 9 in Danvers
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
TownePlace Suites Boston North Shore/Danvers

Been to Courtyard Boston Danvers? Share your experiences!