“Where's the beef?”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Danvers
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed at this hotel while attending a major two and half day scuba seminar attended by hundreds of people from around the globe. Scientists, Film makers, national organizations and many others attend this annual event. Year after year this hotel falls flat on its face when on Saturday evening after attending meetings all day and wishing to get a good meal, this hotel closes its large restaurant and leaves its guests to wait for hours to grab a dinner at its bar.The days activities are followed in the evening by a premier film festival and time is short between the days events and the film festival. Year after year this hotel closes a large restaurant and has its guests either not have dinner wait hours to grab a burger and miss the evening event. The management shows no regard for the attendees of this show and they do it each year. Do not hold and conventions or events at this hotel unless your attendees have hours to travel off site to eat dinner. Very poor planning by the management.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
DTBOS_Mgr, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Hank, we appreciate your feedback, which I have reviewed with our Food & Beverage Director and Conference Service team. We understand your time is valuable. To be fair, there are numerous restaurant and fast-food options just up the road on Route 1 which our Concierge would gladly recommend if you needed a quick bite nearby. But of course our first priority should always be to provide excellent food and timely service on property. We are certainly taking attendees' feedback like yours into account as we plan to best serve your group next year. Thank you for the opportunity.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,318)

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Booked the hotel for the sole purpose of the water park. after checking in I realized the room I got was not the room I booked. I booked 1 king sized bed and 2 twin and got 2 double beds. When I complained to the front desk there was nothing they could do for me being that the hotel was fully booked and the cost for the rooms were the "same". So my 10 year old had to share a bed with his 2 year old brother. The food in the water park was not good and the room service we ordered was very expensive and was also bad. Next time I would just go for the day and not stay at the hotel. Not worth the money.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Lisandra, thank you for your feedback. We are sorry about the confusion regarding your room type. As you encountered, we sold out of Family Rooms and thus you were booked in a Double room. We are sorry to hear that you did not find the value and quality of our food to your liking. Did you voice your concerns to a manager? We aim to provide a positive experience for our guests throughout their stay and to address any issues while they are still on property. If you have any further comments, please feel free to reach out to me.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

This is our 5th year staying overnight doing CoCo Key with our daughter for her March birthday. We always stay in early March. Our visit this year cost us a lot of money between the hotel room and tickets to the water park., along with the other costs you incur during a hotel stay. We expect if we are paying guests in a hotel to be treated with respect and hospitality. The hotel industry is founded on hospitality. I can honestly say that Mary who checked us into the hotel at the front desk on Saturday afternoon was the ONLY nice person from the hotel we interacted with during our stay. She was helpful and had a smile and interacted with our children. When I called to book my reservation I was told we had a deluxe suite with breakfast in the morning (we have had breakfast included every time we stay) however, once we were there we were told we did not have breakfast. We had to leave our time in the water park for about an hour to talk with several different people to get this resolved even being turned away once. Janet who was the manager on duty at the time was extremely rude and automatically on the defensive. We don’t expect to be treated like that as guests in your hotel. I understand you may deal with difficult demanding people all the time but we were not behaving in such a way. We were simply trying to get what we THOUGHT we already paid for. Obviously when you make a reservation you take into consideration what is included in the cost and we were told the breakfast was included as it always has been. When we did go down to breakfast, the hostess that was working at 9:30 met us with a scowl and halted us from entering the restaurant with her arm out and said curtly –“there is a 20 minute wait” we told her that was no problem and gave her our last name “Thomas” and told her we would be waiting nearby. When she called our name my husband had stepped away and she questioned me about what kind of breakfast I had included with my stay. She went on to say I was probably supposed to be at the waterpark for breakfast from 8:30 – 9:30 and when I told her I was sure it was at the restaurant (because we eat there every year) and reminded her it was already after 9:30 she said “Well I will just have to seat you in here and you will just have to pay” I allowed her to seat the 5 of us at a small table for 4 and when my husband arrived back and showed her we did actually have the breakfast for the restaurant, she changed her tone and was suddenly trying to be very accommodating. It was like she was 2 different people. Although the hotel may not have any control over the water park/coco key employees, it does reflect poorly on the hotel as the package is combined. The restaurant employees inside the park were beyond rude and unaccommodating. One kid swept the floor with plastic gloves on then went to make drinks for waiting customers with the same filthy gloves on. The employee manning the counter interacting with children inside the arcade was rude and sullen and was frustrated with the kids that they were taking too long to choose what prize they wanted with their coveted ticket points. And one female employee at the desk to the water park was rude and ignored us standing there asking her for towels. She was also sullen. Mario at the desk to the water park however was helpful and had a smile on his face each time we interacted with him. He was knowledgeable and helpful as expected when you are dealing with folks in the hospitality industry. It is disheartening to spend so much money each year to be treated any way other than we should expect to be treated as a loyal paying customer. We wanted to make you aware as of course a bad experience deters you from future stays. Gus & Denise Thomas

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Gus and Denise, thank you for selecting us year after year for your family's special stay. I am glad to hear you received the warm welcome you deserve. But it was disappointing to learn that your stay this year did not live up to expectations. Breakfast is only included in our "Ultimate" Water Park Package, and those guests do have breakfast in the water park. I apologize for the confusion and frustrations you encountered though. We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back once more. Our team has been put on alert about the issues you mentioned and you can bet it won't happen again.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Front desk staff and check-in was easy with friendly smiling agents that greeted me as HHonors guest - Great job! Warm cookies are always a plus!! HHonors floor had awful odor from elevator to my room. Bar & rest service was very slow. Rest & bar need more coverage when hotel has a large groups booked for convention and accommodations.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Kristi, I am happy to hear you received the warm welcome for which DoubleTree is famous. We appreciate your feedback, and your critiques, which we will share with our associates as we work to provide the best service and overall experience for our guests. It was our pleasure hosting your group and we look forward to providing an even better experience next time.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

My wife and I recently attended the Boston Sea Rovers conference at the DoubleTree Hilton. Everything was up to or exceeded our standards and we have no complaints. The room was clean, and with all the expected amenities. The staff was friendly and helpful. We had a most enjoyable stay.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
DTBOS_Mgr, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Cindy, thanks so much for posting a review. Taking time from your busy schedule to share your experience is valued and appreciated. Our team is delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to hosting your group again!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My only complaint was that we had the water package and when we checked in on friday afternoon the main swimming pool area was closed and remained closed the whole evening until saturday. one of my childreen would only use that area so it was disappointing.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
DTBOS_Mgr, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Hi Gina, I apologize for the delayed response, but I did want to invite your family back for a return visit when our water park is fully open so that your children may experience all the fun that we have to offer. Please email nicki.bean@hilton.com with your address and we will gladly put complimentary return day passes in the mail to you...

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We were excited to give this hotel and CoCo Key a try. Despite doing a package deal, at check-in, the receptionist wasnt able to share any of the details or kids activities which was frustrating as we wanted to know how to plan the afternoon. CoCo Key was not clean and the water and air was freezing (even the hot tub). After speaking to the manager about this, I was told the air outside was too cold to regulate the temperature which from an engineering perspective seems like a glitch that should have been fixed if you are open in the middle of winter. My kids lips were blue as they went from pool to slide waiting. My husband and I wanted desperately to relax in the hot tub but it was luke warm and far from relaxing and instead FREEZING. The bar on Friday night had one bartendar and the wait for a cocktail exceeded 30 minutes which is hard to do when you are parenting 3 kids. The breakfast was overpriced for what was offered. The package included buffet but required us to eat in CoCo Key. At opening time the doors were grimy and unwashed from the night before and there was trash on the ground. Clearly they didnt prepare to welcome guests for a clean breakfast area. We basically paid $17 for cold cereal, muffins and juice. The eggs were inedible and there was no employee there to mind the kids that were reaching in to the buffet area with their hands. It was completely unsanitary. For the hundreds of $'s we paid for 24 hours of supposed fun and relaxation, I was highly disappointed and therefore we would not return.

1  Thank Tara R

Tara, thank you for your feedback. As a parent, I can understand that you save up your money and you build up your excitement when planning for a family getaway. We are saddened to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations. We truly apologize for the temperature issues during your recent visit. We have since resolved the issue and would like to welcome your family back for a return visit. Thank you in advance for giving us another chance to provide a fun and relaxing family retreat.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Danvers
Best Western Plus North Shore Hotel
Courtyard Boston Danvers
Boston Marriott Peabody
TownePlace Suites Boston North Shore/Danvers
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
Four Points by Sheraton Wakefield Boston Hotel & Conference Center

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore? Share your experiences!