DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Danvers
Medford, United States
“Average”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Our stay at this hotel was average. The staff was friendly enough but did not go out of their way to help me our luggage entering our leaving. The room was clean and comfortable. This location is still under some construction.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DTBOS_Mgr, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback; we have shared it with our leadership team and associates and will be more attentive to our guests’ needs in the future. We hope that you will stay with us again when you are next in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Massachusetts
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I checked in on August 18th and only spent one night. We went so the kids could enjoy the indoor water park as an "end of summer" treat. Booking was a little confusing. I signed up for the HHOnors with doubletree, which offered a discounted room, but I didn't realize the watermark entry was not included. It took several calls to customer service to work it out. That was annoying and eventually I got some service and was able to add the water park option for a small discount. The hotel is very nice on the inside, they were painting the outside at the time. Once there, staff was friendly and attentive. The food was ok, but expensive. The indoor water park was great!! Perfect for the family, esp. kids under 12. water does not go above 4ft, from what I saw. Lifeguards are young, but very attentive, they did their jobs well. This water park is year round, which is great for new englanders. I would return, maybe for just some day trips to the waterpark instead of the hundreds it cost to stay at the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback on you recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore. We are so glad that your family had such a fun time at our adjacent indoor water park – CoCo Key. Please accept our apologies for the confusion that you encountered during the booking process; not all of our guest rooms include entrance to the Water Park. We’re always happy to assist our guests through the booking process. Please don’t hesitate to call the hotel directly at (978) 777 2500 with questions. We look forward to your next visit!
Wareham, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was given a gift card for the Danvers Indoor Water park from my firefighter friends at work last Christmas. Finally after months of trying to find the time to go, I received an awesome internet deal to stay at the hotel; receive water park passes for the arrival night and all day following; 2 $20 arcade cards; and all you can eat breakfast buffet. My 12 year old son and I had a great time. Check in was prompt and courteous. The room was clean and inviting. The hotel is connected to the WaterPark where we were greeted with friendly staff as well. We were lucky the park was not crowded that night so we were able to spend a few hours there without waiting in lines for the tube tunnels. The next day, part of park was closed for repairs, but we were still able to ride the lazy river and do the tube tunnels although they did get some lines of people. We did not order dinner in time at the park (they must close up about 8:30) and the thought of sitting in wet bathing suits while we eat a meal was not so appealing to us. There was not a restaurant open in the hotel so we ended up ordering room service which was a bit pricey but worth every bite. Overall our trip was well worth it. We had a great time, good food, and a great nights sleep, and enjoyed the water park adventures as well.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DTBOS_Mgr, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
We are so glad that you and your son had such a fun time visiting DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore and CoCo Key Water Park! You’re right that our Ultimate Water Park Package, including overnight stay, two days of water park access, breakfast buffet and two $20 arcade cards is a great deal! We hope that you will visit us again soon!
Danvers, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed here recently as there was a large amount of rooms blocked off for a wedding we were attending. I say this to emphasize the large amount of money that this one wedding brought to this hotel. The staff didn't seem to understand this concept. The overall perception of this hotel was "poorly managed." Even someone in our party who is a hotel manager made that comment. Let me explain: Our type of room had to be booked over the phone, and not online, because we wanted the family suite. The person we had to speak to, Susan, was not very responsive at all, and took until the following week to contact me back. When she did, she was not overly friendly and acted as though I was an inconvenience to her day. If Susan fell off the face of the earth, I guess we wouldn't have been able to stay there, because time and time again (by the front desk and the 800 number) I was told that only Susan could book this room for us. I guess this power went to Susan's head. Luckily, I was put in contact with her boss, Sales Manager Peter. After leaving a message with him, Susan managed to call me back. So, I had a bad taste in my mouth from the very beginning. I've never had this much trouble with a Marriott property. When I arrived at the hotel, I noticed a massive piece of plastic covering part of the entrance-area facade. I was worried a chunk of concrete was going to nail me in the head if I walked to close to the cones they had set up. However, I understand hotels must renovate, especially one as old as this one, and didn't let it concern me. Once inside, I was given a pile of fresh cookies for the family which was a nice touch. The gentleman at the front desk was very courteous and so I thought the service was going to be good. I understand that other family members that arrived not long after that did not receive the "infamous" cookies as they were all out. Not a big deal to me, although it was to them, and just goes to show that yes, this hotel does indeed mess up on the simple stuff they are known for, like baking enough cookies. I understand this hotel recently underwent a multi-million dollar renovation, and the lobby area clearly shows this. However, they missed the boat on such things as new doorknobs, locks, and key-card entry points. I stayed in the Family Suite, and found a door off the stairwell nearest to my room where I could park and easily unload. Unfortunately, this door did not have a way to open it from the outside, which was evident by the large rock stored near the door. Any hotel built after 1999 would have a swiper where you could swipe your room key and gain access. But not this hotel. It has a rock. I'm not paying $200 a night for a rock, although I did so I guess the joke is on me. You're probably thinking its my fault for parking in this area, surely there must be a better place and I missed it. Not so -- this place is a maze, and the family suite section is very difficult to find, and even better -- HAS NO ELEVATOR. Really!?! Fine, so I have to lug my wife's monster suitcase up some steps -- I'm down for it, but at least make it so I don't have to prop your door open with a rock while some employee on a golf cart gives me the stink eye. And by the way, how often do you think that door gets propped open and forgotten, creating a safety/security issue, all because nobody has the foresight to say "hey, put a card swiper and handle on that door." Same thing at the indoor pool. It has a beautiful brick patio outside, but the doors have no handles to open them from the outside! It's almost as if they don't want you to use this patio. At night, they've disabled all of the exterior lights in that area in some weird attempt to keep people from enjoying that part of the facility. Fix the lights, put on some modern door handles so people don't get locked out, and unlock the doors during the day! This is not rocket science. As for the family suite, the twin beds were like toddler beds, which worked out fine for my young children. However, if I had a pair of 13-year-olds we would not have been happy. It was not well advertised just how small these beds are. I don't care about how the hotel managers reply to these TripAdvisor reviews, they DO NOT properly advertise how small these beds are, nor does Susan inform you when you call. This is clear by the countless other reviews on here where people complain about bed size. Next, we had complimentary tickets to the water park with our Family Suite, worked out with Sales Manager Peter as part of the wedding group rate. Except nobody understood this. We were denied access by the water park crew, and told we could get a discount on purchasing them. I said no, they are supposed to be free, other members of our group already got theirs, so we'll go to the front desk and sort this out. So we had to drag the disappointed children all the way to the front desk (not a quick trip). "Why won't they let us come to the water park, Daddy?" And yes, when your young children say that to you, you do begin to get upset. I was going in that water park come hell or high water. I would like to add that the water park has a front-desk area which would have made this easier, but they opt not to open that as they are not properly staffed to do so. So, they charge you an arm and a leg, but in return can't even open the facility to its maximum capabilities. Great idea. Now we know why the original owner of this hotel sold out to Hilton after letting the place go downhill. But I digress -- we go all the way to the front desk in our swimsuits and flip flops and are told by a friendly front desk associate that we could get 50% off on purchasing tickets. Luckily the woman standing next to her happened to know what was going on, and called the water park on our behalf and ordered the water park staff to let us in for free, comping the tickets with Sales Manager Peter's name "all over it." She had to argue with the water park people as the water park people didn't want to let us in for free. Talk about awkward and unnecessary for the customer to stand there with his kids as this goes down. Is this how the Hilton brand operates? It can't be. While I was there, I told the other person that my room safe was still locked shut, as it was when I arrived the day before. I had called the day before and was told someone would be "right up" which as you can imagine never happened. So for 50% of my stay, I was unable to secure my valuables in the advertised room safe. Think that got me 50% off my bill? No it didn't. Anyways we go back to the water park where the same people are now wearing an obnoxious grin and let us in. I know first hand that working with the public isn't always easy, but working at this water park counter isn't that hard, either! They could have offered to call the front desk and figure out what was going on so we didn't have to walk back and forth with young children, but they didn't. And I have reason to believe they knew we were supposed to have free access, but they didn't want to cooperate. And yes the water park is now separate from the Hilton-branded hotel (used to be owned by the same group), but lets get real here -- they advertise the water park as a reason to stay at their hotel. They rely on each other and for all intents and purposes they are indeed the same and shouldn't stick the customer in the middle of their lack of teamwork as if we were some crazy people plotting a free water park adventure. Don't get me wrong, the water park was pretty cool and fun for the kids, but there's no way I would pay $200/night at this hotel and then try to plot my way into the water park. It's just not worth my time and I'm not that hard up for an inside water park. I'm not that desperate for a good time. And yes the water park food was overpriced, so we ordered pizza in the room afterwards from a nearby restaurant. The restaurant breakfast buffet was quite expensive at $18, and the service was pretty slow. The downstairs bathroom, in a weird location off the "living room" area was disgusting and the toilet seat is lose and needs to be repaired. They waste energy by leaving both HVAC units in the living room area pumping A/C at 65 degrees 24/7. Important rooms such as mechanical rooms with the Fire Alarm system, plumbing system access, and electrical are unlocked. A curious 8-year old could wander in there and kill himself messing with a breaker panel. My experience tells me if they don't know to lock the door, then there is most definately some other safety hazards going on behind said door. Some had locks that weren't locked. Others had no locks. Either way this is a safety hazard and an auditor would have a field day. Fix it! After the wedding we attended ended, a large group of people went to the hotel bar. They had one bartender working and she was overwhelmed, clueless, and super slow. She literally had to search for each type of liquor. It was almost like I jumped behind the counter and was attempting to mix cocktails without having any training. So needless to say I was able to get 2 beers (barely). Another lady came in towards the end to help out, and suddenly it was last call and they shut down, citing some obviously inaccurate Massachusetts liquor laws. Clearly they just wanted to shut down and go home. "Oh no, customers! We gotta get them out of here!" If you want to shut down and go home, DON'T HAVE A GIANT BAR IN YOUR HOTEL! Take it out like the Marriott Perimeter Center Atlanta did if you don't want to deal with it (can you tell I visit a lot of hotels and this one is one of the worst I've encountered?). But if you have it, run it, and make some money! They literally didn't want to make money. I guess my $200/night is all they need? The worst part was that just a few minutes after the abrupt "last call" she made us get out. They literally pushed us out of the place and locked the door by 12:30 am. Really?!? Again, I'm paying $200/night here -- at least let me drink my beer in your little bar/lounge in peace. The hotel room itself was reasonably nice, although adding 2 tiny beds near the door and calling it a "family suite" isn't exactly accurate. In the end, this hotel has a lot of potential. However, there is a huge difference between "potential" and "Epic Failure." This hotel cost $200/night (including tax), for a total of $400 for the weekend wedding stay. The level of service, facilities, and overall effort did NOT warrant the cost. Like Lisa F said, this hotel is way overpriced. I would find another hotel in the area to stay at and would not stay here again. You can still go to the water park without staying in the DoubleTree hotel. In fact, I feel I should be given a partial refund or a free night's stay at another Hilton property for the level of incompetence and inconvenience I encountered while staying here. I plan on calling the 800 number soon and discussing this with them. Like I said, the place was poorly managed, plain and simply. Please do not respond to me with some form message thanking me for my valuable feedback and trying to explain yourself. I've read enough of those on here, and in the end, everyone knows its not sincere. Some people on here say this place was great, but after reading my epic review (I wouldn't waste this much time if this place was even remotely decent), and quite a few others that say similar things as mine, do you really want to risk it? No, you don't!

Room Tip: The Family Suites consist of 1 King bed (or 2 Double/Queen Beds) and 2 kiddie beds in a side area...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Please know that we really do appreciate your feedback and will use it to make improvements. We sincerely apologize for the challenges that you encountered in booking your stay and during your visit; we take our guests’ satisfaction very seriously and we are as disappointed as you are that we did not exceed your expectations. We are very sorry for the difficulty you faced in getting to your room from the outside as well as getting into the water park. Please let us also apologize for your experience in the Lounge. Per the town ordinance, last call is at 12:30 AM, but the Lounge is supposed to stay upon until 1 PM. We have addressed this with our leadership team and associates to ensure better communication on our part regarding these policies. Rest assured, we do use guest feedback to make improvements. We do hope that you will give us another chance when you are next in the area.
Lynn, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hotel has everything for the entire family to enjoy. There is a water park and an arcade where kids (and their parents too) can have fun. This reduces the number of people in the pool so singles and parents who are on their own can enjoy a leisure lap or sun out on the adjoining patio area. And this hotel is also pet friendly so vacationing family can bring the whole family including their furry four legged ones.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thanks for your great review of the DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore! We’re so glad that your family enjoyed your stay with us. You’re right: we are pet-friendly! We hope to see you whole family again soon!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here to drop off my daughter at a college in the area. The staff was incredibly friendly and very service-oriented. Our room was clean and well-appointed. The use of a health club on site was a huge bonus. The pool area was spacious and not like a typical small hotel pool. The wait-staff at breakfast went the extra mile, even getting me peppermint tea. I had heard that people in New England were much more reserved than in the Midwest; apparently the staff here does not subscribe to that view. Everyone really made us feel welcome. The biggest compliment I have is that we will be going back here whenever we're in town to visit my daughter.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We are so glad that you chose to stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore! We truly appreciate your high praise of our amenities and the service provided by our staff. We hope that you will visit your daughter very soon and that you will stay with us again when you do!
Danvers, United States
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Way over priced. The beds & linens were uncomfortable. The hotel was too noisy. The room wouldn't cool off. The staff were too uptight and the price was waaayyy to expensive. Not to mention I've stayed at cheaper places and have had better service and better rooms. I will never stay at a Hilton ever again.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DTBOS_Mgr, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We strive to provide exemplary service and we appreciate it when guests help us to pinpoint areas where we can improve. We apologize that our hotel did not exceed your expectations. We have shared your feedback with our leadership team and associates and will use it to improve our service. We do hope that you will give us another chance when you are next in the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Danvers
North Shore Hotel