“Disapointment from Start to Finish...”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Danvers
Danvers, Massachusetts
“Disapointment from Start to Finish...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed here recently as there was a large amount of rooms blocked off for a wedding we were attending. I say this to emphasize the large amount of money that this one wedding brought to this hotel. The staff didn't seem to understand this concept. The overall perception of this hotel was "poorly managed." Even someone in our party who is a hotel manager made that comment. Let me explain: Our type of room had to be booked over the phone, and not online, because we wanted the family suite. The person we had to speak to, Susan, was not very responsive at all, and took until the following week to contact me back. When she did, she was not overly friendly and acted as though I was an inconvenience to her day. If Susan fell off the face of the earth, I guess we wouldn't have been able to stay there, because time and time again (by the front desk and the 800 number) I was told that only Susan could book this room for us. I guess this power went to Susan's head. Luckily, I was put in contact with her boss, Sales Manager Peter. After leaving a message with him, Susan managed to call me back. So, I had a bad taste in my mouth from the very beginning. I've never had this much trouble with a Marriott property. When I arrived at the hotel, I noticed a massive piece of plastic covering part of the entrance-area facade. I was worried a chunk of concrete was going to nail me in the head if I walked to close to the cones they had set up. However, I understand hotels must renovate, especially one as old as this one, and didn't let it concern me. Once inside, I was given a pile of fresh cookies for the family which was a nice touch. The gentleman at the front desk was very courteous and so I thought the service was going to be good. I understand that other family members that arrived not long after that did not receive the "infamous" cookies as they were all out. Not a big deal to me, although it was to them, and just goes to show that yes, this hotel does indeed mess up on the simple stuff they are known for, like baking enough cookies. I understand this hotel recently underwent a multi-million dollar renovation, and the lobby area clearly shows this. However, they missed the boat on such things as new doorknobs, locks, and key-card entry points. I stayed in the Family Suite, and found a door off the stairwell nearest to my room where I could park and easily unload. Unfortunately, this door did not have a way to open it from the outside, which was evident by the large rock stored near the door. Any hotel built after 1999 would have a swiper where you could swipe your room key and gain access. But not this hotel. It has a rock. I'm not paying $200 a night for a rock, although I did so I guess the joke is on me. You're probably thinking its my fault for parking in this area, surely there must be a better place and I missed it. Not so -- this place is a maze, and the family suite section is very difficult to find, and even better -- HAS NO ELEVATOR. Really!?! Fine, so I have to lug my wife's monster suitcase up some steps -- I'm down for it, but at least make it so I don't have to prop your door open with a rock while some employee on a golf cart gives me the stink eye. And by the way, how often do you think that door gets propped open and forgotten, creating a safety/security issue, all because nobody has the foresight to say "hey, put a card swiper and handle on that door." Same thing at the indoor pool. It has a beautiful brick patio outside, but the doors have no handles to open them from the outside! It's almost as if they don't want you to use this patio. At night, they've disabled all of the exterior lights in that area in some weird attempt to keep people from enjoying that part of the facility. Fix the lights, put on some modern door handles so people don't get locked out, and unlock the doors during the day! This is not rocket science. As for the family suite, the twin beds were like toddler beds, which worked out fine for my young children. However, if I had a pair of 13-year-olds we would not have been happy. It was not well advertised just how small these beds are. I don't care about how the hotel managers reply to these TripAdvisor reviews, they DO NOT properly advertise how small these beds are, nor does Susan inform you when you call. This is clear by the countless other reviews on here where people complain about bed size. Next, we had complimentary tickets to the water park with our Family Suite, worked out with Sales Manager Peter as part of the wedding group rate. Except nobody understood this. We were denied access by the water park crew, and told we could get a discount on purchasing them. I said no, they are supposed to be free, other members of our group already got theirs, so we'll go to the front desk and sort this out. So we had to drag the disappointed children all the way to the front desk (not a quick trip). "Why won't they let us come to the water park, Daddy?" And yes, when your young children say that to you, you do begin to get upset. I was going in that water park come hell or high water. I would like to add that the water park has a front-desk area which would have made this easier, but they opt not to open that as they are not properly staffed to do so. So, they charge you an arm and a leg, but in return can't even open the facility to its maximum capabilities. Great idea. Now we know why the original owner of this hotel sold out to Hilton after letting the place go downhill. But I digress -- we go all the way to the front desk in our swimsuits and flip flops and are told by a friendly front desk associate that we could get 50% off on purchasing tickets. Luckily the woman standing next to her happened to know what was going on, and called the water park on our behalf and ordered the water park staff to let us in for free, comping the tickets with Sales Manager Peter's name "all over it." She had to argue with the water park people as the water park people didn't want to let us in for free. Talk about awkward and unnecessary for the customer to stand there with his kids as this goes down. Is this how the Hilton brand operates? It can't be. While I was there, I told the other person that my room safe was still locked shut, as it was when I arrived the day before. I had called the day before and was told someone would be "right up" which as you can imagine never happened. So for 50% of my stay, I was unable to secure my valuables in the advertised room safe. Think that got me 50% off my bill? No it didn't. Anyways we go back to the water park where the same people are now wearing an obnoxious grin and let us in. I know first hand that working with the public isn't always easy, but working at this water park counter isn't that hard, either! They could have offered to call the front desk and figure out what was going on so we didn't have to walk back and forth with young children, but they didn't. And I have reason to believe they knew we were supposed to have free access, but they didn't want to cooperate. And yes the water park is now separate from the Hilton-branded hotel (used to be owned by the same group), but lets get real here -- they advertise the water park as a reason to stay at their hotel. They rely on each other and for all intents and purposes they are indeed the same and shouldn't stick the customer in the middle of their lack of teamwork as if we were some crazy people plotting a free water park adventure. Don't get me wrong, the water park was pretty cool and fun for the kids, but there's no way I would pay $200/night at this hotel and then try to plot my way into the water park. It's just not worth my time and I'm not that hard up for an inside water park. I'm not that desperate for a good time. And yes the water park food was overpriced, so we ordered pizza in the room afterwards from a nearby restaurant. The restaurant breakfast buffet was quite expensive at $18, and the service was pretty slow. The downstairs bathroom, in a weird location off the "living room" area was disgusting and the toilet seat is lose and needs to be repaired. They waste energy by leaving both HVAC units in the living room area pumping A/C at 65 degrees 24/7. Important rooms such as mechanical rooms with the Fire Alarm system, plumbing system access, and electrical are unlocked. A curious 8-year old could wander in there and kill himself messing with a breaker panel. My experience tells me if they don't know to lock the door, then there is most definately some other safety hazards going on behind said door. Some had locks that weren't locked. Others had no locks. Either way this is a safety hazard and an auditor would have a field day. Fix it! After the wedding we attended ended, a large group of people went to the hotel bar. They had one bartender working and she was overwhelmed, clueless, and super slow. She literally had to search for each type of liquor. It was almost like I jumped behind the counter and was attempting to mix cocktails without having any training. So needless to say I was able to get 2 beers (barely). Another lady came in towards the end to help out, and suddenly it was last call and they shut down, citing some obviously inaccurate Massachusetts liquor laws. Clearly they just wanted to shut down and go home. "Oh no, customers! We gotta get them out of here!" If you want to shut down and go home, DON'T HAVE A GIANT BAR IN YOUR HOTEL! Take it out like the Marriott Perimeter Center Atlanta did if you don't want to deal with it (can you tell I visit a lot of hotels and this one is one of the worst I've encountered?). But if you have it, run it, and make some money! They literally didn't want to make money. I guess my $200/night is all they need? The worst part was that just a few minutes after the abrupt "last call" she made us get out. They literally pushed us out of the place and locked the door by 12:30 am. Really?!? Again, I'm paying $200/night here -- at least let me drink my beer in your little bar/lounge in peace. The hotel room itself was reasonably nice, although adding 2 tiny beds near the door and calling it a "family suite" isn't exactly accurate. In the end, this hotel has a lot of potential. However, there is a huge difference between "potential" and "Epic Failure." This hotel cost $200/night (including tax), for a total of $400 for the weekend wedding stay. The level of service, facilities, and overall effort did NOT warrant the cost. Like Lisa F said, this hotel is way overpriced. I would find another hotel in the area to stay at and would not stay here again. You can still go to the water park without staying in the DoubleTree hotel. In fact, I feel I should be given a partial refund or a free night's stay at another Hilton property for the level of incompetence and inconvenience I encountered while staying here. I plan on calling the 800 number soon and discussing this with them. Like I said, the place was poorly managed, plain and simply. Please do not respond to me with some form message thanking me for my valuable feedback and trying to explain yourself. I've read enough of those on here, and in the end, everyone knows its not sincere. Some people on here say this place was great, but after reading my epic review (I wouldn't waste this much time if this place was even remotely decent), and quite a few others that say similar things as mine, do you really want to risk it? No, you don't!

Room Tip: The Family Suites consist of 1 King bed (or 2 Double/Queen Beds) and 2 kiddie beds in a side area...
5 Thank ChiefTaunto
DTBOS_Mgr, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Please know that we really do appreciate your feedback and will use it to make improvements. We sincerely apologize for the challenges that you encountered in booking your stay and during your visit; we take our guests’ satisfaction very seriously and we are as disappointed as you are that we did not exceed your expectations. We are very sorry for the difficulty you faced in getting to your room from the outside as well as getting into the water park. Please let us also apologize for your experience in the Lounge. Per the town ordinance, last call is at 12:30 AM, but the Lounge is supposed to stay upon until 1 PM. We have addressed this with our leadership team and associates to ensure better communication on our part regarding these policies. Rest assured, we do use guest feedback to make improvements. We do hope that you will give us another chance when you are next in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Lynn, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hotel has everything for the entire family to enjoy. There is a water park and an arcade where kids (and their parents too) can have fun. This reduces the number of people in the pool so singles and parents who are on their own can enjoy a leisure lap or sun out on the adjoining patio area. And this hotel is also pet friendly so vacationing family can bring the whole family including their furry four legged ones.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thanks for your great review of the DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore! We’re so glad that your family enjoyed your stay with us. You’re right: we are pet-friendly! We hope to see you whole family again soon!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here to drop off my daughter at a college in the area. The staff was incredibly friendly and very service-oriented. Our room was clean and well-appointed. The use of a health club on site was a huge bonus. The pool area was spacious and not like a typical small hotel pool. The wait-staff at breakfast went the extra mile, even getting me peppermint tea. I had heard that people in New England were much more reserved than in the Midwest; apparently the staff here does not subscribe to that view. Everyone really made us feel welcome. The biggest compliment I have is that we will be going back here whenever we're in town to visit my daughter.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We are so glad that you chose to stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore! We truly appreciate your high praise of our amenities and the service provided by our staff. We hope that you will visit your daughter very soon and that you will stay with us again when you do!
Danvers, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Way over priced. The beds & linens were uncomfortable. The hotel was too noisy. The room wouldn't cool off. The staff were too uptight and the price was waaayyy to expensive. Not to mention I've stayed at cheaper places and have had better service and better rooms. I will never stay at a Hilton ever again.

4 Thank Lisa F
DTBOS_Mgr, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We strive to provide exemplary service and we appreciate it when guests help us to pinpoint areas where we can improve. We apologize that our hotel did not exceed your expectations. We have shared your feedback with our leadership team and associates and will use it to improve our service. We do hope that you will give us another chance when you are next in the area.
Nashua NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel so I would not have to travel back and forth for a weekend workshop I was taking nearby. The front desk clerk was very friendly and efficient, even though they were very busy. I loved my room on the 8th floor. It was beautifully decorated and the king sized bed was a dream to fall into after two very long days of classes. Both mornings it was a joy to take a shower in the walk-in shower, and the water was HOT! I very much appreciated that the hotel keeps the families to the lower floors while using the upper floors for the business travelers. Although I did not eat at the restaurant, I did relax in the lounge every night with a glass of wine. Furnishings were comfortable and the service was great. I would definitely recommend this hotel, and hope to have the opportunity to stay there again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank gssuzy
Thank you for your kind words about the DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore! We are so glad that we were able to make your weekend of training a little bit easier with our efficient staff, beautiful rooms, and comfortable Lounge. We hope to see you again soon!
Richmond, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel as part of a wedding group and received a discounted rate. I had never stayed at a DoubleTree before and had always heard good thing, but was shocked about the horrible service at this location. Its unfair to say that everyone provided poor service, b/c we received very good service from the front desk staff, and the bellman who drove us from the bus station. But when it came to reservations, and the restaurant/bar, the staff was pretty dreadful. In summary. The location of this place is terrible -- difficult to get to, and virtually around nothing so your limited in dining options. If you don't have a car, forget about this place. The hotel has a terrible layout, its a mismatch of two very old hotels, with a $15M renovation, and a poor reservation team which will put a group party scattered across the massive hotel and promise things they can't deliver to get your foot in the door (ex. free water park passes for a family of 4 upon check in). The bfast restaurant is very overpriced with poor to mediocre food quality, and the bar is also over priced ($6 per coors light), with bartenders incapable of serving drinks. The room quality is decent, the beds comfy, and the AC units work. However, given the age of the hotel, the walls are thin and there was always some kind of construction going on in the mornings. Needless to say, if I find myself in Peabody, MA ever again, I'll be staying somewhere else. For a more detailed review, keep on reading: Reservation: Within a week of the wedding group being established, myself, as well as numerous family members attempted to make a reservation, only to be denied the 'group rate' as well the preferred room. Keep in mind, this was about April for a 2 night stay in August, so plenty in advance. This took number of work arounds by the groom to get things straight. Upon arrival our bed wasn't ready, which was fine as we were early. But we weren't asked if we wanted any of the precious 'cookies' that they so pride themselves on. Breakfast: Basically its the hotel restaurant, and they expect you to get the $16 buffet. Now I've paid that much for a bfast buffet before, but its usually at top notch restaurants, at top hotels. This buffet was awful -- rubbery pancakes, sausage that has sat too long, no juice, no milk, except for cereal, etc. It was also very small, which is ridiculous b/c the hotel is MASSIVE. IF you want to buy bfast from the cheaper, a la cart menu, good luck. You're going to wait a while. When the food does come out, its basically plucked right off of the buffet by the waitress. So you're getting the same rubbery food that other people have handled..... Awesome. Bar: we visited the bar on several occassions. Each time, it was a terrible experience. The first visit was about 1p on a Saturday, as we were first to arrive of our group, our room wasn't ready, we didn't have a car, and the hotel is in the middle of nowhere. So we had lunch at the bar. The sandwiches were actually quite excellent. However, the bar was over-priced, and the bartender seemed to care more about stocking beer in the fridge than tending to customers (ie. us b/c we were the only two people in the place). Additionally, all the beer taps were broken or unstocked, and the bar tender had NO clue what types of beer he had in the fridge (despite stocking it). He seemed shocked that I asked for a Sam's Summer Ale, which is is hilarious given this place is 20min from Boston. He also seemed shocked when he actually found the Sam's Summer in the fridge. Later that night we came back, and I requested a Sam's summer Ale only to be shut down by the new bartender. Hilarious, b/c I knew they had it, I told her so, and even told her which fridge to get it from. She denied seeing it and I was forced to pay a rather steep $6 for a Coors Light (as I didn't like the other options). The next evening we came back with the wedding group. There was about 30-50people in this bar and only 2 bar tenders. While I understand its a lot of people for 2 bar tenders to serve, it still shouldn't take 5 mintues, from the time of ordering a bottled beer, to the time I receive it. That doesn't include the 15minute wait leading up to that point. Its really not that hard.... I almost jumped back there myself to help out and make a few bucks in tips. Then at 12:45am (a pretty random time), we were all ejected from the bar. We were told, "you dont have to finish your drinks, but you must leave." There was no warning, just a nice 'get out.' Pretty bad that they would do that to this group considering they brought in substantial money for the hotel via reservations, breakfast, and the bar. Sorry Get out. Gee thanks. Another straw was when the Groom asked for a 1 or 2pm check out (normal check out is 11am) on a Monday morning. He was denied. I really have to wonder why in the Hell you would deny that request, again, considering how much money he brought to this craptastic hotel. I myself, spent close to $500 just for two nights, 1.5 days. It would've been more had your bartenders been more attentive/capable of serving drinks, and had an entire bar full of people not get randomly shut out. Hotel itself: The lobby is very nice, new and modern. The layout of this hotel is very strange. Its almost like they pieced together an old 2 story hotel with a newer high-rise and the two didn't gel together very well. There are family-rooms over in the 2 story wing, which are impossible to get to/from in a timely manner. Bringing luggage into that area of the hotel is near impossible given a lack of logical entrances, and we say a lot of people propping open fire doors with rocks or bricks (real safe!). Additionally, given the ancientness of the hotel, there's various construction projects going on. Each morning we heard, what sounded like a hammer drill going into the side of the building at 6am. Very odd. We were on the 3rd floor, and the 2nd floor is all conference space, which was empty during our stay. So I had a very hard time figuring out what the noise actually was. But it started around 6am, and would come and go throughout the rest of the day -- a loud, vibrating noise. The hotel also advertises a pool on its website. However, once you get to the hotel, finding the pool is like finding a gas turbine engine in an electric car. Its tucked in the way back, by the health spa, with no signage in the hotel. Once you get there, its a weird set up with a 'secret' outdoor patio that's difficult to get to/from. Bottom line: nice lobby, nice rooms, awful hotel layout, awful service when it comes to the bar, restaurant and reservations for large groups. Front desk staff is pretty good, and did a good job of mitigating further service damage.

2 Thank TaurusSaurus
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback as it gives us the opportunity to improve our service. We’re very sorry to read about your challenges with the reservation process, disappointment with the restaurant and lounge. Rest assured, your concerns have been shared with our leadership team and associates. We hope that you will give us another chance when you are next in the area.
Waterford, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

As I checked in, Michelle helped me. As I had suffered a momentary lapse of reason when booking, I'd blown it for my arrival date. She smiled, and inquired if I'd care to extend my stay an extra night and actually stay tonight instead of returning tomorrow. Now that's crack thinking. I'm forever appreciative as I was dreading the thought of sleeping in my car the first night.

Seriously, Michelle had a smile and great sense of humor. Kudos, great job. I have a good feeling about the rest of my stay. The room is clean, the internet works great, I'm happy.

Thanks!

Room Tip: Kids will love the waterpark nearby, and for the kids, always get a room on the 1st floor!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KStebleton
DTBOS_Mgr, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
We’re so glad that we were able to make your stay more comfortable and convenient! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore. We’re sure that the rest of your stay will be as enjoyable as the beginning of your stay, and our excellent staff is always available to assist with your needs. Let us know how we can help! We hope that you will return again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Danvers
North Shore Hotel
North Shore Hotel
#2 of 9 in Danvers
TownePlace Suites Boston North Shore/Danvers
Courtyard Boston Danvers
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Residence Inn Boston North Shore/Danvers

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore? Share your experiences!