“Beautiful hotel!”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Danvers
Nashua NH
“Beautiful hotel!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel so I would not have to travel back and forth for a weekend workshop I was taking nearby. The front desk clerk was very friendly and efficient, even though they were very busy. I loved my room on the 8th floor. It was beautifully decorated and the king sized bed was a dream to fall into after two very long days of classes. Both mornings it was a joy to take a shower in the walk-in shower, and the water was HOT! I very much appreciated that the hotel keeps the families to the lower floors while using the upper floors for the business travelers. Although I did not eat at the restaurant, I did relax in the lounge every night with a glass of wine. Furnishings were comfortable and the service was great. I would definitely recommend this hotel, and hope to have the opportunity to stay there again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank gssuzy
DTBOS_Mgr, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind words about the DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore! We are so glad that we were able to make your weekend of training a little bit easier with our efficient staff, beautiful rooms, and comfortable Lounge. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Richmond, VA
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel as part of a wedding group and received a discounted rate. I had never stayed at a DoubleTree before and had always heard good thing, but was shocked about the horrible service at this location. Its unfair to say that everyone provided poor service, b/c we received very good service from the front desk staff, and the bellman who drove us from the bus station. But when it came to reservations, and the restaurant/bar, the staff was pretty dreadful. In summary. The location of this place is terrible -- difficult to get to, and virtually around nothing so your limited in dining options. If you don't have a car, forget about this place. The hotel has a terrible layout, its a mismatch of two very old hotels, with a $15M renovation, and a poor reservation team which will put a group party scattered across the massive hotel and promise things they can't deliver to get your foot in the door (ex. free water park passes for a family of 4 upon check in). The bfast restaurant is very overpriced with poor to mediocre food quality, and the bar is also over priced ($6 per coors light), with bartenders incapable of serving drinks. The room quality is decent, the beds comfy, and the AC units work. However, given the age of the hotel, the walls are thin and there was always some kind of construction going on in the mornings. Needless to say, if I find myself in Peabody, MA ever again, I'll be staying somewhere else. For a more detailed review, keep on reading: Reservation: Within a week of the wedding group being established, myself, as well as numerous family members attempted to make a reservation, only to be denied the 'group rate' as well the preferred room. Keep in mind, this was about April for a 2 night stay in August, so plenty in advance. This took number of work arounds by the groom to get things straight. Upon arrival our bed wasn't ready, which was fine as we were early. But we weren't asked if we wanted any of the precious 'cookies' that they so pride themselves on. Breakfast: Basically its the hotel restaurant, and they expect you to get the $16 buffet. Now I've paid that much for a bfast buffet before, but its usually at top notch restaurants, at top hotels. This buffet was awful -- rubbery pancakes, sausage that has sat too long, no juice, no milk, except for cereal, etc. It was also very small, which is ridiculous b/c the hotel is MASSIVE. IF you want to buy bfast from the cheaper, a la cart menu, good luck. You're going to wait a while. When the food does come out, its basically plucked right off of the buffet by the waitress. So you're getting the same rubbery food that other people have handled..... Awesome. Bar: we visited the bar on several occassions. Each time, it was a terrible experience. The first visit was about 1p on a Saturday, as we were first to arrive of our group, our room wasn't ready, we didn't have a car, and the hotel is in the middle of nowhere. So we had lunch at the bar. The sandwiches were actually quite excellent. However, the bar was over-priced, and the bartender seemed to care more about stocking beer in the fridge than tending to customers (ie. us b/c we were the only two people in the place). Additionally, all the beer taps were broken or unstocked, and the bar tender had NO clue what types of beer he had in the fridge (despite stocking it). He seemed shocked that I asked for a Sam's Summer Ale, which is is hilarious given this place is 20min from Boston. He also seemed shocked when he actually found the Sam's Summer in the fridge. Later that night we came back, and I requested a Sam's summer Ale only to be shut down by the new bartender. Hilarious, b/c I knew they had it, I told her so, and even told her which fridge to get it from. She denied seeing it and I was forced to pay a rather steep $6 for a Coors Light (as I didn't like the other options). The next evening we came back with the wedding group. There was about 30-50people in this bar and only 2 bar tenders. While I understand its a lot of people for 2 bar tenders to serve, it still shouldn't take 5 mintues, from the time of ordering a bottled beer, to the time I receive it. That doesn't include the 15minute wait leading up to that point. Its really not that hard.... I almost jumped back there myself to help out and make a few bucks in tips. Then at 12:45am (a pretty random time), we were all ejected from the bar. We were told, "you dont have to finish your drinks, but you must leave." There was no warning, just a nice 'get out.' Pretty bad that they would do that to this group considering they brought in substantial money for the hotel via reservations, breakfast, and the bar. Sorry Get out. Gee thanks. Another straw was when the Groom asked for a 1 or 2pm check out (normal check out is 11am) on a Monday morning. He was denied. I really have to wonder why in the Hell you would deny that request, again, considering how much money he brought to this craptastic hotel. I myself, spent close to $500 just for two nights, 1.5 days. It would've been more had your bartenders been more attentive/capable of serving drinks, and had an entire bar full of people not get randomly shut out. Hotel itself: The lobby is very nice, new and modern. The layout of this hotel is very strange. Its almost like they pieced together an old 2 story hotel with a newer high-rise and the two didn't gel together very well. There are family-rooms over in the 2 story wing, which are impossible to get to/from in a timely manner. Bringing luggage into that area of the hotel is near impossible given a lack of logical entrances, and we say a lot of people propping open fire doors with rocks or bricks (real safe!). Additionally, given the ancientness of the hotel, there's various construction projects going on. Each morning we heard, what sounded like a hammer drill going into the side of the building at 6am. Very odd. We were on the 3rd floor, and the 2nd floor is all conference space, which was empty during our stay. So I had a very hard time figuring out what the noise actually was. But it started around 6am, and would come and go throughout the rest of the day -- a loud, vibrating noise. The hotel also advertises a pool on its website. However, once you get to the hotel, finding the pool is like finding a gas turbine engine in an electric car. Its tucked in the way back, by the health spa, with no signage in the hotel. Once you get there, its a weird set up with a 'secret' outdoor patio that's difficult to get to/from. Bottom line: nice lobby, nice rooms, awful hotel layout, awful service when it comes to the bar, restaurant and reservations for large groups. Front desk staff is pretty good, and did a good job of mitigating further service damage.

2 Thank TaurusSaurus
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback as it gives us the opportunity to improve our service. We’re very sorry to read about your challenges with the reservation process, disappointment with the restaurant and lounge. Rest assured, your concerns have been shared with our leadership team and associates. We hope that you will give us another chance when you are next in the area.
Waterford, Michigan
Reviewed August 12, 2013

As I checked in, Michelle helped me. As I had suffered a momentary lapse of reason when booking, I'd blown it for my arrival date. She smiled, and inquired if I'd care to extend my stay an extra night and actually stay tonight instead of returning tomorrow. Now that's crack thinking. I'm forever appreciative as I was dreading the thought of sleeping in my car the first night.

Seriously, Michelle had a smile and great sense of humor. Kudos, great job. I have a good feeling about the rest of my stay. The room is clean, the internet works great, I'm happy.

Thanks!

Room Tip: Kids will love the waterpark nearby, and for the kids, always get a room on the 1st floor!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KStebleton
DTBOS_Mgr, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
We’re so glad that we were able to make your stay more comfortable and convenient! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore. We’re sure that the rest of your stay will be as enjoyable as the beginning of your stay, and our excellent staff is always available to assist with your needs. Let us know how we can help! We hope that you will return again soon!
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 12, 2013

waterpark was fun even though indoors, great slides and the health club offered a regular swimming pool and hot tub. Waterpark has Gator Go & Grab snack shop & actually cooked real food! The family suite was perfect for two teens & two adults breakfast provided in dining room was easy and the food was well prepared & warm, fantastic waitstaff fun & friendly and very flexible for our quirks

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are happy to read that you and your family had such an enjoyable time staying at the DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore and visiting CoCo Key Water Park. We look forward to your next visit!
Westminster, Colorado
Reviewed August 12, 2013

As the title says, this hotel has some exceptional qualities. i only had a couple of complaints requiring the staff's attention that need some time to rectify, since they are problems with the lighting in the room that I stayed in, which was huge, by the way. Given the attitude of the staff and eagerness to please, I believe that my concerns will be addressed in time. The hotel was just remodeled and was very clean and in good repair.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

We truly appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore. We are thrilled that our staff provided such excellent service to you and hope that you will return soon!
Tyngsboro, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Double Tree Marriott in Danvers, MA - great location, very clean, friendly employees and awesome accomodations. Would go back in a minute. Loved everything about it. Part of a wedding party and the hotel was great to work with and made each and every guest feel at home. Great place for KIDS.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your kinds words about the DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore! We are so glad that we succeeded in making each guest feel at home. We look forward to your next visit!
Closter, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The answer is no. This hotel does not meet the standards of Hilton. Bad guests were making noise at 2AM and were smoking inside the hotel. Bad room service. Diffiuclty in calling the front desk. There are so many problems.

5 Thank Motoko H
We appreciate your feedback, although we are saddened that your experience at our hotel did not exceed your standards. We would welcome the opportunity to further discuss with you how we could improve our service. Please feel free to reach out to us directly at 978 777 2500. We hope that you will give us another chance in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Danvers
North Shore Hotel
North Shore Hotel
#2 of 9 in Danvers
TownePlace Suites Boston North Shore/Danvers
Residence Inn Boston North Shore/Danvers
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Courtyard Boston Danvers
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore? Share your experiences!