“Disappointed”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Danvers
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Very disappointed of this hotel. Stayed with a large organization that blocked off several rooms for a weekend. We expected to be able to go to their water park. Upon arrival told that all tickets were sold out, no tickets are pulled aside for hotel guests.

Room supplies were missing or dirty. Our room was not cleaned, beds not made and new towels replaced. Had to go to the front desk and asked for someone to clean the room for us.

Went to the hotel pool, and because we didn't have clean towels asked at the member desk for one. Was told they were only for members and he would be "screwed" if he didn't have any for the members the next day. Told to get one from my room;again I would have had I had any clean towels in my room.

Supplies were not refreshed so ended up spending extra money for a pot of coffee.

Very disappointed in the quality of this hotel. I have stayed in many other hotels and have not been as disappointed as I was in this hotel.

2  Thank Kathryn W
DTBOS_Mgr, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

We really value your feedback! We strive to provide our guests with exemplary service and care and we are saddened to read that your recent stay did not reflect these goals or live up to your standards. Rest assured, we have shared your feedback with our management team and associates. We do hope that you will give us another chance in the near future.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We went here as a cheer squad renting about 75 rooms for our National Cheer competition. We could not get passes to Coco Keys because the link they were to set up was never set up and we were told we were going to be able to purchase pass at a discount when we arrived, but was not able to becaue they were SOLD OUT! So the girls had to use the pool on Saturday evening. When they finally could use the pool after a pool party the person from the pool staff when we entered the pool area was rude tell us the pool already has 50 people in it and it is full. We were in the pool for about 15 minutes when another staff person came in and went around to the group and told us the pool was going to closed at 8:45 instead of 10:00 because they were going to need to clean it because of all the people in it. Then they had the nerve to tell a club member whiles my husband was standing there waiting to ask for a towel, which they would not provide, that she could not use the pool because the cheerleaders had ruined the pool. The girls were following the posted rules. We found this staff member of the club to be extremely rude, so we went to the front desk of the hotel to make them aware of the issue at what time they told us the pool was club owned not owned by the hotel and it was a perk for the hotel guest.This should be put on their website because it was no PERK it was just another downfall to this hotel. Once we went back to our room thing did not improve the sheets on one of the bed were stained and my son went to take a shower and when he went to wipe up with the towel it had a clump on it, of what appeared to be a "bogger". IT WAS EXTREMELY GROSS!!!!! I will NEVER return to this hotel and would not recomended it to anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank Breana L

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry for the challenges that you encountered during your stay, especially regarding the Water Park access, the pool in the Atlantis Sports Club and the cleanliness level of your room. We have shared your comments with our leadership team and associates and will take the opportunity to improve. When you are ready to return, we would be happy to personally make your reservation for you; please call Mariah at (978) 646 1065.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed here while visiting the water park, and weren't terribly impressed by the hotel. The walls seemed thin and it could be noisy at times. The family room we stayed in had two VERY small beds for kids - not much bigger than toddler beds. The hotel itself was clean, and the staff very nice, but it just wasn't that great.

1  Thank Denise G

Thanks for your high praise of our “very nice” staff! We would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your stay and what would have made your experience outstanding. At your convenience, please reach out to Mariah at (978) 646 1065. We do hope that we’ll see you again soon!

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Staff Assessment -
It all started with the terrible front desk service that is not cognizant of the customers needs. Management has no presence in the hotel and its lack of leadership shows in the staff. Hotel rooms are average.

Facility Assessment -
Rooms were spacious and clean being able to accommodate a family of six.

The gym facilities are better than most hotels but again the staff are not attentive to the guest needs.

The kids loved the waterpark. The bar next to the waterpark, as expected, is more lively than the one off the lobby.

Lobby area is nice with decent computer facilities. Access to WiFi is good throughout the hotel. As noted before, the front desk staff is rude and not hospitable. Expect that at times there is only one person at the front desk with a line of people waiting (not sure why they don't call for help). There is a blond lady at the front desk that has been rude on several occasion.

The hotel restaurant food is average (both at the breakfast buffet and the Tradewinds). Service at both locations is mediocre.

Location -
The hotel is located near a number of decent restaurants and not to far from downtown.

Price-
We paid about $360 for a suite which included two double beds and two kid beds. This price included four water park tickets and breakfast for four.

Overall -
Great concept, but Management needs to be more involved to motivate the staff and instill a better customer service approach.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank cabowong
DTBOS_Mgr, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

We are so glad that your kids loved the water park! However, we are disappointed to read about the less than attentive service that you received throughout the hotel. Rest assured, we have shared your comments with our leadership team and associates and will address your feedback. We do hope that you and your family will give us another chance in the near future.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I really have nothing positive to say about our stay at this hotel. We will however; be professional in writing this review. We have never felt so unwelcome as we did when we checked into this hotel at 8:15 p.m.. It was like we were not good enough to be staying at this hotel. We were told we could not be Hilton Honor members, unless we stay and travel everyday of our life. We were also told we could not upgrade to the executive floor, which we found out when we checked out the following day to be a false statement. They need to fix the coco Keys website, it is very deceiving. We have been trying to get in touch with a general manager, leaving several messages and no reply, which is very unprofessional in our eyes. We are losing faith in this hotel taking care of customer issues and the 100% guarantee they have in place. So last, but certainly not least, we would say, stay away from this hotel, unless u have lots of money. Then on the flip side, I would like to say there were 3 women that don't deserve to be part of this review. I wish we would have gotten all their names, but we were so appalled and upset that getting their names was the furthest from our minds. We know one of their names was Janelle and they all 3 would have been there at the same time, they were great and should be in another hotel that fits their personality. We will never stay or recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Make sure u read reviews on this hotel.
3  Thank Debbie R

We are surprised and discouraged by your review. Hilton Honors is an excellent program for all travelers, regardless of their frequency of travel. We would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your stay and how we could improve our customer service and communication. At your convenience, please reach out to Mariah at (978) 646 1065; she will ensure that your concerns are addressed. We do hope that you will give us another chance in the near future.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

On Friday, 3/15//2013, we went to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel in Danvers, MA to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday. A little stay-cation as you will with a king size family suite for a room and the Co-Co Key Water Resort on site. Unfortunately, I have nothing good to say about the hotel, but the water park was indeed fun. Upon arriving, we found only one individual working the reception desk and the line was extremely long with people waiting to check in. After receiving our room assignment, we were given the wrong directions to find our room, not once but twice. Upon entering our suite it looked nice enough and roomy for our family of four. A few minutes later, my husband needed to call the front desk and found that the in-room phone was not working. He thought perhaps it might be unplugged, but quickly he realized the phone's wires had been ripped from the wall and obviously not picked up during the room inspection. Neither TV in the room would work. One TV got very sketchy service on one channel only where it would stay on for a few seconds and cut in and out and the other one didn't work at all. My hubby marched down with the phone in hand to the front desk to advise them of the issues we were encountering. A nice enough gentleman provided my husband with a free appetizer coupon for their restaurant on site and indicated someone would be up shortly to install a new phone. They never came!

We got tired of waiting so we went down to the water park to use it before it closed for the night. We had fun, although the park closed 10 minutes earlier than what we were told it would be open until. Once the park closed, we headed back up to our room to shower and change our clothes. We were all very thirsty from being in the humid water park, so my husband went to get ice. Unfortunately, he found the ice machine to not be in working order with the front panel completely removed. The bathroom was filthy with short, wiry hairs to be found everywhere. Needless to say, we skipped the showers. My husband went back down to the lobby and spoke with another agent who then indicated they would take $60 off our room rate as an apology for our troubles. Ice was supposed to be sent up, the phone was to be fixed and neither happened.

We called the corporate offices (head company for DoubleTree). After having the call dropped 3 times by different associates, we were finally able to lodge our complaint in full with the corporate office. After a lengthy discussion, it was decided that we would be comped in full for our stay. We were to receive an email confirmation of this decision and the hotel we were staying at would be immediately notified. The corporate office then called the hotel and had someone bring us up our ice, but at that point I was very leery of using it so we just left it in our ice bucket. No one came up to fix the phone or TV and by the time the ice came it was so late, the kids were already in bed so we told them not to bother but they should fix it before new tenants came in the morning.

Fast forward to the next morning, Saturday, 3/16/13. We went down for our free breakfast buffet that was included with our stay-cation. The waitstaff were very disorganized. Before seating any party the one woman would walk back through the restaurant and check to see what tables were open and available before coming back to seat any party. This happened over and over again resulting in a very long wait for everyone in line that was eager to eat. In my opinion, as people are seated, the empty seats should be identified so the next party in line could be seated without further delay. Anyway, we were seated, told to head over to the buffet table and that someone would be there afterwards with our coffee/tea and other drinks. The buffet wasn't huge but it did cover all the food groups. Unfortunately, most of the main entrees were empty. Our first trip up consisted of bacon, cold french toast and fruit because the eggs, sausage, and potatoes were empty. They were not filled immediately and it was at least 20 minutes before one was filled and others followed a short time later. The sausage was never refilled. One toaster was not in working order. No one ever came to our table to offer or bring us drinks. When our plates appeared empty someone came over to collect the free buffet coupon (that the person that seated us already collected) and only then, as we were standing to leave offered us drinks. Very disappointing!!

We headed over to the lobby desk to see if the comp for the stay had come through from corporate as I had not received the email confirmation that was promised. The person at the desk could only see the $60 credit that was initially promised by the hotel attendant and nothing else. We were told to check back later. Really? A simple call to the corporate office would have sufficed.

We then headed back up to our room to pack things up as check out was at 11 and we wanted to head to the water park for the day. After packing up and loading our car with our belongings, we went back to the hotel lobby to check out and THANKFULLY we were told the total comp of our stay had been applied and we received a check/bill for zero dollars. Off to the water park we went!!

All in all the water park was nice. A bit crowded and hard to find a home base to set up, but all in all a pleasant experience. The large water slides are so much fun! My kids enjoyed their time in the arcade as well as everything the water park offered. My husband and I enjoyed it too.

On Sunday morning, 3/17/2013, I checked my bank account from which I had booked the hotel. I could clearly see the authorization for payment, but now I was happy to see an authorization going through to reverse that payment, essentially wiping the slate clean. On Monday 3/18/2013 there were no more authorizations pending. My account was free and clear of any charges by Double Tree.

On Tuesday, 3/19/2013 I went to the grocery store to pick up just a few groceries to find my purchase wasn't authorized. Come to find out, the DoubleTree by Hilton resort in Danvers, MA put the charges through AGAIN for my room that day. This is unacceptable!!! I called the hotel right away and the initial person I was talking to didn't know what to do, began to take down my contact information, requested that I fax them my zero receipt in the morning. Her supervisor overheard her conversation with me and after putting me on hold I was told that they were so sorry for the mix up. It was explained that there must have been a computer glitch and I was told this supervisor would rectify the situation right away and send me an email confirmation showing the charges being reversed again. I was told this would be done immediately. I gathered all their contact names, including the name of the manager that would be working in the morning so that if this problem wasn't fixed, I would would know who to speak with about it. Sure enough.....no credit was applied. My funds had still not been returned to me. I did, however, receive another zero receipt via email that looked very similar to the initial one I received when we checked out.

On Wednesday, 3/20/13 I called the hotel again because my account still has not been rectified. The supervisor that I spoke with previously insists that the refund has been put through. She then told me that she personally called my bank and instructed them to release the funds but it can take 3-5 business days.

I find it very odd that an authorization to hold funds can be placed and seen immediately. The authorization to release the funds in the first place could be seen immediately, but now when they have my money - money which they were never authorized to take in the first place - it's a long drawn out process to have my funds returned to me. I'm not feeling very confident at all. It seems as if everyone dropped the ball throughout the whole ordeal. Corporate didn't follow through with their promised communications and the hotel hasn't done anything right by me from the get-go. I swear when we stayed there it was as if the person in charge had a night off and everyone decided to have a free for all. Poor customer service all around!!!! Poor experience!

Now, as I wait for my rightful funds to be returned to me, I am at a literally at a standstill and cannot purchase things that need to be purchased because my funds are not where they should be. I have the additional worry that an overdraft fee might be incurred because I have bills that were set up to be paid and now the money is not there to pay them either.

I do not recommend this hotel and would be very hesitant in staying at another DoubleTree resort in the future. It's a shame because my kids would love to go back to that water park some day. It's not around the corner from me, so realistically a day trip is out of the question...I would need to stay over in order for us to go there again. I can only hope the corporate office does the right thing when all is said and done and makes me an offer like a free stay somewhere else in one of their other hotels - then and ONLY THEN would I give them a second chance!!!

Room Tip: No elevator leading up to our King Size Family Room Suite on the second floor. The floor plan is co...
4  Thank k2b82298

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We share your disappointment with the level of service that you received during your stay. Rest assured, your feedback has been shared with our leadership team and associates and your concerns will be addressed. We will do right by you. It is our understanding that you have been in contact with one of excellent customer service agents and that the funds have been returned to you. We sincerely apologize for challenges that you encountered. When you are ready to return, we would be happy to personally make your reservation for you; please call Mariah at (978) 646 1065.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Obviously, parents are going to notice things that their kids will not. Here's what I didn't like:
- No blow dryers in the bathroom.
- They emailed us ahead of time to see if we had special requests. We asked for extra towels and foam pillows (instead of down). Neither was in our room when we got there.
- Rooms had a lot of wear and tear.
- Room service dishes were left in the hall for 24+ hours outside some of the neighboring rooms. Gross.
- Rooms on the second floor have no elevator access. Had to lug our stroller and luggage up the stairs.
- Ice machine on our floor wasn't working.
- Breakfast buffet was $55 for two adults and a six-year-old. Overall, the food was okay, like any run-of-the-mill free Hampton breakfast, but some bites of their bacon didn't taste like bacon. That weirded us out a little bit.

The most annoying thing for me was the fact that they were out of towels at the pool the night we arrived, and the next day they were out of towels again at the water park. It's bad enough that they hadn't stayed on top of their towel situation, but in both cases, they asked us to go back to our room and get our bath towels. That's like going to a restaurant that doesn't have clean plates, and them asking you to go get some and come back. Isn't that YOURS to manage, Doubletree? The guy who was working (alone) at the pool the night of 3/16 seemed annoyed by our presence and generally overwhelmed. Perhaps you should have more than one person working on a Saturday night?

Okay, all of those things said, here's what's great about it:
- The waterpark was a HUGE hit with my two little boys. Very convenient to have it on site. We never had to leave the hotel on a very cold weekend.
- Big, warm chocolate chip cookies on arrival, and then by request.
- Nice sized swimming pool.
- Nice lobby and shared spaces.
- Family suites with two little beds for the kids was awesome. Provided separate spaces for parents and kids, while still being close enough for them not to be scared. Every hotel should have this type of room set up as an option!
- Microwaves and refrigerators in room.
- All of the hotel staff (other than the pool guy) were very nice and helpful. In particular, the ladies at the front desk were wonderful. Good service makes such a difference.

I would go to this hotel again, but I would bring our own breakfast food next time. I think the hotel has a lot of potential, but they should renovate the rooms and iron out the kinks in terms of their staffing and/or processes. If those two things were cleared up, this would be a FABULOUS place to spend the weekend with the kids.

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor if you prefer to have an elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
DTBOS_Mgr, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

We really appreciate your feedback! It sounds like your family had a wonderful time at our indoor water park! We agree with you that the new Family Room types featuring two youth beds are great for families with young kids! However, it is important to note that all of these special rooms are located on the first and second floors and do not have elevator access. We have shared your comments with our leadership team and associates and will work toward provided better service in the future. As a Hilton hotel, our goal is to set the standard for customer service; thank you again for the gift of your feedback and bringing to our attention areas where we can improve. We look forward to your next visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Danvers
Best Western Plus North Shore Hotel
Residence Inn Boston North Shore/Danvers
Courtyard Boston Danvers
TownePlace Suites Boston North Shore/Danvers
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore? Share your experiences!