“WORSE HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Danvers
Schnecksville, Pennsylvania
“WORSE HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER!”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

People in our party had to wait two hour due to unclean rooms because the water was shut off for renovations. There was no hot water the first day, and the water was brown. When the maids came to clean, the organized our whole room which meant they touched all of our personal items! Our ceiling was dripping water and when we called down to the desk they said there was no engineer at the time and asked if we wanted to switch doors at 2am in the morning. We said we would call back which we did not, and they failed to check on us. Also, the key cards did not always work for the room so you had to get them reprogrammed. Every employee was rude and no one put the customer first! When we asked (several times) to speak the manager, no one came. Worse experience ever! This experienced changed my opinion on hilton hotels!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Clare B
Justin W, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this detailed review and I’m sorry for the multiple issues that you experienced while staying with us, I can understand where your frustrations would stem from at any hotel, more specifically a DoubleTree Hotel by Hilton. Having a clean room in working order should not just be an expectation but a 100% guarantee and I’m sorry that we were not able to provide this. I have brought your comments to the attention of my Engineering and Housekeeping team.

Again, please accept my sincerest apologize and thank you for the feedback. I can ensure you, if you’re able to come visit us again, your next trip will exceed your expectations. . Please feel free to contact me if there is anything else we may be able to assist with.

Be well
Justin Williams
Director of Operations
Justin.williams@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
West Pittston, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We came here on a bus trip which was booked through a tour company. I did my research but didn't find out about issues until we were on the bus. We were told there were issues with having hot water, which at the time didn't seem to be a major concern to me. When the bus arrived, the front is under construction so we were left off at what I believe was a side door. No security (very poor lighting at night), no hotel rep. nothing. This is no excuse for poor customer service. Our bus driver had gotten all the keys, but we were not even acknowleged as guests. It wasn't until I needed a bottle of water did I realize there was a lobby with staff. I had seen housekeeping personnel but the other 3 employees seen at no time even said hello. The rooms were beautiful. I did have warm water the first morning, and hot water the second. There was no tub plug for the drain. Another guest said this too. There is also no fan in the bathroom. The hallways were noisy during the night with kids and adults yelling back and forth. Ice was available on our floor but the only soda available was at the desk in the lobby. Housekeeping was great. The room was clean. There was no refrigerator or microwave as described. I know this place has renovations going on, but that is definately no excuse for poor customer service. If I had to pick, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank babs067
Matthew D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
We really appreciate your feedback and the opportunity for improvement that it represents. We’re sorry that our renovations inconvenienced your arrival, but we are pleased to tell you that the front entrance is now fully functional. As you experienced, our standard guest rooms do not include refrigerators or microwaves; however, they are available upon request for a nominal fee. Thank you for your kind words about our housekeeping staff and the cleanliness of the rooms. We would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your stay with you; should you choose to call the hotel, please ask for Justin Williams. We do hope that you will visit us again when the rest of our renovations are complete.
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I recently stayed at this property for a wedding. Previously (years ago) I stayed here when it was the Ferncroft Sheraton and it was decent then. It appears from what I see on here, that the property has had several variations over the last few years. Within the last couple weeks it has been acquired and/or taken on the Hilton Double Tree name. The lobby and lounge were just redone and frankly quite nice, especially the lounge area. The lounge is set up nicely and has a spacious relaxing seating area (I enjoyed). Most of the rooms are recently redone and I found them to be above average for this type of property, I will tell you the service is still getting there, not due to a lack of friendliness or trying. For example, took me several times to get through to Room Service and they didn't seem to have their act together, but nice enough. I would give this property a try, recently redone and they are working at it.

1 Thank JeffW79
Matthew D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
We really appreciate your feedback! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the newly renovated lobby, lounge and guest rooms. Thank you for your wonderful comments about our friendly staff! We hope to see you again in the near future when your travels bring you back to the greater Boston area.
Somers, Connecticut
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I think this hotel gets bought out every year and is constantly under construction. Last year I think it was a Sheraton. Perhaps improvements are coming this time around as it looks like a major overhaul is taking place. But in the mean time, this is an overpriced 1 star hotel. The room was clean, comfortable bed, soft towels, good soap/shampoo, but the T.V. had to be turned off and on several times to get a picture, a wheel was missing on the desk chair (don't know how anyone could not notice this as the thing couldn't even be pushed around), tried calling the front desk but noone ever picked up. Lack of map to find the ice machines down their superlong hallways. Another guest shared with me that the ice machine on their floor fell apart during their attempts to get ice with a top panel almost falling on them. Lastly there was a visible electrical junction box with exposed wires on the wall that was missing a cover plate. Stay somewhere else!

3 Thank Medusa222
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I do apologize that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay. We truly appreciate your insight into your experience and will use it to make improvements throughout our hotel. We do hope that you will give us another chance the next time that you are in the area. Thank you again for your feedback.
Cebu
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hotel driveway was very dark when we arrived during the night, around 9pm. It was a looooooooong walk from driveway to the reception. Although WIFI was free, you'd be lucky to get into the system (slow and intermittent). The elevator we got on was defective and scared us to death as it didn't stop on any of our floors! It finally stopped on the top floor, we got off and walked down to our floor. The other elevator was under repair and the last remaining one was ready to give up on us as well. A plus is the Starbucks at the lobby that opened at 5:30am, but it surprisingly had VERY BAD coffee (too much water, too little coffee). We stayed for one night and it was one night too long.

2 Thank janandmabel
Matthew D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston North Shore, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
We really appreciate your feedback. We recently converted to the DoubleTree by Hilton brand and are still undergoing renovations to the Internet infrastructure and the elevators. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your experience. Please feel free to contact me directly at (978) 750 7901. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback.
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights at the hotel as part of a bus tour to Salem. My group arrived around 330pm and out driver came in and got all the room keys for the people on our tour. We were traveling with another couple and went to our rooms. When we entered our room had not been cleaned yet. We went down the hall to our friend’s room and their room was unclean as well so we went to the desk to try and get things taken care of. At that point, we ran in to 2 other couples from our tour which had similar problems. A room was found for the couple we were staying with, find a ready room for us was a problem we (as a husband and wife couple) were offered a room with 2 double beds several times. Finally we just dropped our entire luggage and got changed in our friends’ room to get ready in time meet our waiting bus. After we got ready we found a manager and were finally given a room at about 4pm. The room was clean; the bed was comfortable and appeared to have recently been renovated. Sever people on our group had problems with the hot water taking a long time to get hot on not getting very hot at all. The newly renovated rooms also do not have refrigerators. I am pretty sure that our original room in the not yet renovated part of the hotel had a refrigerator which was disappointing. We were on a bus tour so once we returned at night we were stuck with what was available at the hotel. There were no vending machines that I saw but there were snacks for sale at the front desk which were very overpriced (about double what I would expect to pay in a convenience store). We were only at the hotel in the morning when the restaurant was open and the prices seemed high to me there as well but that may have been normal pricing to the area. The bar in the hotel seem to close on the early side and needed more than on bar tender to handle the volume on the night we were there. The hotel was VERY large and we were stayed during a weekend that was completely booked. The staff did their best, when we were finally settled are room was nice, however, if I was to travel to the area again I would give strong consideration to staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: It appears they started renovations at the top(floor8) and are working their way down.