“Would not recommend--go elsewhere”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cohasset
The Red Lion Inn Resort 1704
Ranked #1 of 2 Cohasset B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 26, 2010

My sister just had her rehearsal dinner and wedding reception here. I would not recommend this place to anyone for this type of event. They were very disorganized beginning with basic room reservations to where the wedding party was eating brunch the following day. After the wedding, we met at the bar area and were served beverages with inflated prices, and when we asked for bar snacks or food to order we were told that was not available because the restaurant was closed. HUH? After that my sister requested some extra blankets and was given two mattress pads.Before the wedding my sister had requested an area for our family to eat brunch on Sunday. We were directed to a room that was decorated with my sister's center pieces from the night before. My family started helping ourselves to a brunch buffet when another bride's family came in. It was actually their room and now we have just eaten some of their food.!! We were directed to a small resturant area and offered OJ that tasted like lemonade, french toast, scrambled eggs , fruit and potatoes. That was it. We were not allowed to order from the menu.The wedding coordinator came down to speak to my sister and had the nerve to ask her to go to trip advisor to write a positive review, even after the brunch snaffu.Then they gave my brother in law a bill for $500, which came to $20 per person which was alot more than just ordering off the menu. When I checked out they informed me my bill was $50 more than my quoted rate. They did the same to my parents. This place is a disorganized, inflexible mess and NOT worth the value. STAY AWAY.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Mass_Travelingfool

Reviewed September 24, 2010

My daughter really wanted to have her wedding here, she loved the rustic yet elegant feel. Daddy was more practical, and checked the reviews here and elsewhere, and was not impressed. I told our planner, Elizabeth, that I was going into this with little confidence, and that they really needed to step up. If they did, I’d write a great review, which seemed fair since I was using this resource as the source of my lack of trust.

Well, they pulled it off. The place was beautiful, Elizabeth coordinated everything nearly flawlessly, and I was very pleased, which is no easy feat. Before writing this review, I couldn’t help but notice that most of the more recent reviews have been very positive. Congratulations on turning things around!

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank joecad
Reviewed September 23, 2010

My DH and I went into Hull to visit his mother, so we checked into the Nantasket Hotel on the Beach. Somehow they had lost our reservation and couldn't accomodate us. Thrilling. Every hotel was sold out for some reason around the area except the Red Lion Inn. The woman at the counter was very nice until we requested a AAA price. She couldn't do it without help so a man came down and spoke in broken english saying the AAA price was $250. The woman had said the regular price was $195! MY DH told him that we would not pay more money for a discount, and after this one statement the man said 'the hell with it, I don't need you here! I have enough people here" and walked away. We did not see a single soul anywhere in the lodge. The woman said he was the OWNER!! I went into the tavern and he was sitting down drinking! He looked at me and said "what are you looking at? i want you to leave!" We ended up staying with my DHs sister in Randolph, much further than we were hoping. Unless you like being pushed around, stay away!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SmEd7719
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We had our wedding on August 21, 2010 at the Red Lion Inn. We had 205 guests and had the rehearsal dinner the night before there as well. We basically took over the whole Inn for the full weekend. And let me tell you... IT WAS AWESOME.

The rehearsal dinner was in the Salon de Soleil and was about 60 total people. The food was fantastic and we had a great time.

The wedding itself could not have gone any smoother. We had our cocktail hour in the Salon (and also outdoors because the weather was perfect) and the reception in the Lions Hall. We also used "the Cave" for an afterhours party. When we originally booked the Red Lion Inn we were hesitant because of some of the earlier (and much older) reviews. Needless to say we worried over nothing. The wedding coordinator there, Elizabeth, is simply amazing. She had everything down to a science and really listened to us and was helpful during the whole process. Chef Ryan was amazing and the food was a very big hit (the braised short ribs are to die for)! The air conditioning worked great, the service was great and Elizabeth was there to see the day through and really helped to ensure a stress free and enjoyable night for us as well as all of our guests. The hall itself is amazing. Just a warm and rustic feeling and keeps everyone right in the action. We packed the dance floor the whole night.

I wouldn't change a single thing about our wedding and the Red Lion Inn was everything we could have hoped for and more. I highly reccomend this place to anyone and everyone. Elizabeth and her team will make you feel right at home like she did with us!

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed July 9, 2010

We had both our wedding ceremony and reception at the Red Lion Inn on June 18, 2010. We had the most amazing time! We couldn't have asked for anything more. Thank you Elizabeth, Stacey, Elka, and the rest of the staff at the Red Lion Inn for making our wedding planning so easy and our wedding day so special. We had a blast, as did our family and friends. The food was amazing - which is so very important. The guest rooms were absolutely beautiful and very romantic. I could go on and on...! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

To future brides and grooms: Ignore the terrible reviews from months ago. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. You can't go wrong with the Red Lion Inn.

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank SophyJT
Reviewed April 18, 2010

The Red Lion Inn boasts all the components to host “the best wedding ever.” Our expectations were completely blown away! All of our guests raved about the Red Lion Inn; from the staff, to the food, to the guest rooms, every detail was extraordinary!

Our wedding was in the beautifully spectacular rustic Great Hall, with the “best wedding food ever!” Our party also booked the guest rooms for both Friday and Saturday night, with breakfast each morning.

Elizabeth, the function coordinator, was a god-send. She came in with a little over 3 months left in the planning. We immediately felt comfortable and at ease with her. She immediately responded to our inquiries and was very attentive. Elizabeth pleasantly and professionally guided us through every detail and offered great suggestions. She was fun and easy to work with. Elizabeth worked very closely and very well with the owners, the banquet manger Stacy, and Chef Ryan, to ensure every request and detail was met, no matter how trivial. All were very accommodating.

The food was superb! The quality, quantity, and presentation were incredible and served perfectly by an impeccable staff. The ratio of staff to guest was impressive. The breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday were just as scrumptious.

The Inn is charmingly elegant and very clean. The guest rooms are beautiful, very comfortable and very relaxing. Elke was terrific and very patient coordinating the room details.

We were able to relax and have a blast at our own wedding because we knew our “Wedding Weekend” was in great hands! The staff at the Red Lion Inn is outstanding and the facility is spectacular.

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank calilwen
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Our daughter and new husband had their wedding nuptials and reception here on 2/21/10. It was a small wedding with about 25 people held in a small, cozy room with a warm fire in the fireplace. Elizabeth, the wedding coordinator was absolutely wonderful with helping us put everything together...she is a class act. The two servers were very professional and attentive.
When we walked into the room, it looked just beautiful all set up with the white, crisp table clothes, beautifully lit, ....a lovely ambience. After the nuptials, we had a cocktail hour with a variety of cheese and crackers, fresh fruit, etc. This was followed by a meal consisting of lobster bisque that was delicious...wonderful on a cold winter's day. Then came the gnocchi salad that was scrumptous, something different from what we usually have. The sirloin beef dinner was cooked to perfection, very tender and it was well presented. The servers came around refilling the glasses, bringing anything from the bar that our guests requested. Afterwards, we were served a warm apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream that was like an old fashion New England recipe. Our meal was topped by the tastey wedding cake from the Konditor Meister. It was a light cake with strawberries in the middle....and almost too beautiful to cut!
As our evening was progressing, Elizabeth kept a low profile making sure everything was going smoothly. And it did! She was very instrumental in making the wedding and reception a wonderful moment to remember.
As the guests were getting ready to leave, each and everyone raved about the "feel" of the inn and wonderful meal..
The Red Lion Inn exceeded my expectations. I highly recommend it.

Diane Murphy
Hanover, MA

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank diane2989
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cohasset
Nantasket Beach Resort
Best Western Rockland
Best Western Rockland
#1 of 3 in Rockland
The Inn at Scituate Harbor
Nantasket Hotel at the Beach
The Beacon Luxury Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Red Lion Inn Resort 1704? Share your experiences!