“Very poor service for weddings.”

The Red Lion Inn Resort 1704
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cohasset
The Red Lion Inn Resort 1704
Ranked #1 of 2 Cohasset B&B and Inns
kristenSG
“Very poor service for weddings.”
Reviewed March 9, 2009

I had my wedding in September 08 at the Red Lion Inn about 200 people on Friday night… I love the place because it was very unique and rustic… I, like may other brides, read the horrible reviews on the internet but decided to take a chances. The people there were very reassuring that those reviews are 1 in 100 compared to the good reviews… NO THAT IS A LIE… I know of 4 other brides in my circle of extended people who got married there, they all had the same problems as I did..

To make it easy for people to read here is the problems with the beautiful red lion inn

We went through 6 wedding coordinators. Every time I’d call they make it sound like I was wrong, that they had always been there and I was mistaken.

We got a new bill every month for more money… And every month I talked to a “new” coordinator and explain that we already paid them and I had to fax a copy of the check…

TERRIBLE communication… TERRIBLE

The owner is a drunk that was hitting on me the night before my wedding

Day before my wedding I was supposed to meet the “wedding coordinator” (forgot his name but it was a guy)… He decided to leave early and never showed up…

Day of my wedding

1. Because the wedding coordinator never meet with me the night before, things like seating and wedding procession was all screwed up… ( For the record: I knew that the RLI was not organized because of the things leading up to the wedding so I has everything outlined EVERYTHING… I mean a baby could have run my wedding..

2. No communication the day of the wedding… I had no idea where I was supposed to be. I saw the “wedding guy” twice the whole day leading up.

3. The “wedding guy” was very short with my husband kind of arrogant

4. We were to have an open bar for cocktail hour, that we already paid for. They forgot and charged our guest drinks. When we found out they said that they would open it up for the dinner hour.. Well people drink a hell of a lot more during cocktail hour the dinner.. So that was a waste of thousands of dollars to open the bar that no one drank at

5. My parents table was in the wrong place and was in the back of the room… Even though I gave them a drawn diagram of where people were to be sitting… Honestly how do you screw up the parents table..

6. The bathroom was pretty messy, with paper towels everywhere on the floor…

7. They put the wedding gift table by the front door so basically any one could come in and take things.. It was not until we said something that they had someone move it…

a. BUT THE BEST OF ALL the red lion inn chased a check made out to me and my husband for 500 dollars into there account… I was floored.. How unprofessional and unorganized. Even if it was a mistake I was on the phone with them and they were adamant that the sent it in the mail… I had the couple check their account and found it cashed with no endorsement… I have call, written, email them about this matter and the wasted open bar and they have not gotten back to me… That was 6 months ago…. So now we are talking to a lawyer.. You know if they would just be a bit more professional and respond then maybe I would have let it go but you can’t charge those prices and not deliver…

All in all I have been reading reviews before and after my wedding and they are all the same… BAD and the RLI keep making excuses about it…. ( they are changing they are getting new management) honestly I heard it all…

If you want or are having your wedding here, It is beautiful… Food is great… And the waiters are pretty good… But you need to be on top of everything… They are not a professional team that is way the management changes so much… Get your own wedding coordinator…

Good Luck

Kristen Stewart and Mark Gilmore

• Stayed September 2008
7 Thank kristenSG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Mass
Reviewed February 28, 2009

You will be told, as we were, that this is just one negative review out of many positives experiences over the years. This, however, is false. Everywhere we go in the South Shore or Boston, people know someone who has had a bad experience at this place, and know that this place is a disaster.I have never written a review before but if I can help one bride avoid this terrible experience, it will be worth it. My daughter got married at the RLI this July. The venue was lovely, the food great, but the experience was a nightmare. The turnover in staff required us to replan the event montlhy. We were promised that there would be no function prior to the event and told to feel free to schedule the wedding for 6:00. Then, after invitations went out, etc, one week before the wedding they told us there was another wedding before ours, and that our vendors would not be able to get in to set up until one hour before the event. If our band hadn't lent their equipment to the earlier band, there is no way they could have set up in time. Our guests, including elderly people, were crowded into the small hotel lobby waiting for the wedding to begin, until they were finally told to move to the smaller function room. The airconditioning, believe it or not, did not work . Other people had the same experience. This, however was a very hot night and people were suffering. The bar ran out of alcohol, and then did not provide the premium brands we paid for. The owner is impossilble to work for. I can't blame the staff, who tried hard under difficult circumstances. They were the 4th or 5th people hired to run the event. We can't think of this experience without being upset and embarrassed. Do not be fooled by the pretty room; it is not worth the risk, particularly if you are planning a summer wedding. It is also important to realize that 180 people is really maximum capacity for comfort, and will still feel croweded, despite the claims it can handle more. One hundred people would be more appropriate. There are so many better places to get married. At least one bride from this summer is sueing. I wish we had the energy to do that.

• Stayed July 2008
5 Thank bridesmotherMass

Travelers are raving about these Cohasset hotels

Washington, DC
Reviewed November 19, 2008

There have been a handful of negative reviews about this place, but I want to squash them all. I got married a couple weeks ago and it was AMAZING. Soooo many of our guests told us that it was the best wedding reception that they had ever been to. I mainly worked with Elaine and she was great about helping me prepare for the day. A few days before the wedding I met with Armando, who was going to be our wedding coordinator - he was a dream. We went through the exact way I wanted the room set up (it was in Lion's Hall). He has an excellent eye for decorating and offered up even more great ideas :) He was available for the entire length of the reception paying special attention to me and my husband, REALLY taking care of us. He orchestrated the service to a tea - MANY guests said how the waitstaff seemed invisible. The food was delicious - rave reviews! I really could not have been happier. Many of our guests went to the pub at the Red Lion after the reception and everyone was so accomodating. We had bar food brought out to the guests, which was delicious and Gerry, the owner, sat a chatted with some of our guests. We felt right at home :) It was the ultimate New England fall wedding. My theme was simple elegance and the Red Lion helped make it all happen. Thanks again!

• Liked — The service
  • Stayed November 2008
Lowell
Reviewed November 17, 2008

We had our wedding at the Red Lion Inn on Friday October 17th and it was AMAZING!!!! Everything from start to finish was incredible.

I want to start by saying that Elaine, Lynn and Ron were the best coordinators ever. Anything and everything that we asked for was done and with a smile. They made our experience both enjoyable and fun.

The food was great and of course the space speaks for itself - so unique, warm and cozy. Our guests all had a great time and most are saying it was the best wedding that they have ever been too.

There are negative comments about the Red Lion and I want to let anyone know who is planning a wedding here that they have nothing to worry about - you will have the time of your life. Also, being nice goes a long way - if you are pleasant to work with people will go above and beyond for you!!

• Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
Reviewed November 14, 2008

Our daughter was married Nov. 9, 2008 and the reception was held at the Red Lion Inn. When we dropped off the decor we were told that the Inn had 6 functions that weekend, ours being the final party. You would never know that was the case. All I can say was the event was 'magical". There was so much energy in planning the reception and everything was just perfect. Elaine was a fantastic help in the supporting us. Armando was so attentive to any need we might have and has a real eye for decor so assisted in decorating the barn. The food was prepared so deliciously that all attending could only say wonderful things. Every request was completely carried out and most importantly the bride and groom enjoyed it thoroughly..."It was the best day of their lives." For any anxious bride or mother of the bride let me assure you that the day was PERFECT. Enjoy the planning and know that the Red Lion will carry out every wish that you have.

Stayed November 2008
Key West, Florida
Reviewed November 3, 2008

The location, ambience and architecture of the Inn are stupendous. The wedding barn is beautiful exposed post and beam, with wonderful period detail. The ceremony and reception were fantastic.

However our room had no heat the first night of our stay, and the staff was unable or unwilling to help us. The next night there was a loud rock band playing below our room in the Inn's Pub. My wife who was trying to get my infant son to sleep was initially told it would end at 11:30PM, but despite my calls (and the direct personal complaints of my extended family who were also staying at the Inn for the wedding) it went on until 12:45AM.

The owner of the Inn refused to speak to me on the phone that night, but then gave us all complimentary stays the next morning. A nice gesture, but a little too late considering how stressful the previous night became for really no reason other then the owners stubbornness. We almost packed up and left the hotel at midnight, it was that bad. Also, the next day we found out that we had 6 other family members who had the same experience. 3 of them had gone down and complained to him in person, as there were only a handful of people in the pub and he appeared to be letting the band play just to spite people complaining. Really didn't make any sense... very unfortunate ending to what should have been a very special and memorable family event. I'm sure we will look back on it and laugh, but it's not so funny just yet.

• Liked — Beautiful wedding barn
  • Disliked — mismanagement by owners and staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank OEKW
boston
Reviewed September 22, 2008

I got married at the RLI in August 2008 and after reading the negative reviews online, I thought I should set the record straight on this place. As a bride reading the comments before my wedding, I was nervous. Yes, there was turnover in the sales staff over the past year. It was not ideal. But I have to say that the people I dealt with at the Red Lion were extremely helpful and did their best to calm my nerves. We were especially impressed with Helena, Elaine and Lynn's professionalism and help.

My instinct leading up to the event was to be obsessively organized, but I didn't need to be! The RLI handled everything beautifully! The venue is stunning, there's no disputing that. But the staff there goes above and beyond to make things perfect. Their attention to detail was truly impressive. We wanted to have our ceremony outdoors, and requested certain items be out there, such as a table for the unity candle and a glass to smash at the end of the ceremony (all of which was packed up and returned to us after the wedding... cake too!). They didn't forget a thing, and even offered to set up more chairs than we needed just in case. The cocktail hour, by all accounts, was amazing. The raw bar setup was elegant and grand, and really wowed our guests. The passed appetizers were a huge hit. (AND they had trays and trays of food and champagne waiting for the wedding party when we arrived back from pictures).

The reception: Kudos to Ron and his staff for executing the reception like clockwork. This guy is a dynamo! He was everywhere, involved in every aspect of the reception, from introductions, to dinner, to the cake cutting to a group photo! You would have thought there were two of him! Ron is an amazing coordinator in every way, and we can not thank him enough for making our night spectacular.

Oh, and Chef Tony Ambrose, need I say more?! If you love food, you will not be disappointed. We asked for a tasting a month before our wedding and were pleased to hear that Chef Ambrose would be running the kitchen the night of our wedding. Any nervousness we had disappeared at that point. At the tasting he came out and introduced himself, and took the time to explain each course. Many of our guests commented that the food was outstanding, certainly much better than would be expected of wedding food. In fact, nothing about the meal remotely resembled wedding food; it was the caliber food you would spend big bucks for at a fine dining restaurant in Boston. One thing to note: allow a great chef to do his thing and try not to be picky about the exact menu. By letting him choose which in-season, local ingredients to use, you are inviting him to use his creativity and culinary knowledge to prepare a fantastic meal.

Another thing to note about the food: it came out timely and hot! Dinner service lasted no longer than expected, and our guests were on the dancefloor with plenty of time to get down!

The hotel: the rooms at the RLI are far from ordinary. They are cozy and warm, and each has a personality all its own. We can not wait to go back.

We can not say enough about our experience at the RLI. We loved it, and would not change a thing about our wedding day. If you are a bride that is worrying about your upcoming wedding at the Red Lion, please know that they will do their best for you on your wedding day. That's what they are there to do, and they do an amazing job!

• Liked — My wedding day was perfect! What more can I ask!?
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Keithp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cohasset
Nantasket Beach Resort
Boston Marriott Quincy
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 3 in Rockland

Been to The Red Lion Inn Resort 1704? Share your experiences!