“Visually enticing but didn't fully deliver on expectations”

The Munich Haus Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 122 Restaurants in Chicopee
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Orlando
“Visually enticing but didn't fully deliver on expectations”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Visited for lunch. Appetizer of clam roll, goulash soup and crab cakes. Goulash soup was hearty and filling spicy but very salty. Crab cakes appetizer portion were sized accordingly but filling was disappointing. My friend enjoyed his schnitzel and spaetzle. Service was slow but the hostess explained we coincided with a large party. Soft drinks are $2 for a small 12oz glass and I was charged for my refills adding $6 to the total check.

• Visited July 2013

Springfield, Massachusetts
“needs better sevice”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My wife and I went to the Munich Haus Biergarten. Actually a little disappointed. Service was terrible and slow, ordered drinks Beer was fine but couldn't get a mixed drink. Later the hostess said she would go to the bar and get one. That took one half hour. The appetizer was a pretzel and fried pickles they were fair at best.The homemade chips and dip, did not have much flavor and the dip was ordinary . No ever came back to check on us, had to ask for a second beer even that took over fifteen minutes. Service sucked.

• Visited July 2013
Bondsville, Massachusetts
“Great selection of draft beer”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

First visit here in a few years and actually a little disappointed. Always looked forward to their homemade chips and dip, but the chips did not have much flavor and the dip was ordinary. Appetizer was potato pancakes and not what I have had elsewhere. Cream of mushroom soup was okay and same with the salad. Spatzel was very good, but my Parmigian Schnitzel was on the dry side. Service was very good. Selection of draft beer was great and for some, just going for the beer should work.

• Visited June 2013
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Forget the food, stick with the beer.”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My husband and I went to the Munich Haus Biergarten, because we wanted to see our favorite band and have some dinner and dance a little. The Biergarten itself is very pleasant--a nice open space with a performance stage. There is a bar area between another outdoor eating area and the Biergarten itself that looked very inviting. The Biergarten has some small tables but mostly large picnic-style tables. They have a buffet table and a grill set-up in front of the stage which I was told would be taken down by 8:30 and one could dance if they liked. That didn't happen. Very disappointing. It doesn't make any sense to me to have a dance band or any type of live music (except maybe classical or opera) without having at least a small space to dance.

Now for the food. I admit German food is not my favorite, but I appreciate good food, regardless of ethnic origin. I cannot believe that when other reviews rave that the food in this restaurant is the best German food they have ever had, it would make one believe that German food it comprised of the following: spaetzle that is tasteless lumps of gummy dough; gluey tasteless gravy for schnitzel (schnitzel is not bad), salad of pickled vegetables which looked and tasted like frozen peas and carrots with chickpeas. The grilled chicken on the garden salad that I ordered was so salty it was inedible.
Except for the beer and a nice outdoor space, there is no reason to go to this restaurant, which is too bad, because it is obvious that the owners put a lot of effort into creating a welcoming space in this downtown Chicopee area that could use an influx of visitors.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank GoodVib
Erwinville, Louisiana
“Graduation Dinner”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Traveled to Mass. from Louisiana for my daughter's graduation from UMASS-Amherst. After unsuccessfully trying to book a reservation at a place in Northampton, I decided to give this place a try. We were an hour late due to the commencement running over time, but I called & they were very nice about holding our table. It was very busy & service was a bit slow to start. But the food made up for it. No one in our party had ever eaten any German food before. Our server, Melissa, did a great job answering all our questions. We had the Polish platter, Schnitzel, Hungarian goulash, and fried clams. As well as spaetzle & Colossal shrimp appetizer...I have NEVER seen shrimp this HUGE. and we are from the Gulf South. The homemade potato chips are complimentary & served with a delicious dip. We all enjoyed our meal immensely. The atmosphere is authentic, as well as the servers' dress & the accordion player. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone traveling through the area, I would definitely return & try out the bier garten & the desserts.

• Visited May 2013