“Forget the food, stick with the beer.”

The Munich Haus Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 122 Restaurants in Chicopee
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Forget the food, stick with the beer.”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My husband and I went to the Munich Haus Biergarten, because we wanted to see our favorite band and have some dinner and dance a little. The Biergarten itself is very pleasant--a nice open space with a performance stage. There is a bar area between another outdoor eating area and the Biergarten itself that looked very inviting. The Biergarten has some small tables but mostly large picnic-style tables. They have a buffet table and a grill set-up in front of the stage which I was told would be taken down by 8:30 and one could dance if they liked. That didn't happen. Very disappointing. It doesn't make any sense to me to have a dance band or any type of live music (except maybe classical or opera) without having at least a small space to dance.

Now for the food. I admit German food is not my favorite, but I appreciate good food, regardless of ethnic origin. I cannot believe that when other reviews rave that the food in this restaurant is the best German food they have ever had, it would make one believe that German food it comprised of the following: spaetzle that is tasteless lumps of gummy dough; gluey tasteless gravy for schnitzel (schnitzel is not bad), salad of pickled vegetables which looked and tasted like frozen peas and carrots with chickpeas. The grilled chicken on the garden salad that I ordered was so salty it was inedible.
Except for the beer and a nice outdoor space, there is no reason to go to this restaurant, which is too bad, because it is obvious that the owners put a lot of effort into creating a welcoming space in this downtown Chicopee area that could use an influx of visitors.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank GoodVib

Erwinville, Louisiana
“Graduation Dinner”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Traveled to Mass. from Louisiana for my daughter's graduation from UMASS-Amherst. After unsuccessfully trying to book a reservation at a place in Northampton, I decided to give this place a try. We were an hour late due to the commencement running over time, but I called & they were very nice about holding our table. It was very busy & service was a bit slow to start. But the food made up for it. No one in our party had ever eaten any German food before. Our server, Melissa, did a great job answering all our questions. We had the Polish platter, Schnitzel, Hungarian goulash, and fried clams. As well as spaetzle & Colossal shrimp appetizer...I have NEVER seen shrimp this HUGE. and we are from the Gulf South. The homemade potato chips are complimentary & served with a delicious dip. We all enjoyed our meal immensely. The atmosphere is authentic, as well as the servers' dress & the accordion player. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone traveling through the area, I would definitely return & try out the bier garten & the desserts.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank bprbear
Springfield, Massachusetts
“I JUST DON'T GET IT!”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Our server was great and she did give us recommendations. Our problem is we should have listened to her. I ordered goulash which was made with previous cooked beef. The lamb shanks were also previous cooked and then reheated. They were not fall off of the bone and they were dry. The small amount of sauce was not enough to help them. I guess I am not a German food person. Spaetzles ( little dry flavorless dough balls) are a choice along with sauerkraut or red cabbage. YUK! YUK and YUK. The place was packed inside and outside. I JUST DON'T GET IT!

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank leelemi
Chicopee, Massachusetts
“Bier Garten Opening”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

The four of us attended the 2013 Bier Garten opening on Friday night. What a feast!!!! The opening was by reservation only and included a buffet, sausage grill, roasted pig and a stein of Mai Bock beer or May wine for $14.95. Such a deal!!!! The buffet was all sorts of salads, red cabbage, sauerkraut, spaetzle, sausages and chef carved roasted pig (pork) and also dessert!!! They had a german band playing throughout the night and the place was packed. The food, company, friends, waitress and especially the hostess were fantastic. What a night to remember with good food, people and restaurant. We are looking forward to keeping an eye out for other Bier Garten festivities in the future....You know it's good when everybody sings with the German Band and bangs their beer glasses on the tables......

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank bdcyagn
Agawam, Massachusetts
“Excellent Food and Service”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I have been to this restaurant many times for lunch and dinner. I can honestly say I have never had a bad meal. Tina the server has always been pleasant and attentive . The lunch specials are always very good and fairly priced.
I will be happy when the weather is better and they open the outside beer garden.

• Visited April 2013