“Great stay”

Hampton Inn Chicopee/Springfield
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Chicopee
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Let me start with pros. We checked in 3/1 and out 3/3 room #105 was very clean just very high which caused an echo. A micro wave in the Room is a nice touch. The bed is very comfortable plenty of towels and coffee for the in room maker. The pool and hot tub was clean and plenty of towels set all around the room. The water did get very hot when the heater came on but just moving away from the jet solve the problem (maybe a sign where the jets are could help). Water temp in the pool and air temp was close enough so you did not feel cold either getting in or out of the pool. We were very pleased with the offerings at breakfast. Expecting just the usual waffles and cereal we found fresh fruit, two type of eggs, oatmeal, sausage, and strawberries for our waffles. There is always coffee, and hot chocolate for the guest all day long.

We have always stayed at the big M chain and never been treated this well. I'm am now a HHonors member and we will be staying at Hampton inns more often.

Now with the con. The only military discount given is for active members with travel orders. There should be discounts for all vets both active and inactive.
Check in was poor. Our group was to have a special rate but no one knew about it the receptionist said that she will reduce the price from $159 to 139 sounded good but according to your web site the rate is 139. So no savings there.

• Stayed: March 2013
HershalBK, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Chicopee/Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TA. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us. To get the best rate please book on hampton.com. We look forward to servicing your lodging needs in the future!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

First off the woman at the front desk that checked us in, look like one of Walmarts finest greeters! She was sloppy and hacking up a lung while checking us in. We got to our room that had a jet tub... The jets we're broken, the caulking around the whole tub was cracked and moldy! We informed her of this and she did switch our room but with no apology or anything. My husband and I decided to check out the hot tub in the pool area... Walked in to see a bearded MAN in a woman's one piece bathing suit which was special enough but then apron sitting in the hot tub, my husband burned his leg on the heater in the hot tub! Have never had that happen in any hot tub I have ever been in! The bed we're terrible... I shifted all night and was in a lot of pain the next morning. Was so annoyed that I didn't even bother with the free breakfast, just couldn't wait to leave! Oh and to boot, I stepped on a piece of glass that was on the carpet next to the bed. The place needs repair and better staff for sure!!!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer P
HershalBK, General Manager at Hampton Inn Chicopee/Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of myself and the staff at the Hampton Inn Chicopee I would like to extend our deepest apologies in the way your stay was handled. We try hard to make sure that each and every guest has an enjoyable and comfortable stay. If a problem occurs I except my staff to handle the issues immediately and professionally.

We take your concerns very seriously and have taken appropiate steps with the team member you encountered. Also, we have addressed the issues with the jet tub and pool area.

I hope that you will allow us another chance if you are ever in the Chicopee area.

Laurie Richardson

Reviewed January 30, 2013

No matter where we go across the country, we always try to stay at a Hampton Inn because we have always experience quality rooms and quality service. Our experiences with Hampton Inns have been exceptional including during our numerous stays in Chicopee, MA over the years. This last visit was such an incredible departure from our previous experiences we felt we should critique the hotel in the hope that changes will be made for the sake of the guests.

Let me also preface this review by saying that we are in no way 'demanding' guests. We do expect a certain level of quality in all Hampton Inns and we are always polite, civil and courteous, even if complaining of deficiencies in our room or service. We expect the same from the staff of any hotel or of anyone in the public eye.

We checked in on a Friday evening. Customer service was a bit lacking at the front desk. The woman working the front desk seemed as though she didn't want to be there and seemed to only want to do the absolute minimum. Courtesy was nonexistent. Communication was minimal. Any sort of sincerity was completely absent. This should have been our first clue to what was in store for the entire weekend.

Shortly after settling into our rooms (our party had three rooms), we realized we needed tissues. The front desk was contacted. About four hours later, someone from the hotel staff brought tissues to our room and was very apologetic. Throughout the weekend, we would find that this man who brought us tissues was the only man who was enthusiastic about his work. Throughout the weekend we saw him doing various jobs around the hotel. These jobs included running items to rooms, housekeeping duties, grounds-keeping, janitorial services, and covering the front desk. I still have no idea what this gentleman's job really is but, what I do know for sure is, it was clear that he was the only one sincere and interested in pleasing the guests. Unfortunately, this wonderful man wasn't in any uniform, or hotel shirt, or shirt and tie, so we had no idea how he fit into the hotel's management scheme. He, however, did outstanding work and was a joy for all guests.

That being said, if he is the manager, he should not be cleaning up, nor running errands to rooms, etc, and he should be in a buttondown shirt and tie. If he is not the manager, perhaps he should be the manager because we never saw anyone all weekend long who might be a manager. This was another bad sign.

The rooms... I don't even know where to begin. First, in two of our three rooms, when we entered our rooms we immediately smelled cigarette smoke yet all of our rooms were non-smoking rooms. One room was so bad that we talked with the front desk immediately. Her response was to tell us that the hotel was full. No apologies. No sincerity. No offers of remedying the problem. Just a curt “well, the hotel is full.” Later in the evening, the one gentleman who seemed to be doing everything at the hotel came up with some air freshener which only made the room smell of cigarette smoke and air freshener.

After stepping into the rooms fully, we immediately noticed “post-it” notes on each of the bed's headboards. Yes, “POST-IT” notes stuck to the headboards declaring that the bedding is clean! First of all, post-it notes are tacky. They are for offices for a temporary note on a document. They are NOT for signage in a hotel! I might expect this in a cheap, dirty motel... not a hotel and especially not a Hampton Inn! This was tacky. Additionally, just because there was a post-it note on my headboard claiming the bedding is clean does NOT mean I am going to trust it is clean. I will let my eyes check the bed, thank you! The beds were indeed clean but the post-it notes are tacky and should be left in an office environment.

At this point we noticed that all the towels in our room reeked of cigarette smoke. They were immediately put into the hallway and the front desk was called. New towels were brought to our room by the one do-it-all, sincere, hard worker. (And again we all had a conversation about what his duty title could possibly be... he certainly was not dressed like a manager, or even like an employee of a hotel... maybe he was a guest?) : )

While putting the new clean towels in our bathroom, I noticed that the vent on the wall next to the towel rack was actually blowing air INTO our room. This clearly is a health violation... moldy, moist air from these vents being blown into our room is bad, bad news. To compound this problem, the air blowing into our room smelled like pure cigarette smoke.

Since the front desk was of no help whatsoever, I resorted to blocking the vent with towels. Disgusting. Perhaps for my next stay I should bring my tools so I could fix anything that might require repair. (sarcasm)

Sleep was difficult and interrupted constantly by the heater fan. The heater fan was in serious need of repair. Whenever it was blowing, it was screeching away so loudly that it drowned out the television and we had difficulty hearing conversation in the room.

Compounding this noise problem, the refrigerator was quite loud too. It was not quite as loud as the heater fan, but it was loud enough to interrupt sleep.

On the morning of our second day, the curt front desk clerk almost arrogantly asked why we didn't ask for the “ozone machine” if our room smelled that bad. What “ozone machine”? What is an “ozone machine”? And, we told you the rooms stunk... you should fix it... or offer a solution! At this point I was looking for a new hotel for our next stay in the Springfield area.

A quick rundown of other finds...

Although the rooms appear clean, it is obvious that housekeeping just does a quick run-through because we found the same little bits of garbage stuck in the same places everyday after housekeeping came through. Housekeeping is doing a mediocre job.

That noisy heater in our room is located under the window, as is usual, but is covered in a never-ending puddle of condensation. There was so much water on the heater and running down the sides and behind the heater that I know there must be additional problems which we can't see... ie, mold, rotting wood, etc. And this is especially so in this particular room that has an exhaust fan blowing INTO the room all the time. More bad news. Housekeeping should have reported this problem to the manager and the manager should have this problem fixed immediately.

Pieces of carpet were missing in the hallway. Carpet was slightly stained in our room and torn in areas in our room. There was a water stain on the ceiling that was temporarily covered in mismatched paint. (I hope it was temporary.) The wallpaper border along the ceiling was peeling off and bubbling. These are more problems that housekeeping should be reporting to the manager and the manager should have them fixed.

The hotel was full this past weekend during our stay yet I only saw three employees... There was only one front desk clerk at any given moment (one too few for a full hotel, in my opinion). There was one woman working the morning breakfasts. And there was the one do-it-all guy. It is impossible for three employees to run a completely booked Hampton Inn. So, in short, customer/guest services was poor.

So, the question is, who is running this hotel? Do the employees care about their guests or are they simply there to collect a paycheck? Customer service was lacking for a motel nevermind for a good hotel. Our experience was poor enough that we are now looking for an alternate hotel to stay in for all our visits to the Springfield area. We noticed that a Residence Inn is being build one block away so maybe that will be a better place to stay.

This hotel could EASILY be a four or five star hotel (and has been for all of our previous stays) but our experiences this past weekend put it in the one to two star range. Hopefully, Hampton Inn will fix these problems including the lack of sincere, gracious and effective customer service.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
HershalBK, General Manager at Hampton Inn Chicopee/Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Patrick,

We are sorry to hear that your stay was less than acceptable. You accurately noticed that we were shorthanded that weekend. We had a flu outbreak as most of the country that rendered us unexpectedly short from the General Manager to a few front desk associates. We do not allow sick employees to come to work for fear of spreading the germs. We tried to pull all well hands on deck to make sure we maintained great customer service. I appreciate your compliments regarding out houseman, he is an asset to our organization. I will speak to him about his uniform. We have just completed a $500,000 public area renovation. We are researching your comments regarding the rooms condition and will most certainly repair any imperfections. As you can see from previous guests comments and your previous stays, we strive for quality and we are committed to guests service. The "post it's" you mentioned are a Hampton Brand Standard and unfortunately mandatory to all Hampton Hotels. Again we apologize. We stand behind the 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. I hope you will give us another try.

Laurie Richardson

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for years and will continue to do so. Out of the close to 100 nights I have spent here in total, I have not had a negative experience whatsoever. My most recent was the the week of Jan. 20th. It may look like a normal Hampton Inn from the outside but is very nice inside the lobby and rooms which all has been updated/renovated inside not too long ago. Rooms were very clean, staff was very friendly. It was busier than normal at check-in and the manager on duty noticed this very quickly. She jumped in to help immediately check us in. The location is very good. You can literally walk to a Big Y (grocery store) and a Starbuck is pretty much in the parking lot of the hotel which is a plus for me.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
HershalBK, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Chicopee/Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear Marty,

Thank you for the kind words. We strive very heard to make every stay enjoyable! We look forward to having you back!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

This was my second time staying at this hotel in Chicopee. I grew up in this city and was returning to visit family with my 3 kids. This is the best hotel choice by far. I received a great military rate. This hotel is spotless! The beds are very comfortable! Staff was pleasant. The breakfast was excellent. We had plenty of time to enjoy it as it lasted til 10:00 a.m. and we even saw people still eating after that time. The breakfast attendant was very visible and attentive. She immediately got more milk upon my request and was glad to do it! There were many choices of food available to please all my kids! The housekeeping staff is friendly and did a great job! I will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TA. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come visit us soon!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Breakfast is served from 6-10am... we went to eat at 930am, New Years Day, hotel was fairly busy. The eggs were cold and rubbery, few sausages left, absolutely no oatmeal and very little waffle batter left. When we, as well as other guests asked the buffet attendant for more food, she told us that breakfast was almost over and she would not get us more food. When we finished our cold eggs, we went back for yogurt and found that it had already been pulled from the bar before 10am. The front desk staff and housekeeper we had were very pleasant and helpful, but the rest of the staff, especially the breakfast attendant seemed rude and abrasive. Also our TV kept losing signal. The same channel on the tv in the lobby was fine. Front desk offered maint to check it out but said it doesnt sound like anything could be done about it anyway.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
HershalBK, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Chicopee/Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TA. I apologize for your poor breakfast experience. As you can see from other reveiws we strive to make sure our guests have a positive stay with us. I hope you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Our recent stay at the Hampton inn Chicopee was wonderful. Upon our arrival we were welcomed by a friendly and helpful front desk clerk. Our room was a large two queen room the was exceptionally clean. The next morning breakfast was full with many selections. I also have to comment the breakfast attendant was friendly and helpful. I will certainly stay at this Hampton location again if I am in the area again.

• Stayed: October 2012
HershalBK, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Chicopee/Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TA. We appreciate your very positive review and we look forward to seeing you in the future!

BK Investments

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicopee
Residence Inn Springfield Chicopee
Hampton Inn West Springfield
Hampton Inn West Springfield
#1 of 17 in West Springfield
Holiday Inn Express Ludlow
La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield/Downtown
Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place

Been to Hampton Inn Chicopee/Springfield? Share your experiences!