“What's everyone's beef?” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chelmsford
Dutchess County, NY
“What's everyone's beef?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We just got home from a two night stay. We were attending the Lowell Folk Festival, and got a terrific deal on Expedia. Having read the last three details, I had some trepidation before arriving. But here's what we found: a clean, attractive room with two sleep-number beds, adequate space for all our stuff, and courteous, helpful staff. Maybe we are not that picky, I don't know: we didn't mind that there was no flat-screen TV. We didn't think our towels were going to fall into the toilet. We thought everyone treated us well, including housekeeping, who gracioulsy honored my request for extra coffees for the coffee maker. We will go back, probably to next year's festival.

Room Tip: the main building contains suites. The building on the left is single rooms, which we have. The pers...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TSully_12, Manager at Radisson Hotel and Suites Chelmsford / Lowell, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank You!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

The Good: The room was decent and clean with a very nice shower. Sofa opened into an extra bed which was handy. Restaurant had very good food; internet access was fine, free parking (and lots of available spots.) Nice soaps and toiletries. There's some shopping right across the street and a post office as well. The area seemed safe and clean. The indoor pool was nice (it went to 5 ft) and there were locker rooms (the ladies' locker room had blow dryers & a shower along with a steam room.)

The Bad: Extra pillow was paper-thin, bed was hard as a rock, TV was an old fashioned CRT, drawers smelled weird, guest rooms are situated about 3 miles from the front desk and pool, business center etc. You have to do lots of walking. There's one washer and dryer to do your laundry. The pool was nice but again, there were a lot of kids playing in it (at 9pm with no parental supervision) and I'm not sure everyone paid attention to the rule of having a "cleansing shower" before entering the water.

A party of guests returned to their room at 2am and would not shut up. One guy in particular was a motor mouth and extremely loud. I called the front desk and the guy there apologized but I'm not sure he did anything about it (one guy at the front desk 3 miles from the rooms -- you do the math!) We had put our room service tray outside the door for pickup and I heard people walk by and say, "That's a grilled cheese" and "Don't eat that! Don't eat that, Jack!" and then the clinking of someone molesting the food tray. Weird. I could hardly sleep and was up til about 3 am because of the inconsiderate people across the way with their loud voices and slamming doors. We checked out a night early, it was just too uncomfortable and the good couldn't outweigh the bad.

Overall there are tons of conference rooms and ballrooms at this Radisson and it is set up to cater more to the event and business set. I wouldn't advise it for families due to the amount of walking (little kids probably will get cranky) and the noise from events going on. If I were attending a wedding reception or conference I think it would look quite beautiful (they have a lovely "grand" staircase) and be very comfortable.

Oh, if you're looking for the ice machine and read the book it will say that there is an ice machine on every floor. This is not true. There's an ice machine on the second floor though, so just take the elevator on up (and there's a coffee station right next to the elevators on the main floor so may as well pour a cup!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JudeCorrigan
TSully_12, Manager at Radisson Hotel and Suites Chelmsford / Lowell, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thanks you for you comments. It sounds as if you stayed in both the Inn Building, far from the pool and the suite building, close to the pool. We are in the process of replacing the guest directories in the room, so I do apologize they they do have some old information in them.

Travelers are raving about these Chelmsford hotels

Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Radisson hotel chain has this problem. The quality in the same name brand varies big. We have been to very upscale Radisson hotels, but this one is below average 3-star hotel standard. The front desk couldn't care less when customers come in. The room we were given looked like a nice small suite, and the manager left a personal note to welcome us as a gold member. However, the room had a strong smell: we suspect it was a smoking room. And the sofabed was broken. Then we asked for another room: the new room had no smell, but this time it's the AC. SOME ONE MUST HAVE PEEED IN IT! We couldn't bear to turn it on. Now the third room: another used- to-be smoking room! We chose to stay in the second room, just not turning on the AC.

Overall, the Amenities in the room are adequate. We had frig, microwave, sleep number bed, and a working desk. But the service and maintenance should really keep up.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BostonwalkerBoston
TSully_12, Manager at Radisson Hotel and Suites Chelmsford / Lowell, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thanks for your posting, I do apologize that your rooms were not presented as they should be. The suite building is designated for completely non smoking, there are guest who choose not to comply. We do try our best to remove any smell that is left over; I will certainly go through the rooms you were in again. The A/C units have now been replaced in all our rooms. I hope you will give us another opportunity to have you as our guest again in the future.
Albion, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

While on vacation to Boston my family and I stayed at this Radisson for 1 night and at a Springhill Suites in Peabody for two additional nights. I earn a lot of points traveling for work and decided to put those points to work for me during our family vacation to Boston. While this hotel cost me nearly twice as many points per room per night(28,000 per night to Springhill's 15,000), I found the quality of the rooms to be much inferior. As with other Carlson hotels I have stayed at recently, I found that this one was letting maintenance slip as well. Along with things starting to show apparent age they had sleep number beds that were terrible to sleep on. Not one of the 4 adults in our party had a good bed. I felt as though I was going to roll off.

This hotel also did not offer a complementary breakfast which the Springhill did. The one bright spot we had for this facility was the staff. They were very professional and helpful. It's a shame they have to work for a sub-standard hotel chain. I believe I will have to avoid Carlson hotels in the future.

Room Tip: Higher is better, especially if you are in a different hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 282Mikado
TSully_12, Manager at Radisson Hotel and Suites Chelmsford / Lowell, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Dear 282Mikado,
I am sorry to here about you most recent stay with us. Radisson has made a new standard to replace the sleep number beds with their new Eva-Nu pillow top style. I apologize that you did not receive a new style upon your arrival, more than half of our property has now been converted. We are also scheduled for an upgrade to our rooms to include new furniture and flat screen TV’s in each room, along with some new bathroom lighting.
We do offer rates that include breakfast, but we do not offer a complimentary as we are a full service hotel with a restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch dinner and offers room service.
I am glad our staff made a good impression on you and I will be sure to share your comment with all the staff, the good and bad.
As we complete our renovation by years end, I do hope you and your family will give us another opportunity to have a great stay.

Tobi Sullivan
Rooms Division Manager
Radisson Hotel & Suites
Chelmsford, MA
Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

This hotel was very elegant on the inside in certain areas. However, I found it to be quite dirty. There was a food tray that was left inside the hallway for over 15 hours! they locked us out of our room each time they cleaned it, there wasn't a free breakfast, and I found it to be overpriced. On the upside the staff was awesome and helped us out anytime we needed it, the check-in and check-out process was painless, the a/c and heat worked well, the room itself was clean, it was quiet and the internet was extremely fast.

Room Tip: shop around.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 1981chevy
Thank you for letting us know how your stay was. I have addressed the room service tray issues with the Restaurant Manager; she will review this with her room service staff so that the same issue does not occur again. I did have our engineering staff look at the door lock and after making a few adjustments they were able to resolve the lock out problem. I am glad you were impressed with our staff and the A/C and Internet were too your satisfaction. I do hope you will choose to stay here again if your travels bring you back to our area.
Tobi Sullivan
Rooms Division Manager
Radisson Hotel & Suites
Nashville
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

I stay at the raddisson relatively frequently for work as it is the cheapest hotel in the area. On the good side, the staff is accomadating and professional. Some of the rooms have HDTVs while others have sleep number beds (yet to see both in the same room though)

The hotel itself iis in need of an overhaul.

Rooms are older with peeling wallpaper and chipped paint. Amenitites like the pool are not clean (really DO NOT use the pool, I have sen that someone has left a "surprise" in it before).

Fitness room is small, cramped and not cleaned as regularly as it should be. If you go down the corridor past the restaurant you can see in the kitchen. Look in the kitchen area and you will be convinced not to ever eat in the restaurant.

The general lack of upkeep here makes me wonder if the Chelmsford Health Inspector is on the take.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank B P
Boston Ma.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

The rooms were clean, staff friendly. The pool was too shallow (5 foot section very small) and the water too cool to relax in.
We ate at the bar as the resteraunt was closed. Decent food but a long wait.
Overall, its ok for a business stop. Not good for family enjoyment if visiting Boston area.

Room Tip: Not much difference for its surrounded by parking lots.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
BEST WESTERN PLUS Chelmsford Inn
Courtyard Boston Lowell/Chelmsford
Hampton Inn & Suites Westford - Chelmsford
UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center
Residence Inn Boston Tewksbury/Andover
Fairfield Inn Boston Tewksbury/Andover

Been to Radisson Hotel and Suites Chelmsford / Lowell? Share your experiences!