“Best seafood in town”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 10, 2009

Fishbones has recently doubled in size so no longer is it the cramped dining experience as described by other reviewers. There is a fish market on the premises so the fish is as fresh as it gets. We go there at least twice a month and have never been disappointed.

Reviewed September 24, 2008

I was really excited when this restaurant opened, because it looked like it was going to be a nice place. That all changed after my one and only time there.

We ended up doing takeout because there weren't any tables available, but based on that one experience I will never eat at Fishbones again. We ordered two plates of fried fish, and both were very unappealing. They tasted of old oil, and that was about it. The fish pieces were very small (personally, I like to see a few large chunks of fish, not lots of small scraps), the breading was flavorless, and everything was soggy. I realize that can happen when fried food sits, but we ordered at the restaurant, waited there for it, and then drove home (~5 mintues). So I didn't expect that level of sogginess.

This is a personal thing, but I hate restaurants that offer "two sides" with an entree. I expect the chef to coordinate the sides with the entree in a complimentary manner, so the entire plate all works together. Not, "here's your entree, toss on whatever sides you want."

It is a mystery to me why every time I drive by there are so many people in the restaurant. Do people in Chelmsford really have such bad palettes? Or did we just have an unusual experience? Either way, it was bad enough we won't be back.

3  Thank timlikesfood
Reviewed May 12, 2008

We have been to Fish Bones twice since it opened. The food is delicious and moderately priced. The menu is extensive. The only issue here is the cramped seating inside the restaurant. If you don't want to dine where your neighbor can hear your converstation, this is not the place for you. Nice warm weather dining on the outside patio.
If you are looking for seafood in the Chelmsford area, this is the place to go.

Reviewed April 10, 2008

While dining solo on business, I wanted a decent restaurant that I could get in and out of in about an hour. I searched Tripadvisor and decided to try Fish Bones as I was in the mood for some simple seafood. I was in at 7:15 on a Thursday night and was out by 8. There was no wait but most tables were full. My service was efficient and the other servers seem okay too, so it sounds like the front has improved from the previous reviews.

I would have tried the special Chilean sea bass but decided to go for what I expected to be the safe fried Fisherman's Platter. Yes, boring but I don't eat fried food at home, and I hate it when I can make simple seafood (e.g., seared Ahi tuna - raw inside) better than most restaurants. So I decided to indulge in a guilty pleasure - deep fried food. The scallops (about 14-16 count) and haddock were very good. The shrimp was good, the clams were okay. No ill effects from the oil - while not over breaded, I don't eat all the breading.

I got a Blue Moon Belgian ale with my dinner and managed to get it under my expense limit. Next time I visit, I will try the lobster risotto which I failed to notice being on the menu. On the way out I noticed their seafood case and the products looked good.

1  Thank klinpa
Reviewed March 5, 2008

what we had hoped would be a pleasant experience turned into a terrible evening. The hostess was very accomodating and pleasant. She did say we would have to wait as they were busy,and that was fine. Once we were seated,we were wedged in between two other table of 3 at a table . Directly across from the 3 tables was a long table for a party of 14. The restaurant is quite small and extremely noisy. The party of 14 was very loud and we couldn't even hear each other. The waitress came and took our order for drinks,came back shortly and asked it we were ready to order,(we were waiting for a 3rd person,but appeared that they were not coming so we ordered, the salad came in a reasonable amount of time,but the meal was over an hour coming. We did ask the waitress after a while why we didn't get any rolls and she said you have to ask for them. Never being there before how would we know that? So we told her we would like them and then they came to the table. Again still waiting for the meal. My meal was fine,the other meal, baked stuffed shrimp, was lacking everything that was listed in the description. To sum up the whole evening,"we would never go there again",and we got no satisfaction from any of the employees.

4  Thank giraffeLowell_Ma