“Nice place, mediocre service”

Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
New York
“Nice place, mediocre service”
Reviewed April 29, 2007

My wife and I stayed here on April 27th and 28th. The place is beautiful to look at. The cottage arrangement is interesting to deal with, but by spreading out the rooms the plan succeeds and works well. This is New England and Cape Cod as one reads about in magazines and books.

Now the bad:
1) The hotel tries too hard and does not succeed. This should NOT be a Leading Hotels of the World hotel.
2) Upon arrival, there was huge confusion as to where to park in order to check in. After driving for 5 hours, the last thing I wanted was to struggle to find parking. The attendant asked me to park in an area that I bloked the driveway for one of the cottages.
3) Our cottage did not have adequate parking. There seems to be more rooms than a corresponding number of parking spots (either that or the Bostonians brought two cars each).
3) The restaurant has mediocre food and so is the breakfast buffet. Do not waste your time. On the plus side, the portions are large.
4) The housekeeping staff are dumb. On Saturday morning they rang the door. When I opened the door and asked them to come back later, they would not leave. On Sunday, they came by at 9:00, even though check out time is 11:00.
5) Check out time is 11:00, checkin time is 3:00. This is a really pathetic schedule. This is the only hotel I have ever stayed that has such a retarded and inconvenient schedule.
6) The house cleaning staff somehow managed to get our toilet clogged. On Saturday morning the toilet worked, when we went for breakfast and returned to the room to get our things, the toilet did not work. The house cleaning staff had cleaned our room. I complained and the issue was taken care off plau $100 were deducted from our bill. That clearly tells me that management knew of the issue but waited for us to call in.

Overall, it was a nice place to look at, despite the construction that is going on, but the service experience was truly a mixed bag. I would stay again at the rate wwe paid, about $240/night, but not at their peak rate. If they could not manage the service now that it is relatively off season, I can only imagine how confusing things are going to be at peak season.

Actually, there appear to be other nice places near by and in the town of Chatham.

Regards,
Dimitri

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank NewYorkTraveller1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed April 15, 2007

Overall our stay was pleasant, but I guess I expected a bit more from what was slated to be a very nice hotel. We tried to get a really nice room in a really nice place, but it was just okay. Can't say that I'd recommend it for the price. And with marginal food it would have been better to be close to other food choices. Some details...

The food in the Tavern was good, not great. Certainly making it overpriced. The onion soup in the Tavern was actually terrible. There is some flavor in it that was unusual and made it not tasty. First time ever that we couldn't eat onion soup. We had a meal at a fraction of the price in Chatham that was far better.

I should have paid closer attention during reservation, but we were not offered anything above the Ocean View suite and my guess is that there were rooms that were nicer than that. It was okay, but not a great room. I expressed a bit of dissatisfaction with the room on check-in and nothing was done which is a bit unusual in my experience. They should definitely let people know during reservation process what all the rooms are, availability of nicer rooms, etc.

These are a bit beyond the hotels' control, but our neighbor was nice enough to turn the TV on really loud right next to our wall at 5:45AM (which is early west coast time). We tried to knock on their door. The front desk was not able to reach via phone. Finally after sending security to literally bang on their door for several minutes they turned the TV down. The placement of that TV is horrible. I was a bit surprised that we weren't contacted again by staff or a manager on this.

Oh and the fireplace smells of gas.

Maybe I shouldn't have given this even a 4, but it's more that if you are looking for a 4-star stay, this hotel is close but misses on a lot of little items that makes it something below where the guide books put it.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
11 Thank TonyK_LA
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed April 10, 2007

We have just returned from a 4 night stay over Easter weekend. The hotel, our room, the service,and the spa could not have been better.

After reading some of the negative reviews, I think they must be talking about some other hotel. Most of the negative reviews seem to be from 2004/2005 so maybe things have improved. We have stayed at CBI several times over the last 15 years- our off season experience is always better than in-season. It is less crowded, quieter, and less expensive.

We were initially given a room in a cottage that was far from the main inn. The room was lovely but we didn't care for the location because it was cold and we didn't want to walk so far from the inn (although they do provide a van- just call for it). The front desk staff could not have been nicer regarding a request for another room. We were quickly shown other rooms which were upgrades (we were not looking for an upgrade). The room they gave us was just beautiful- a suite with a living room/fireplace with an incredible view, bedroom, and bath. So much more than we ever expected!

The spa staff was very nice, not snooty like so many other spas. Room service was so fast, the guy must have run to our room the minute I hung up the phone! Buffet breakfast was wonderful.

The only improvement I can think of is to improve the lighting. The inside of the main inn is very dark. Years ago the 'big room' was filled with white wicker and very bright. I liked that much better than the more formal, dark, upholstered look that was done during the last renovation. The inn has recently been sold and changes are in work. I am not sure what improvements will be made but I am hoping that they do not turn the cottages into condos! That would change the whole feel of the old, traditional, oceanfront inn.

• Liked — oceanfront, private cottage with fireplace
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Myrtle615
natick, ma
Reviewed February 18, 2007

My wife and I stayed here Feb 2007 & were unexpectedly surprised with such a wonderful stay. Overall, I'd rate this as very good, but not excellent.

Pros:
-excellent location. Our oceanfront cottage had an obstructed view, but we did have to change rooms. Some cottage rooms are advertised as oceanfront, but clearly less desirable views. Check your room before agreeing to it. The surrounding environment is very quiet and peaceful.
-complimentary limo service to restaurants in Chatham. We used this and were able to enjoy a bottle of wine without worrying about driving back to the hotel. The Range Rover picked us up at our doorstep within 5 minutes, and operates throughout the night.
-friendly service. The concierge & front desk were very accomodating & patient
-good food. The formal restaurant was closed but the more casual 'Tavern' was open. The food was good but not great, though prices were reasonable.

Cons:
-price. At $255/night incl breakfast for a deluxe cottage room, the rate was still too high for a cold, barren winter month.
-the in-room amenities are good quality but not luxurious

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank naticktraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Anchor In Hotel
Anchor In Hotel
#1 of 22 in Hyannis
Wequassett Resort and Golf Club

Been to Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!