“Has lost some of its charm.”

Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
Winchester, Massachusetts
“Has lost some of its charm.”
Reviewed April 4, 2009

This was the fourth consecutive year we've spent a winter weekend at the Chatham Bars, and while it is still a very pleasant place to stay, some of the more charming touches have been done away with. The complimentary afternoon tea in the lounge--which used to be a very pleasant break in the day (we're not there for the beach in late March, after all)--has been scrapped in favor of high tea in the dining room. My three-year-old doesn't have much use for $30 cucumber sandwiches, so we had to take a pass on that.

Also, several ancient pieces of furniture (including a red velvet chair/throne that was ridiculously large, and another furniture set that was sized for kids) have been removed. My kids loved that stuff and were devastated that the pieces were gone.

We asked, and were told that these moves were intended to make the hotel more "upscale". Perhaps they succeeded--there were plenty of fashionable Range Rover types staying there the weekend of our stay. However, we can seek out that crowd in Boston if we so choose.

We missed the sense that the hotel had some history. It used to feel like an old-school beach house or ski lodge, but much of the character of the place has been stripped away. I will, however, say that the food at the Tavern improved dramatically since the previous year.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Cantabrig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
Pottstown
Reviewed February 25, 2009

Really nice place however; we did not get refills on coffee in our room daily, nor did it get cleaned daily, there were cracks and spiderwebs on the walls, the people staying and working here were very upity and really looked down their noses at you. If your looking to go in the water make sure you bring watershoes b/c the water is filled with rocks and muscle shells it's a little gross. But such a beautiful view. We were so excited to go here and then so disappointed and for the issues we had they were so nice to give us a mere $50 off our total bill of lets just say lots of money. Found a new place at our next stop for a fraction of the price that was much better. The parking for our house was for 3 cars only so if you didn't get a spot you had to park down the block. For the money you spend you should be able to park your car in your house if you want to. No real store to buy anything for under $100.00 like water, advil, snacks, etc...

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank antyfreese
JohnCumberland114
Reviewed February 3, 2009

My wife and I were celebrating our 25th anniversary and decided on a spa experience at Chatham Bars Inn. I had stayed at the hotel once before on a business trip and my wife was staying for the first time. We stayed in one of the spa suites. A better choice for a romantic weekend with your spouse or partner would be tough to make. The room included King Size Bed with wonderful linens, gas fireplace with two comfortable chairs, dry sauna, jacuzzi tub for two, double shower including steam, great lighting, Bose Wave Radio, plasma with high def and great bathroom products and two robes. They have thought of everything a couple would want for romance and comfort.

We also tried out the spa and did a couples massage. My wife got the signature massage and I went for the Sweedish Massage. One hour of pure delight. I would suggest the treatments for late in the day as you will be totally relaxed and not want to much more after. The spa staff was very attentive and friendly and the mens and women's locker rooms had everything you could possibly want. This was my first professional massage. I can't imagine getting a better one. My wife has had several and she said this was her best as well. We had dinner in the tavern at the resort and that was also great. Service in the restaurant was perfect. We give the resort, restaurant and spa our highest rating. My wife and I have traveled extensively and stayed in many fine hotels. I know the Inn can be expensive during high season. It is the perfect spot that winter getaway with small crowds,attentive service and great off season rates.

We asked for a late check out on Sunday a one hour extension and that was granted very easily. The Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce also provided us with some great advice in making this selection and restaurants in Chatham.
Perfect winter getaway.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
poolside55
Reviewed January 18, 2009

We live on the Southcoast of Massachusetts and were looking for a place nearby to celebrate my wifes birthday. We looked at a few places and decided on the Chatham Bars Inn Spa because they claimed to have saunas, fireplaces, hot tubs, and steam showers IN EVERY ROOM. And it is winter so we planned on spending most of the time in the room. My wife also wanted to get a massage and the spa has a fully staffed wellness facility on the first floor. We arrived on Friday and from the start were very impressed! The grounds are gorgeous and incredibly maintained. Ocean views from the main hotel and restaurant are very nice and the size of the entire resort is impressive!
The spa guest rooms are the best we have ever stayed in and I can't imagine a better place to vacation. Our room had a sauna, a huge glass enclosed tiled room with his/her showers and steam unit, a gas fireplace, and an oversized oval hot tub! The spa downstairs also has an outdoor pool and hot tub that was still open even in January. Too cold for the pool but the hot tub was a toasty 105 degrees and we gave it a try. We got a couple of strange looks from bundled up guests and spa staff who walked by on the way to the spa. But it wasnt cold in the tub even though it was 10 degrees outside. We loved it! The fitness room is small but well maintained. We had afternoon tea and sandwiches on the first day which was very good and highly recommended. We ordered room service for dinner and it was amazing. We highly recommend the Baked Cod and the lobster roll. On Saturday we had a couples swedish massage which was outstanding! We went to dinner at the main dining room and again the food was very good. The lobster pie was in a tiny dish though and didn't have any side dishes with it. If you get the lobster pie get a salad with it or an appetizer. Prime Rib was very good. We had the same housekeeping woman the entire weekend and she was very friendly and helpful. Despite being a good ways away from the main hotel we did not have a long wait for service. We needed ice...they brought it inside 10 minutes! Towels? Robe? Room service? Whatever we needed we recieved quickly and with a smile. Everybody from the spa staff to the hotel and restaurant staff were first class all the way. We loved it and we are going back for my birthday in March. Oh and one tip...When you turn on the water for your in room hot tub...beware of getting soaked! The water flows down from the 10 foot ceiling!

• Liked — In room hot tub, steam room, sauna
  • Disliked — It was very warm in the room even with the heat off.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Sharon, MA
Reviewed January 3, 2009

I went there with my 2 kids who are rather rambunctious 3 and 6 year olds. I had read that it was family friendly but I was still worried that their running through halls and loud talking would upset other people. Far from it. This was the most family friendly place I have stayed in. It's upscale, yet not overbearingly so. Everyone was wonderful. The beach is spectacular. The town is a 5 minute walk from it and very lovely with restaurants, novelty shops and even a bookstore.
My 2 kids loved it so much, they begged me to come back in the summer. The rates are exorbitant but I just booked a 6 day vaction in June. They run a min-camp for kids during the high season which is included in a $28 resort fee. Which is in addition to the pretty high room rate. But I think it's totally worth it!!
For other reviewers who complained it wasn't fancy eneough, I don't what they were expecting. It's not ahotel, it's an inn. You can't expect it to be like the Ritz or the Four Seasons. As far as Inns go, it is as upscale as it gets.

• Liked — Location, service, food, family friendly-ness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Boston
Reviewed December 12, 2008

First, the good news... it's a beauthful location. And when we reported we had no hot water, they addressed the problem within a half hour.

The bad news? We heard three other families echo our sentiments - we won't stay there again. Disorganized, dining experiences only fair, and things not as advertised (for instance, the premier cottage room was advertised as having a "direct ocent front view" and fireplace... but did not and when we inquired, we were told we had to "request that" - I would have thought reserving the room as advertised was request enough). Perhaps the Inn was not on its game given that it was off season - but we still paid nearly $500 per night for a very mediocre experience, and won't bother staying in season.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not as advertised - very mediocre
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sla_ma
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2008

My experience here was great - they even upgraded our room so we ended up right on the water. The room exceeded all expectations - the bathroom, the large living area & the bedroom. It was unbelievable. Our only (small) complaints were the lack of dining in the area - maybe a problem with this time of year - and the fact you're on a bay and can only see the ocean a ltitle ways away. The check-in process was wonderful but did feel slightly pretentious. We definitely like our luxuries but we felt like we were a little out of place. I think this would be a better getaway for romance & business rather than families.

• Liked — room - spacious, clean & awesome
  • Disliked — location wasn't as good as expected
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Anchor In Hotel
Anchor In Hotel
#1 of 22 in Hyannis
Wequassett Resort and Golf Club

Been to Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!